Thread: Howdy everyone! page

angincanada is offline Junior Member

Howdy everyone!

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone

My name is Angela and I am from BC Canada. Have been toying with the idea of primal living for the past while, but finally got a kick in my butt from my doctor when she suggested I look into it.

I am 30 years old with a hubby of almost 10 years and 2 wonderful children. I have been overweight/obese for the past 15 or so years. Grew up on a SAD with much emphasis on junk food and potatoes. My mom would go to the store and bring us each home a 2L bottle of pepsi or coca-cola and we would sit watching tv and drink our 2L bottles of pop! ACK! Those habits have lingered with me since.

In the past 2 years I have started having problems with anxiety and panic. My PMS started getting worse, really snappy with my kids. At one point just over a year ago I was agorophobic (couldn't leave the house because I was so afraid of having a panic attack). Thankfully I was able to coax myself out of the house for a few minutes and each day I was able to go out longer even though it was excrutiating going out because of the anxiety. In February 2011 I started on cipralex for the anxiety and panic and within a few weeks I was able to go our for long periods of time, grocery shop, etc. I was also put on ativan to take as needed (have only taken it twice). My diet still was the SAD. I only have myself to blame for the diet, but despite going to the doctor many times I was never told how big of an impact nutrition has on mental health. It should have been common sense, but when it's a daily battle just so get up in the morning, I had no time to cook a proper meal.

So I went to my doctor the other day and she told me that she has been doing a lot of research on paleo/primal living as a way to help heal the brain from the constant stress of panic attacks and anxiety. She really wants to give it my best effort because she knows how much I would love to be off meds at some point in the future.

I owe it to MYSELF to give it a whole hearted try. I owe it to my kids to be the best mom I can be. I owe it to my husband to be the best wife I can be. I am sick of being too tired to play with the kids, too anxious to go on a trip with my husband, too anxious to sit in the front row at my childrens choir performances, too anxious and tired to go to work.

So I started today. It was hard, but I made it through. My SAD diet before would have been as follows: Breakfast, white bagel with strawberry cream cheese with a tea, 2 sugars, and 2 cream. Lunch: peanut butter sandwich, half an apple, triscuits or wheat thins. Dinner: some sort of meat, white potatoes with butter, and corn. Snacks would be cookies, chips, bananas, yogurt.

So today I had: Breakfast: 3 slices bacon, 2 eggs. Lunch: 2 cups romaine with celery, cucumber, red pepper, 2 slices turkey meat with about 1 tbsp kraft ranch dressing (have to buy some better stuff tommorow). 1 stalk celery stuffed with flaked chicken and dill. Dinner: 1 chicken leg, 1/2 cup sweet potato with about 1 tbsp butter and 1/2 cup peas.

I would love to be able to lose some weight. I am 5'8, 209 lbs and right now lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle since I am so tired. BUT, I am in this for general health. I need to improve my mental health and I am sure the SAD isn't doing anything positive for my wellbeing since I am so malnourished from my shitty diet.

Anyways, I'm rambling, but I look forward to meeting you all. This seems like a great forum!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Angela! Good luck on primal.

I'm wondering if you are eating enough, especially enough fat and protein.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

I plugged in my info and it said 1686 calories, 86 g protein , 121 g fat, 53 g carbs

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! My husband and I lived in BC before we moved back to Toronto. :-) Where are you? We were in Kits, then Langley (when we got horses).

May I suggest you wrap your head around the idea of making just ONE homemade condiment: Mayonnaise. Why? Because it's simple (just a few ingredients, which you have in the house) plus it is the base of so many other things. Ranch dressing (just add a little sour cream and spices) or tartar sauce (pickles, lemon, and a bit of stevia). You're not going to find a dressing (or mayo) that doesn't use terrible oil. Since we like fat on this diet, a good mayo recipe will serve you well.

Quote Originally Posted by GrokON View Post
    Welcome! My husband and I lived in BC before we moved back to Toronto. :-) Where are you? We were in Kits, then Langley (when we got horses).

May I suggest you wrap your head around the idea of making just ONE homemade condiment: Mayonnaise. Why? Because it's simple (just a few ingredients, which you have in the house) plus it is the base of so many other things. Ranch dressing (just add a little sour cream and spices) or tartar sauce (pickles, lemon, and a bit of stevia). You're not going to find a dressing (or mayo) that doesn't use terrible oil. Since we like fat on this diet, a good mayo recipe will serve you well.
    We are in the west kootenays. Beautiful here!

I actually made some easy salad dressing yesterday. Just olive oil, vinegar and epicure Italian spices. Yum! As for mayo, we use it maybe once every 2 weeks or so and I am not sure it would be worth It to make such a tiny batch since it doesn't last too long.

I also forgot to say in my op, since going on cipralex for the anxiety I have packed on 40 lbs!

patski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    More Canadians! Awesome!

Try a bacon fat dressing =) I'm confident you could put bacon fat on ANYTHING, and we'd all eat it!

I really ought to try making home-made mayo again. I tried once with a mixture of olive oil, clarified butter, but it didn't get thick at all. Perhaps my butter was still too warm. I'll give it another shot again soon.

Angela, be patient with yourself..and especially your PMS. Eating more fat will really calm down your hormones and help so much with that dreaded time-of-the-month.