Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to stop jumping on and off the wagon page

camel is offline Senior Member

How to stop jumping on and off the wagon

Shop Now
    Over the holidays my 80/20 slowly turned upside down, now its more like 20/80.... or to be more accurate, one day its 100% on and then 100% off (BAD STUFF... pizza, bread, cookies, mcdonalds UGH!)... its a terrible rollercoaster of hunger, overeating, regret and pain! But I can't seem to stay on track. My wheels keep jumping the tracks.

I don't know whats changed that I'm not sticking to it like I was. I was doing so well, and now I've gained back about 6 pounds of my most stubborn fat that took me like 6 months to lose!

Any words of wisdom or a kick in the pants is most welcome! I need to recommit!!

Lindsay Grok is offline Member
    Camel! GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!!

Just kidding Kind of. Hey, at least you can come on here and admit this is what's going on. That's the first step to putting a stop to it. Is most of your eating related to "eating out" or have the nasty foods managed to get in your pantry too?

1) Eliminate the crap in your house. THROW IT OUT. I don't care if that's a perfectly good half eaten bag of potato chips.
    2) Prepare primal lunches and dinners. Keep a cooler in your car if you have to. Avoid places, routes, and people who frequent fast food.
    3) Eat MORE and LOTS OF fat. Your hunger is likely sabotaging your efforts. If you're still hungry you need more fat. Have a steak with an avocado and slather it in butter. Fatty dairy really helps me through my humps.
    4) If you can, don't leave your house for a few days. Eat a lot of fat and primal foods. By avoiding the constant barrage of FOOD messages you can stabilize a little before you have to drive by that McDonalds again.

These are my suggestions.. but most importantly?

DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP. It happens to almost every body (and I highly suspect those who say they don't are lying) and berating yourself only creates a negative feedback loop. Think positive, forgive your transgressions and move forward from this point. You can't change the fact that you ate your weight in trans fat yesterday but you can change what you do after reading this post and every second afterward.

Hope this helps. Hang in there! ^.^
    Lindsay Groks On

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
    -- Mark Twain

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    ^GREAT advice!! I'd also recommend that once you get the junk out of your house, if you're going out and might pass a tempting restaurant/convenience store, make sure you don't have any money with you. Don't worry about calories until you feel you're back on track-just eat primal foods you enjoy until you're no longer hungry. And don't think of it as "falling off the wagon"...you just took a detour, it's less self-defeating and implies a choice you had control over, rather than something that happened to you.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    You could stick a post-it note on your steering wheel saying something like "Is it really worth it? Do you really want to feel like crap?"

Might work at least some of the time when you're jonesing for McDonald's or pizza.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    I'd advise for your 20% to never, ever contain grain. Some people can't handle grain - it fuels addiction. Cheat with milkshakes, french fries, potato chips, whatever... Just commit to no grain, no matter what.

Try that and see if it helps. Might make sticking to plan over the long haul much easier.

Over the holidays I had a giant poutine (fries, cheese, gravy) twice, mashed potatoes to feed a small army, and lots of chocolate. While I didn't lose anything, it didn't derail me at all, and I was able to go clean primal after the holidays on schedule.
    Last edited by GrokON; 01-07-2012 at 07:00 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    When I start to slide I find it helpful to be a little pro-active with my protein and fat. So to get back on track I will have a big high protein high fat breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a couple days. Even if I am not really in the mood or hungry for it. It generally kills the cravings and it is much easier to resist convenience foods when you are not hungry.

camel is offline Senior Member
    Thank you VERY Much for your replies! I realize I have been trying to eat less fat and calories to try to "make up for" all the extra food. I will eat more fat and eat until satisfied for a while until I am solidly back on track. I CAN DO THIS!!!! THANK YOU!! Off to rid my pantry of any offending foods... (and not by eating it!!!)

Once I understood the science behind why i do what i do, i've had no problems staying on track.

in the beginning, when all i understood was the weightloss, i'd become disengaged when the rapid weightloss ceased. now that i understand the science behind avoiding wheat, other grains, legumes, and most dairy, i don't find that i have any trouble consistently making good choices.

knowing the rules is nice. knowing the reasoning behind the rules is essential.

activia is offline Senior Member
    OK I have suggestions as well...

From a psychological perspective...
    1) Learn to redirect your thoughts. I want you to think of your 3 most delicous primal meals.... Then think of a cupcake and say nah I'll have (insert one of your 3 fav primal meals/things here.) Practice that. Then next time you see one of those items... I want you to stop your thoughts in the track and think of your fav primal things again..
    2) Learn to think about how the foods make you feel Once you've been on the wagon for awhile and you decide to have one of those non-primal items.. I want you to note how you feel. Or maybe you have already?? Good.. now when you see that item think eww I dont want to feel like X.. instead I have Y waiting for me at home. Is it really worth the pain? No.... There is plenty of yummy stuff I can eat that makes me feel GOOD!

Other then that, clean out your house, keep primal items with you, and PLAN PLAN PLAN! Now you know that slipperly slope is a problem for you so that means you'll have to be a lot more careful! The longer you stay away from that crap the easier it is...trust me!

Good luck!!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Treat yourself to an awesome steak....get the taste for real food again.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast