Thread: Call me LJ. page

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.

Call me LJ.

Shop Now
    Well, this is my first forum that would require the 'Meet and Greet' intro. I usually just got to know people by posting.

This is sort of a rehash of my first post here, a post begun by saffronmomma over in the Nutrition Section I believe.

In October 2010, I began the month normal, in the middle of the night I suffered a stroke on the brain stem. The artery feeding the brain stem became occluded and tore open. I had a heart valve replacement in October 1998, so I am already on blood thinners, the doctors didn't try giving me more to stop the stroke. Over the course of the next 3 or 4 days, they allowed the stroke to run its course and I lost most body functions. I went from being able to guide myself to bathroom to using the utensils.

I made a full recovery from the stroke except for my walking and total breathe support for talking. I also occasional swallowing issues. Last month I had the pleasure of reviewing with may nuero-vascular doctor the damage to my brain stem. Essentially, I have a hole where the stroke occurred. I guess I was quite close to being a vegetable. Second bullet dodged in my life. While reviewing my MRI's from last month and 2010, the doctor showed me little white marks and explained those were dead blood vessels which he attributed to 'my cheeseburger diet'. After reading this blog and forum, I believe it should be from my high simple carb diet.

Although I had previously followed the Atkins diet, the summer before the stroke, I was eating fast food dollar double cheeseburgers for lunch and snacking on ice cream in the evening.

I also have Type II diabetes to add to my complications. When I entered the hospital with my stroke, my BS was back to the 300s, my A1c was almost 10, my cholesterols were close to 200, and my Triglycerides were over 250. Following a near vegetlow fatand lowfat diet, I got those numbers down to a BS of 110 to 130, A1c was 5.9, my cholesterols were 127, and my Tris were last at 150.

My blood pressures were moderately high before the stroke, in the 150s/90s range, they wouldn't let me come home until we were able to record consistent bp's under 130/80 range. Since a couple more visits to the hospital for a couple of bad falls, fever, and vision problems my blood pressure is back to 150/89 average.

I come to MDA by way of searching online for a primal diet guidelines. My diet this past summer has consisted mostly of whole grains and processed turkey meats and other lean cuts of meat. My wife has been creative with the low fat diet. But still, i knew something has been lacking. When I first got home I was searching for diabetes diets that could reverse the condition, I ran across several guys who had it and cured it by eating primally, and other than buying an overpriced ebook to learn about it, I surf the web on occassion. I now have a home base.

Weightwise, I entered 2010 at about 270, went into the hospital at about 250, and came home at 230. Currently I've gained back 8 or 9 pounds since I got home.

I have been preparing to go primal for a month. As my old weight lifting friend said back in the 80's, "You have to get cookied out." My plan beside adding more meat, is to get rid of the grain. Breads, crackers and chips will be the first to go. Then I plan to start adding complex carb substitutes.

After the stroke, I am hesitant to go against all CW and embrace fats. I am starting to realize the difference between grass fed animals and grain fed and I have found a farm about 40 miles away that specializes in this. I do not want to dodge the same bullet a second time, it might not mfraternityprrfmof is a fratenity nickname givhouse matesy one of my housemates. I was Little John. At 6'1", I am not very little but you had to see Big John to appreciate the difference. Afteacronyme add-ons the acronymn kept getting longer but basically, I began answering to L.J., so call me LJ.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Oh My~ your lifepath has had some deep potholes! I think you've found the smooth side now though~ just believe~ your body will need time to heal~

And Welcome!

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Thanks for your kind thoughts, Nady. Potholes are me though - I was one of the 789 Chrysler dealers terminated when Chrysler was allowed to abuse the bankruptcy laws. And this past fall my dealership failed because I was off convalencing instead of working. Just keep on marching forward.