View Poll Results: At what age did you start gaining weight?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always been overweight

13 15.29%
  • 18-25 Years

22 25.88%
  • 26-35 Years

20 23.53%
  • 36-50 Years

17 20.00%
  • 51+

4 4.71%
  • I'm not overweight and never have been

9 10.59%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age when weight gain starts page

KristjanMG is offline Junior Member

Age when weight gain starts

Primal Fuel
    Hello.

I've always been hovering around 83kg (182lbs - muscular build) but in December I added quite a bit of fat for the first time in my life. I'm around 5'8 and I've been eating 100% clean since 2. January, and I had the courage to step on the scale this morning and I am at 90.5kg (199lbs).

I was probably quite a few pounds over that before I started eating healthy again.

A lot of people are overweight from childhood and it seems to be run in families, but for others weight gain starts at a certain age. I'm 25 now, and it seems that I may have to start watching what I eat a lot more. I've never had this problem in the past, always been relatively lean.

At what age did you start gaining weight?

amandalw1 is offline Junior Member
    I started gaining weight when I started having kids at 23. And contrary to popular belief, breastfeeding makes me hold/gain weight, not loose it. I'm still nursing my 2 year old (but we're down to twice a day) and the weight loss is slow going and every ounce is a fight. I'm hoping that when she finally weans I'll be able to make better progress.

badly_dubbed is offline Senior Member
    weight gain can start at any age....

i was lean untill i was 8, then broke both my legs in a bike accident, piled on the weight untill i hit roughly 20st. im 26 now. that was 2 years ago, i now weigh 12.5st

i know why and how i gained weight, and figured out how to fix it
    "Today’s technological age is enjoyed by the fattest, laziest humans in the history of humanity." -Mark Sisson

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My weight has always fluctuated but somewhere around 40 it became difficult to make it go down.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Fiverz is offline Junior Member
    I weighed 135lb in third grade (short and fat), 142lb in eighth grade after a growth spurt (stickish at my current height of 5' 10ish).
    Finished high school (playing football and lifting year-round) around 175lb, but ballooned up to 222lb over the next 10 years.
    I'm currently back down to around 185lb and still have quite a bit of fat to lose and strength to regain to match H.S. days.

So I guess I have been all over the map

SusanMcL is offline Member
    I was my normal weight until my mid-40s... then the excess pounds started creeping on.... about 1/2 lb per month.....
    I gained 30 pounds in about 5 years. It was such a slow change that I didn't take it seriously until now.. in my mid 60s and I find myself 45 lbs overweight.

Beware the slow creep as you age :-)

Ande is offline Senior Member
    It seems as soon as I was even aware of the concept of fat, I was already there. I'm looking forward to being at a lower weight because it will be the first time in my life I will actually feel completely healthy.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Over the years, I occasionally gained weight~like 10-15 pounds or so~ and easily lost it again and maintained the lower weight. Until somewhere around 40~ it didn't help that I also added CW foods like whole grains, pasta, and reduced fat ~ probably what started me on this middle-age weight rollercoaster! Now, I'm finally getting back to the 'wrong' way I ate when I way young and thin~ soon, I'll be old and thin! Lesson learned~

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    eight years old

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was about 9. My parents had just divorced which meant the gymnastics, swimming and ballet lessons stopped because it was too expensive. Movement stopped, depression set in and so did the fat. I played outside tag, bike riding etc. but it was not enough I guess.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast