Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement for coffee/milk and biscuits? page

pf3
    pf3 is offline Member

Replacement for coffee/milk and biscuits?

Primal Fuel
    During coffee time (around 3 to 4 PM), I have until now been enjoying a glass of milk (or a cup of coffee or tea) with some biscuits or cake.

I know biscuits and cakes have been "forbidden" by you guys. Any ideas for replacements that I could enjoy during coffee time?

What about milk and coffee? Is that allowed?

PrimalPam is offline Member
    If you are doing this correctly, you shouldn't "need" the coffee and biscuits in the afternoon.

Your very large breakfast of high protein and sat/MCT fats should carry you through till late lunch, which for me has become a small snack (a thick sausage patty). Which carries me well into dinner, which is maybe salmon and broccoli, or a small steak with veggies.

If you do feel super hungry, and you have not eaten lunch, then go ahead and have something with protein and fat: tuna with celery, etc. No more biscuits!
    Last edited by PrimalPam; 01-08-2012 at 06:06 AM.

nettle1976 is offline Junior Member
    I drink yerba mate in the morning. It is an herb from Argentina,Argentina, Bolivia, southern Brazil, Uruguay and Paraguay available at most health stores ( I use a brand called Guayaki). It is still used by the indigenous population. It contains mateine (sp) which is a form of caffeine. I love the "buzz" it gives me in the morning without any letdown or stomach aches.
    As far as biscuits go you could make something with almond or coconut flour but I would just drop them altogether! Here is a blog with some interesting adaptations to foods like biscuits Maria's Nutritious and Delicious Journal . You will find a recipe for biscuits if you search on this blog.
    I have tried to make "paleo" cookies or biscuits but it just feeds the addiction. I find that it is best just to drop the habit altogether. Find enjoyment and celebration in simple foods. I celebrate local/seasonal foods now. I have become very seasonal with my diet and get super exited about say the first asparagus in Spring. This is a new lifestyle and new way of thinking! Enjoy!

pf3
    pf3 is offline Member
    Yeah, I'm not going to go into any hassle making some biscuits replacements. Just skip this altogether. Thanks for your tips.

However: Is milk and coffee allowed by you guys?

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Coffee and milk are both grey areas. Personally, I have a cup of coffee about two to three times per week, but I think the threshold for healthful consumption is one to two cups per day. More than that will likely cause its detriments to outweigh its benefits. Make sure you're drinking non-decaffeinated coffee, and use spring water when preparing it (if possible). Organic coffee is even better.

Milk is okay if it's raw and comes from grass-fed cows, but other than that, I would stay away. The only kind of pasteurized dairy you should be consuming is butter, and even that is better if it's raw.

Really, though, the best judge of this is yourself -- do you have trouble sleeping? Mood swings? Acne flareups/skin issues? Digestive issues? Stalled fat loss? Hormonal issues? If so, you might want to consider finding higher quality milk/coffee or cutting back on either or both.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Everyone has a different take on coffee and dairy. Most people here are fine with coffee (unless it's fueling a caffeine addiction, which is not healthy or optimal). Some people are really into high-fat dairy, others don't consume it at all. I, personally, don't use any dairy at all, and I don't think adults are meant to be eating/drinking it (plus it gives me acne and makes me feel crappy), but others see no problem with it. So, ultimately, it's a personal choice.

PrimalPam is offline Member
    I drink coffee with heavy cream, but I am switching to coconut milk this week. I also add a spoonful of coconut oil to my coffee and mix in.

It depends on how your body reacts with it. Mine seems to do fine, but YMMV.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    This isn't an "us guys" rules kind of thing. Have you read anything about the primal lifestyle?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member
    If you're thing of something as "forbidden" by us--then I really think you have some buy-in issues happening. I'm with the previous poster, and I really wonder what your mindset going into this change is, and if you need to do some more reading to make yourself successful.

BearBruce is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was a big coffee drinker and lived in Brazil for a few years where coffee every afternoon is a ritual. It is hard to break the habit.

You do however need to accept that this craving is a sign that your food intake may be not completely primal or you are not eating enough. One way that truly helped me address in between meal cravings. Try taking 1 tablespoon of coconut oil after lunch. Try taking it around 1-2pm. I have even taken 2-3 tablespoons myself. It really satiates hunger. The rest is discipline that comes from you to avoid items that are not primal...i.e. biscuits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast