Thread: Eat fast, fast eater! page

annadragon is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I'm not talking about those crazy speed eater who gorge on 1295823495874 hotdogs in 22 seconds, I'm talking about your average intake speed.

I'm always reading in popular media about how you should chew your food, set down your fork between bites, take your time so your belly will be able to signal fullness.

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/45125/7-reasons-youre-still-overweight-and-how-to-get-slim-fast/

I, also recall reading on Free the Animal a sentiment that I could get behind: Paleo man didn't set the table with china and engage in arbitrary table manners. He dug in cause he had to get his fill before skulking lions came to partake of the kill.

I've been admonished in the past or marveled at for my ability to inhale my meal. Somehow it is impolite to eat too fast or too slow, we must be Goldilocks finding the eating speed that is "just right". Despite repast being, perhaps, traditionally communal because you had to dig in right away why has that given way to being social? Why has that translated to this pseudo-science silliness of eating slowly translating to satiety and weight control?

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

That list is hilarious.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I don't know about pure speed for the sake of satiety signaling, that seems a bit pointless. Thoroughly chewing food for better digestion is quite important and will take longer than otherwise. Whether or not Grok chewed his food thoroughly, it should be done. What he ate matters, but the manner in which he ate need not dictate how we do.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

Well for the sake of manners it's a nice thing to pace your eating so you're done at the same general time as your dining companions.

But if I'm by myself I'll bolt my food down in front of the TV. I haven't noticed that leads to me overeating. If there's too much on my plate then it goes into a baggie for leftovers. I've never been a member of the "Clean Plate Club."

OTOH if I'm really enjoying something I will slow down and savor each bite. Because each bite is delicious and I want to enjoy it as long as possible. But I'm a bit of a sensualist when it comes to eating.

Shine is offline Member

During the decade that I worked in restaurants, I became accustomed to speed eating. Now, even a few years away from rushed mealtimes, I still eat fast even though I consciously try to break the habit.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

My husband eats like an animal. Crouched over it, wary like a pitbull, and shoveling it in as fast as possible. He says it's because he has 9 siblings and it was survival of the fit growing up. There was only so much food and you had to get it while the getting was good.

maba is offline Senior Member

Overweight people skip breakfast takes the cake!

MightyMite is offline Member

My father was the youngest of 11 (would have been 14 if 3 had survived infancy) and he ate really slowly. He claimed it was because the serving platter didn't have much on it by the time it made it down to his end of the table. He was a thin, tiny guy but he did get his money's worth at buffets--he just finished quite a bit after the rest of us.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

I do all of those things and I'm not overweight.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

gazb is offline Junior Member

Raphael: same here.

I guess churning out these articles keeps people overweight so keeps the writers in a job...