Thread: 1 month in and loving it :) page

FeeL is offline Junior Member

1 month in and loving it :)

Shop Now
    Hi Everyone,

I have been eating primal (besides xmas day, boxing day and new years eve!) for the last 30 days and have found Mark's articles so helpful that I thought I would join.

There is little to no support for my new way of eating with family and friends. If one more person tells me they're worried about my intake of saturated fats and the fact I do not eat grains, I am going to strangle them!!! So I thought to keep me motivated I would join, and to learn more too

So I have been a typical yo yo dieter my whole life, and big on the 'low fat' diets, so I am just loving being able to gorge on fat

I originally started this to increase my athletic performance (avid CrossFitter!) but also to lose those last few kgs of body fat that just won't seem to budge. As I read more and more, I discovered there are so many other exciting health benefits to look forward to.

So although I was doing CrossFit 4x a week and have been switching to primal, there was 1 big thing holding my health back and that was that I was a smoker. Something I really wanted to change but was so attached and addicted to. I am 1 week into my 'quit' plan and have spent the last week drastically cutting my cigarettes down and to only smoke of a night time. Today is the first day that is smoke free and hopefully will stay this way for the rest of my life.

So far with primal eating I have not lost anything on the scales which does disapoint me, however I have lost 1/2 inch from each thigh and 1/2 inch from my hips. I have much more energy and am starting to feel stronger. I have also noticed that a rash I have on my upper arms that has been there pretty much my whole life is starting to go. I have also had some sort of tendon or ligament pain/damage in my right ankle for the last few years. When I rotate that joint I get intense shooting pain, but it doesn't actually hurt to exercise on but can feel slightly irritated. Well, this pain is gone. When I rotate my ankle now, I feel where the pain used to be, ever so slightly, but no actual pain.

So all in all i'm really enjoying my primal lifestyle, but I am starting to get carried away with the regular consumption of dark, low sugar chocolate so I would like to cut this back. I would also like to cut back on my dairy so that I am only consuming say, 4 or so serves a week. My dairy sources right now are cheese, plain greek yoghurt and milk (for coffee). I have 2 coffees daily and would eat approx 1 other serve of dairy a day. I'm not sure if this is the cause for me not losing weight or what. My carbs are defintely low enough and I have spent most of the last month in ketosis with very little to show for it in terms of weight loss. So I figure I must be overdoing my calories in fat and protein. My carb intake is around 40gr a day.

I have reduced cardio and increased weight lifting sessions.

Any other ideas would be great

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Sounds like you are on the right track.

I'd avoid cheese, and switch to cream in your coffee. Make sure you're getting lots of veggies, and limiting processed meat. Cut nuts out too, if you're eating them. By the sounds of your ailments you are very affected by inflammation (the rash, the ankle pain) so this may help spur that healing along.

Your slow weight loss... Well, if you think you're eating too much, you probably are. Just cut down on portion sizes or meal frequency. The latter is best, research Intermittent Fasting.

FeeL is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your reply. I am eating about 2000 cals a day (5'5 female, 64kgs) so I am cutting down to 1600 with approx macros of 65% fat, 25% protein and 10% carbs. Will lose the nuts, dark choc and cheese and see what changes occur.

I have read up on IF but don't think i'm ready for this as I have tried a few times and I end up binging...the bingeing is on primal foods, but it is a binge none the less, so I think I will give myself a bit more time to adapt then will try this.

Have also added fish oil tabs to boost omega 3's to help with inflammation.

ozziechick is offline Junior Member
    Hi Feel
    glad to see fellow aussie!!
    Best of luck with it all.

PS: Dont forget muscle weighs more than fat! Sounds like you have lost body fat and build up muscle. half inch is quite a bit of 'Mass" to have lost in a month i reckon mate! So sounds like you are losing fat to me.