Thread: In Search of Caves page

In Search of Caves

Dear Apples:

I just graduated from college in December and I'm planning a month-long trip to Europe to celebrate. I'll be in various parts of Europe from April 2-29. I don't have a particular itinerary besides my arrival and departure days and the cities I'll fly into and out of.

I'm really just looking for adventures and unique experiences and thought I'd put it to this group. Are any of you either from Europe or familiar with Europe who could recommend good places/activities/outdoor things/restaurants/etc. (I'm hoping to hit Sauvage in Berlin, among other thing) that I might want to check out while in Europe in April (the more paleo/primal-themed the better)? Any good hacks on cutting costs on ground travel? Anyone feel like hosting a young caveman on his journey through Europe? Any advice, support, resources, or other contributions you can make would be much appreciated. Grok on!

dado Guest
    slovenia has nice caves.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    slovenia has nice caves.
    Yes, I've been in the Postojna caves, which are quite nice. If you make it to Croatia the Plitvice lakes are pretty amazing. I love the Transylvania region of Romania, which is one of the few places in Europe that still has wolves and bears. Romania is probably still incredibly cheap. I haven't been in years but I doubt it's changed much. There you can travel very cheaply, rent tiny little cabins very cheaply, eat very cheaply. I always traveled by car, as I lived overseas, but there should be plenty of info for getting around online. I've never used it, but I hear that couchsurfing.com can be a good way to find cheap accommodations. I believe there are ride-share sites as well. Which cities do you plan on flying in and out of?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    If you reach the UK,there are caves in Somerset (Cheddar, Wookey) which were lived in by cavemen for ages. Also in Derbyshire, near to Castleton, the Speedwell Cavern and Blue John cavern. Worth seeing!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah, and if in Germany there's a Neanderthal museum in Mettmann, not too far from Dusseldorf.

Thanks for all the quick feedback, guys! I guess my subject line should have been clearer - it doesn't have to be actual caves (though I'm not opposed to that). I'm just looking for anything Primal to do in Europe (which could be caves, hiking, food, events, meet up groups or whatever). I love the Neanderthal museum idea, particularly since I'm trying to get to the Paleo restaurant in Germany anyway.

I'll be flying into Florence, Italy and leaving from Madrid, Spain, so pretty much all of Western Europe is "on the way" so to speak.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Lascaux caves in France.

And walk the Camino de Santiago de Compostela.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

dado Guest
    you should consider a trip to bosnia, where as recently as 1994 victorious armies were pillaging villages, chopping heads with axes, and probably eating a lot of fat from freshly slaughtered animals.
    Last edited by dado; 01-09-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've never been there, but the caves of Lascaux should be primal enough!

The Neandertal-Museum is nice. I visited it once. It's not very large, I guess you don't need more than 3 hours if you take it slowly and go through all the information provided. After the museum you could take a walk in the Neandertal, a nice area.

I am looking forward to visit that Primal Restaurant in Berlin. If I make it there before your trip I can report. Berlin should be worth a visit (but I've never been there before. Just planning a weekend trip there).

The wadden sea is worth a vistit, too. Usually you go on a guided tour (it's a national park (and World Natural Heritage, too), and dangerous for people who don't know the area, allthough it doesn't seem so). And usually you do it barefoot. Barefoot is the best way to experience that landscape. But it might be too cold in April to go barefoot.

If you want to travel by train, there is a ticket called "EURail". You can use (I guess) all trains in Europe. Cost depends on how long you need the ticket and on how many days you want to travel. Especially in Germany traveling by train can be expensive if you buy a new ticket for each distance, and can't buy it in advance. For example, a regular ticket from Berlin to Düsseldorf (Neandertal Museum) costs about 100 EUR.