Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Many Calories? (Or is this CW messing with my head?!) page

brickfur is offline Member

Exclamation Too Many Calories? (Or is this CW messing with my head?!)

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone! I'm very new to the PB way of living, currently vegetarian (plans/beliefs slowly changing...), and damn confused...

I just added up my calories/carbs etc. for the day on PaleoTrack, and got 1094 calories.
    I'm 18, female, about 62kg and 5'4"ish...

Is this too high for weight loss? (Weight loss is something I'm definitely, desperately after, aside from optimal health, of course!)

Break down was 67% calories from fat, 18% from carbohydrates, and 15% from protein... I know this is certainly less than ideal, but I'm overcoming my fear of fat at least, and I'm going to make a real effort with the protein when I am able...

Here's a log for the day, if anyone can please help me out... quite worried...

BRUNCH
    -2 eggs, scrambled, with butter
    -1 slice local, organic cheese

LATE LUNCH
    -1 egg, fried, with butter
    -5 button mushroooms, fried with butter
    -2 slice local, organic cheese

SNACKS
    -about 20 small red grapes
    -1 small plum
    -handful of cashews (ARE THESE A LEGUME? I'M CONFUSED! Whats your stance on them?)
    -handful of pepitas

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Brick. The calories are fine, but it's not the right stuff. Starting off a primal diet with a bunch of dairy products and nuts is a big mistake, as those are things that should be peripheral, not the bulk of your diet.

Where are your veggies? That should be the bulk of your diet. Here's an example of what I would switch in your menu:
    Brunch: 2 eggs scrambled with butter and a chopped up avocado on top.
    Late lunch: 2 eggs fried in butter, with mushrooms and spinach. Sweet potato on the side.
    Skip the snacks: Have a giant salad with olive oil dressing or a lovely broccoli squash stir-fry.

Yeah, you definitely need another protein source besides eggs. How about hitting up Trader Joe's (or another store) for a big bag of frozen, deveined, de-tailed shrimp? Those are really easy to just thaw out a handful at a time, and you can throw them into salads, stir-fries, soups, etc.

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    I definitely do not think that is enough calories...

I'd add 500 at least and still expect you'd lose weight rather consistently- and be able to maintain it. I lost a lot of weight CW calorie counting style- at 5'4" I stuck to 1500 a day and went from close to 200 to 125 in a year or so.

tapper47 is online now Senior Member
    Someone here posted this site.

This man lost a lot of weight and eats more than 4000 calories a day.

Peter Attia | The War on Insulin and the Defense of Fat

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I agree more veggies are required. I would try an increase your protein intake too, to help strengthen/build up muscle.

As long as you tolerate cheese well, i.e. no associated gastrointestinal, skin, joint or sinus related symptoms, I don't think that's a problem.

Having read the other threads that you've started, I believe you are quite malnourished, certainly magnesium deficient. Make sure you are getting enough salt. If your sodium is running low your body will sweat more potassium and magnesium instead.

You may not like this, but I suggest that you focus on optimizing your nutritional intake (especially more protein, omega 3, vitamins and minerals) first and foremost and aim for weight maintenance and healing your body for a month or two before you attempt weight loss.

If the exercise you're doing is hurting then do something gentler like walking. A lot of posters here say they started PB just with the diet in the first month, and then adopted PB exercise/weight training in their second month or even later. It's not an all-or-nothing regime - you could get better results by easing yourself in gently rather than attempting 100% compliance from day 1.

Almonds are a great source of magnesium. Instead of cashews, I suggest almond butter on apple slices for a snack, or along with a meal. With time you will feel you want to snack less. So aim to cut down on snacking gradually but don't stress about it.

I also recommend eating as many superfood vegetables as possible, especially bell peppers, carrots, red onions, spinach, broccoli, avocado,asparagus, sweet potatoes, garlic.

Also try to include some coconut oil or coconut cream a few days a week.

Eat a big salad every day if possible,with a dressing of olive oil + apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, e.g. fresh spinach leaves, spring onions, grated carrot, slices of bell pepper, cubes of cheese, a few chopped walnuts.

Aim to eat at least 6 different types of vegetable each day, and only 1 small portion of fruit.

And I still encourage you try eating fish. It's great that you're so ethically minded, but your health really should take priority.

That's just my opinion.

Seems like you have the willpower, so I anticipate you'll get some great results.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-08-2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: typo
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper47 View Post
    Someone here posted this site.

This man lost a lot of weight and eats more than 4000 calories a day.

Peter Attia | The War on Insulin and the Defense of Fat
    lol, and he seems to be an elite athlete who trains a LOT and has a huge amount of muscle mass. Manny Pacquiao weighs less than 150 pounds and eats about 8,000 calories a day when he is training. Should we all eat 8,000 calories a day?

Patchthebun is offline Member
    Brickfur- even by CW standards your aren't getting enough calories. At 5'4" and 62kg you most likely aren't really overweight. Skinny-fat, maybe, but not overweight. I'm a couple lbs lighter than you, almost 5" shorter, and I'm not SUPER overweight. I can lose weight eating a solid 1300cal/day. so 1096 is far, far too low for you.

You're too restrictive.

Patchthebun is offline Member
    Also- ditto what Paleo-bunny said about being malnourished.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brickfur View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm very new to the PB way of living, currently vegetarian (plans/beliefs slowly changing...), and damn confused...
    I'll bet, they're pretty contrasting beliefs about food that you're changing between! Congrats on trying to improve your health though. On the plus side though, primal isn't all that different from a vegetarian diet in the sense that the bulk of your food should be veggies either way. So that won't be a change for you. Only difference is that now you want to add some animal products (meat and eggs, maybe dairy if you tolerate it well) alongside the piles of veg.

Are you working out? You didn't mention, but that's a big factor in how much you need to eat.

As far as "is 1094 calories too much for weightloss?"... I'd say no way, especially if you're active. Don't worry too much about calories though. Yes, the amount of food you eat does matter, but get yourself eating the right foods to satiety first and then play around.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Paleo-bunny for the win.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast