Thread: YAYOG questions page

Climber is offline Junior Member

YAYOG questions

Primal Fuel
    Well I decided to get back into working out again and decided to pick up the book You Are Your Own Gym. Looked through it and it looked great. Most importantly, it had workouts with a variety or bodyweight exercises. After hurting my back squatting with weights, I've always been a bit hesitant with using weights again. So I decided to try the Intermediate Level workout Ladder since I kinda assumed I was in relatively good shape since at age 17, high school sports for me after a big part of my extracirriculars. I completed the first week Friday night and had some questions.

When doing the ladders for 7.5 minutes, its killer. I start to burn out on some of the exercises and have to do just 1 each time after about 3 minutes into the exercise. However, after this point, I can do 1 rep with perfect form with about 5 seconds of rest continuously, but if I try two reps, I fail on the second. Is this normal and ok for me to reach a point where I'm just doing 1 rep and resting for about 4 minutes? It seems unhelpful.

Another question is, how do you incorporate rest days into the schedule? The workouts have 8 days of exercise within 2 weeks. Would you do 2 days on then 2 days off? Or keep to the 1 day on 1 day off rule?

brachiate is offline Senior Member
    For the ladders where I have that trouble I slow the pace, and the rest periods then lengthen in proportion (the iphone app does this for you automatically which is handy). Also limiting the maximum number of reps on your ladders might help, where I hit that limit initially as you describe I just made the ladders go up to 4 reps, which let me finish the 7.5 minutes. As it's the muscular endurance component of the program it is a challenge and gets easier as your form becomes more efficient and you build stamina. If it's still a struggle maybe start with the beginner program - going by the reviews some gym users feel the need to do this as it is demanding and they didn't have the foundation of fitness they thought (that's been my experience). His website has a forum that he answers questions in if that doesn't do the trick.

For rest days I go by how my muscles feel and it varies, but I often do 2 days on and 2 days off so the week's workouts take me 8 days. As consecutive workouts target different areas and the sessions aren't all that long I think there's less scope for overtraining than there could be, so perhaps I ought to push it more.
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
    (Lily Tomlin)

I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
    (Arthur De Vany)

szorn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber View Post
    Well I decided to get back into working out again and decided to pick up the book You Are Your Own Gym. Looked through it and it looked great. Most importantly, it had workouts with a variety or bodyweight exercises. After hurting my back squatting with weights, I've always been a bit hesitant with using weights again. So I decided to try the Intermediate Level workout Ladder since I kinda assumed I was in relatively good shape since at age 17, high school sports for me after a big part of my extracirriculars. I completed the first week Friday night and had some questions.

When doing the ladders for 7.5 minutes, its killer. I start to burn out on some of the exercises and have to do just 1 each time after about 3 minutes into the exercise. However, after this point, I can do 1 rep with perfect form with about 5 seconds of rest continuously, but if I try two reps, I fail on the second. Is this normal and ok for me to reach a point where I'm just doing 1 rep and resting for about 4 minutes? It seems unhelpful.

Another question is, how do you incorporate rest days into the schedule? The workouts have 8 days of exercise within 2 weeks. Would you do 2 days on then 2 days off? Or keep to the 1 day on 1 day off rule?

Here is what Mark says in his book-

" Be sure you can always do the required amount of reps with good form, while at
    the same time not exceeding the required amount of reps."

"Train yourself to perform the exercises correctly. If you reach muscle failure at any
    point during your ladder workout, you went too high before coming back down. This is
    meant to be a high-volume/low-intensity workout."

"It is okay to perform the ladder workout in the low rep range—possibly even repeating
    single reps towards the end of the workout, in order to avoid hitting failure."

Since Mark has you training each muscle once per week try a 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off approach. In other words- something like Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri with Wed, Sat, & Sun off.

Steve

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree with the posters as I had completed the basic training module late last year in between weight lifting cycles. I found the two days on, 1 day off to work for me even though initially I pushed through and worked out four days straight in the beginning.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes