Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scales don't matter? page

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

Scales don't matter?

Primal Fuel
    OK so I have seen lots of pics around of people weighing more, but looking better in "after" photos, but these people are all "normal" weights.
    I feel like im getting smaller (just over 2 months primal) but I have checked and I am heavier since starting. I feel a billion times better too.
    But surely at some point the scales will have to move downwards? I have 15-20 kg to to lose (my goal).
    So yeah I know the scales don't matter, but surely they have to change at some point?
    Or am I doing something wrong still?
    I am lifting heavy and riding my bike at least 3 times a week (20 km) not super far or fast, but I also do sprints on the bike.
    I have just cut out dairy 2 days ago, as I feel like it makes me bloated. I generally eat 2 times a day, no grains or packaged food of course, and very little fruit (maybe a piece once a week).

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    The scale for me is something to verify weight gain (or loss). It's easy to indulge in, for example nuts, once your ideal wieght is reached and you don't think much about your weight anymore. When the clothes get tighter, I step on hte scale and verify the weight gain. This lets me know exactly how much was gained and which foods to turn away from for awhile (all primal foods).

I used to weight myself ALL the time and obsess over 1 lbs up or down...now I know it's normal and some foods cause water retention (the 5 lbs weight gain over night), so I avoid anything that does that. Weight is so stable that (like I said) only have to bust the scale out if the clothes get tighter, to get an exact number and cut accordingly. I never let it get out of hand...soon I will be able to know EXACTLY how much goes up or down every month and won't even need the scale anymore at all.

The foods I cut down on are all dairy, all nuts and high GI fruits.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    People say to ignore the scales because it's easy to get hung up on making the number get smaller, or higher depending on your situation. When in fact this shouldn't be your target but a bi-product of your real target, which is to get healthier, fitter &/or stronger.

Take key measurements (e.g. chest, waist, hips, thighs & arms) and watch the trend. At a very basic level, if your waist is getting smaller but you're getting heavier I would expect to see your chest, arms and/or thighs getting bigger, although if you have a lot of body fat to lose then it is possible that they could all also be getting smaller while losing body fat and adding muscle.

If your performance is improving and you are visibly losing fat, why worry about the numbers on the scale?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    measure your waist somehow, and re-check only every couple of weeks.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post

If your performance is improving and you are visibly losing fat, why worry about the numbers on the scale?
    I have the same question.

yes good point, thanks
    I just wanted to know the science behind the scales not moving, but things looking smaller, but ill try not to think too much about it.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    If looking smaller that's good (and measurements are smaller). Using fat calipers may be helpful too.
    With 15-20 kg to lose you should start seeing the scale go down too.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Once you've lost a bit you may want to track more than just waist measurements. My waist hasn't gotten much smaller for a few weeks now, but I've seen a change in my hip measurement, thighs, and so on. Those bits are sometimes the last to go for women, so even as you get smaller and might feel like you've stalled out, tracking them can show you your progress.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I know I should say that the scales don't matter, because they really dont... but I'd rather speak of what I persoallly would be happy with, and thats a SLOW weightloss reflecting loss of fat and gain of muscle. If you have as much as 15-20 kilos of spare-fat, then I'd defineatly think you need to see a combination of both, especially since reducing visceral fat is very important for longeviety and health. It sounds like you're doing everything you need to do... cutting out dairy might really get it all kickstarted... it certainly got me started where I thought I was stuck (the tummy started to actually get flat, not just big and round).
    How are youf eeling in regards to cravings/hunger/peckishness etc? Assess those things, and if its not all dialled in to how an LS person feels, then I think continue the reset but stop the HIIT for a few weeks.

I never get starving anymore, its just gradual hunger, I really only need to eat 2 meals a day (breakfast and late afternoon) as well as a bulletproof coffee with ghee (its been 3 or 4 days without dairy now).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast