Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolthouse Farms Protein Drinks page

Lindsay Grok is offline Member

Bolthouse Farms Protein Drinks

Primal Fuel
    I have a confession.... I have a drinking problem.

And no, it's not alcohol. I love drinking stuff. Smoothies, hot chocolate, soda, juices, almost anything. Obviously I have kicked most of these going primal.

But... but... but...

I love Bolthouse Farms. A lot. Their protein drinks make me so happy and help with appetite control in a pinch. I decided to post the ingredient list for the two I typically buy and see how much flack I get (kidding.) I am curious what people think though. For someone who is/was a MAJOR soda junkie, these seem far more desirable. Obviously I don't drink them every day and consider them a treat. And yes, for me they are a treat ^.^ And no, I wouldn't rather have a slice of chocolate cake.

Perfectly Protein Vanilla Chai Tea:
    Soy milk from concentrate (water, soy milk concentrate), cane sugar, soy protein isolate, green tea (water, green tea), natural flavor, calcium (tricalcium phosphate, carrageenan, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), magnesium (magnesium oxide), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), zinc (zinc sulfate), iron (ferrous lactate), vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin).

For an 8 oz serving:
    Calories: 160, Fat Cal: 27
    Total Fat: 3, Sat Fat: 1
    Sodium: 60 mg
    Carb: 25
    Sugar: 21
    Protein: 10

Pefectly Protein Mocha Cappuccino:
    Mocha cappuccino (low-fat milk, 100% Arabica coffee, natural flavors, vanilla extract (Madagascar), Cocoa), milk whey protein, potassium diphosphate, apple juice, pectin, carrageenan, calcium (tricalcium phosphate), vitamin C (ascorbic acid), magnesium (magnesium oxide), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), zinc (zinc sulfate), iron (ferrous lactate), vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin).

For an 8 oz serving:
    Calories: 178, Fat Cal: 23
    Total Fat: 2.5, Sat Fat: 1.5
    Sodium: 106 mg
    Carb: 29
    Sugar: 28
    Protein: 10

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Lindsay Groks On

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
    -- Mark Twain

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i dig the green smoothie, here is what i was told;

it may as well be candy!
    just eat fruit!
    it may as well be soda!

now, got those 3 covered
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Heh, thanks Bloodorchid. I did read the previous thread on it but it was about the fruit juice stuff which packs a lot of sugar. But I thought with the protein aspect of these drinks maybe they aren't as bad? ... hey, I'm allowed to delude myself if I want to! I'm grown!

But I always like to verify my delusions ^.^
    Lindsay Groks On

-- Mark Twain

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    They're pretty well junk. Sorry.

Unfortunately, Hubby was told the same thing when he reached for their Strawberry Banana smoothie at the store today. He got berries instead, and went home happy.

It sucks that even a company like this cannot make a decent product.

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I wanted to add... You may want to stay away from soy, since I believe you're female. Not that it is any better for men, but I will tell you without a doubt that soy affects breast cancer. It may or may not cause it, but in either case it feeds it and accelerates it. I don't care what the studies say or don't say, we have firsthand experience. So I'd avoid soy like the plague if I were you. JMO.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I'm a beverage whore as well, so I can sympathize

But those are pretty bad - the coffee one I would drink as an occasional treat. The soy one I would try very very hard to skip.

I am not religious about PB at all, so if you choose to drink them then so be it. I have crap I don't give up too. But don't let the protein convince you they are better than any other crap. That's how atkins got distorted in to a frankenfood diet.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    My husband's coffee shop decided against Bolthouse Farms, beacause they were contributing to some anti-gay funds, but they have since then tried to make amends: Carrot firm's olive branch - Los Angeles Times. That doesn't excuse it from being gross, though

Fury is offline Senior Member
    The second one is considerably better for you than the first.

IMO if you must have a protein shake your likely better off buying a tub of powder & some milk and blending it up yourself, it'll be considerably cheaper, give you more options in quality/flavor/sweeteners and without the 30g of fruit sugar.
    ON Whey's Mocha Cappuchino +milk tastes very much like a commercial Iced cappuccino, only better
    Last edited by Fury; 01-07-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

GrokOn - Yes, my partner has a high risk for breast cancer so avoids soy like the plague. I don't drink soy anything except this particular drink and it's so occasional I figure "eh." Plus I have no breast cancer in my family at all. I know, delusion to the highest degree I'm sure.

jammies - Yay, another drink whore! I can easily drink my weight in delicious liquids. I figure it factors into my 20% and to combat my serious soda addiction I opt for a naturally flavored carbonated water and sweeten it with Stevia. It does help.

Fury - Okay maybe I'll skip the soy one completely and just opt for the coffee one as a "special" treat. I have tried a lot of powdered drinks and honestly most of them are disgusting. I guess I need to shop around and find one I actually like. I just hate the thought of dishing out for a huge tub of something gross. But I'll look at ON Whey and see what the scoop is.
    Lindsay Groks On

-- Mark Twain

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's just sugar water, ditch it. I'm a drinker, too. Green tea and water are all I get. I even dropped the coffee. If I can do it, so can you. I'm a person who will accidentally drink a half-pint of fluid. My parents tried to teach me what a sip was, I never caught on. I just can't stop chugging once I start. To this day I drink 8 oz of water in about five swallows. Half-gallon of V8? Gone it three or four encounters with my face. So I know the craving desire for drinkies. And it's psychological, not physical. Beat it with your mind, not your body.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast