Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Support your local farmer...CSA's page

nettle1976 is offline Junior Member

Support your local farmer...CSA's

Hello all! I am an organic farmer from Montana. I am new to the primal diet (3 months in). It seems as though everyone here eats copious (in a good way) amounts of veggies, eggs and meats. I want to mention some local food options for folks on this forum who may not know about organic farms, CSA's and meat co-ops. I think is is very primal to buy local and eat seasonally .
    #1. Our farm is a CSA farm. CSA stand for community Supported Agriculture. It is basically a pay in advance vegetable subscription that starts in May-ish and runs through October -ish. It is a great deal, super fresh food once a week, you support local ag, and it is a taste of eating seasonal! You can find your CSA farm online on a website called Local harvest. There are sometimes options for eggs and meat included. *Often you can also buy root crops & winter greens in the winter from local farms as well. Contact them!
    #2. Buy a cow! You can actually by a whole or half cow, pig, lamb...ect from a local farmer. yes, they will butcher it for you (unless of course you feel the need to do it yourself! )
    #3. Local Eggs- All eggs are not equal..buy local! They are super fresh..especially when eating raw it is really important! Try to buy eggs that are not fed GMO corn, are free range..pastured poultry is best!
    #4. Chicken CSA- There are many chicken CSA's popping up. The same for veggies but with fresh chicken. Same for eggs..choose pastured poultry.
    #5. Farmer's markets ! Make sure what you buy is free from pesticides, herbicides and non-organic petroleum free fertilizers. Ask questions! Some say pesticide free but use dangerous fertilizers!
    That is all I can think of! Okay, I will step of my soapbox!

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    I've been trying to buy locally more often, but I didn't know about CSA's. Thanks for the information!
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I've always wanted to try a CSA but can't commit to the quantity. I hope that purchasing local from the co-op and farmers market is supportive enough.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I've always wanted to try a CSA but can't commit to the quantity. I hope that purchasing local from the co-op and farmers market is supportive enough.
    I think buying locally from co-op or markets is supportive enough, fantastic! If you are interested in CSA, I know that some farms (we do!) offer half shares!

activia is offline Senior Member
    I get beef/poultry from a local farm around here Welcome to John Crow Farm I love their program because they have pickup locations once a month so you dont have to store an entire cow. You can fit it in your regular freezer. They also provide eggs.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Some farms have different sized boxes available. I've avoided doing a CSA, but found out (a little too late) that a farm that's down the street from me has half boxes available which is more manageable than what the other farms offer. From talking to some of the farms, the larger the farm, the less likely they'll do this as it becomes a hassle with all the orders they have. So, in short, look for a small farm, they might be able to suit your needs.

spincycle is offline Senior Member
    I'm joining a CSA for the first time this year, can't wait to get started in the spring! I wish I could find one that has grass-fed beef, and pastured chickens and eggs too.

adameads is offline Senior Member
    I've been on a csa for three years now and have been very pleased. will do it as long as I live, and will add eggs this year.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    We buy completely local and seasonal. In the winter our meat/fat consumption goes up because there is no plant matter available locally during that season...so we all lose some weight over the cold winter months

We even get our water locally, it's from a geothermal underground water well, with high mineral content. The only thing we buy out of state is fish and the occassional lettuce from the store during winter.
    I LOVE the farmer's markets and co-ops around here.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
    I'm joining a CSA for the first time this year, can't wait to get started in the spring! I wish I could find one that has grass-fed beef, and pastured chickens and eggs too.
    I bet there is someone who supplies grass fed beef in your area..ask around! Nothing feels better than having a cow in your freezer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast