Thread: Wild boar meat page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Wild boar meat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok, so I bought something labelled 'wild boar meat' but when I got it home it looked like a 5" thick lump of white fat with a large section of thick skin on top, and about .5 cms of meat. If that.

Is that it!? Is that what wild boar meat is supposed to look like? Only I googled it, and it says that wild boar meat is LEAN!

I've never bought or ate it before, so im really not sure what it's supposed to look like. But I feel somewhat cheated!

I love the fact that primal is making me much more adventurous, trying new foods and recipes, but this boar fat, I'm not sure what to do with it. I really can't just sit down to a meal of veggies and pork fat... Lol... Can I?

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    I know just how you feel. I haven't cooked boar, but a few months ago I got an organic ham form a meat shop and I was shocked to find that it had more bones than I thought and at least an inch of fat under the skin. I just think the meat we normally have is way more processed than we ever dreamed.

Yes, I found out veggies and pork fat are pretty good!

Ancient Embrace: Ham Here is picture of the ham in question....

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    huh, i wouldn't buy that again, i like to eat meat for its protein. to salvage it, slice off the meat with a little bit of fat (you'll need a very sharp knife), and render the rest to use for cooking!

i have had boneless organic hams, i don't think they're less healthy because someone cut the bone out prior to packaging.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It depends on what cut you got. Jowl meat is not the same as shoulder. Belly is not the same as ham.

It sounds like what you have is jowl, which is actually an EXCELLENT cut of meat. One of the best. It's like extra-fatty bacon. Cook it, and the rendered fat is like gold.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Hmm... a bit too late to render it unfortunately, I put it in my slo-cooker with some vegetables. I added some pork ribs, to try and salvage it, but I think all I have now is an oily soup! I've separated it, in the hope that I can still eat the veggies and ribs... but it may be VERY GREASY! LOL

unfortunately with the language barrier, a lot gets lost in translation, but the label definitely said 'wild boar MEAT', not 'fat'. That's what threw me.

I will buy some more and try rendering it. I should have just done that in the first place! Ah, well, it's all a learning curve with these strange cuts of meat.

Now, what I also saw in the supermarket... was another package labeled, 'FROG MEAT'.

Any ideas on how to cook that, and if it tastes good?

SuperIvy69 is offline Junior Member
    It all depends on the cut. Sounds like you may have bought belly which is usually cut with a significant slice of fat. I shoot at a mates pig farm and know from first hand experience that some old standards i.e. breeds that are not considered productive enough for modern commercial purposes grow very slowly and can accumulate a greater layer of (belly) fat. So, boar, organic and or old breeds i.e. Oxford Sandy, Saddle Backs etc can be prone to this. I would suggest from experinece that the actual meat may be less fatty however. If you want a cut with very little fat go for a leg/shin.