Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organic Valley Heavy Whipping Cream page

Organic Valley Heavy Whipping Cream

Shop Now
    Has anyone else noticed that Organic Valley is now putting "Pastured-Raised" quite prominently on its cream and half & half pints and half-pints?

Anyone know if anything has actually changed in their dairy production? I like Heavy Whip for my coffee and tea, but getting it at the farmer's market, especially in winter, is just difficult! Hoping that this is a pretty good alternative. Thanks!

shonnie is offline Junior Member
    Yes I have...just a few days ago. I got mine from Sprouts and it was next to the regular OV heavy whipping cream. Not sure about changes in dairy production though.

sunflower is offline Junior Member
    Regardless of whether it is "pasture-raised" or not, the only Organic Valley whipping cream I can find at the store is Ultra-Pasturized. You used to be able to buy regularly pasturized OV cream but I have not seen it for a long time. I would not buy any Ultra-Pasturized dairy product. Such processing alters proteins and oxidizes fats.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    I used to have a cow-share to get raw milk through an organic 100% grass-fed dairy here. OV bought leftover milk from them, but stopped after the owners wouldn't stop selling raw milk through cow shares. So I know that, at least in the past, they've tried to buy grass-fed milk from farmers. But I'm not sure about now. And that was really crappy of them to basically tell them they wouldn't take their milk if they were going to have cow shares. Still, they're one of the better guys out there if I had to guess.

I think the OV cream around here comes in both ultra-pasteurized and standard pasteurized. Yep, on their website, they have both listed. Maybe you can find the standard pasteurized somewhere??

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    It has become virtually impossible to find heavy cream in regular grocery stores that isn't ultra-pasteurized. One store carried products from a local dairy that doesn't ultra-pasteurize, but it must've not sold well, because they have discontinued it.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
    Regardless of whether it is "pasture-raised" or not, the only Organic Valley whipping cream I can find at the store is Ultra-Pasturized. You used to be able to buy regularly pasturized OV cream but I have not seen it for a long time. I would not buy any Ultra-Pasturized dairy product. Such processing alters proteins and oxidizes fats.
    +1

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I stopped buying all NV products to send a message (not that it will be heard) that pseudo healthfoods do not belong in a real healthfood store. Their sour cream is a masquerade. Their cream is ultra-pasturized. Their stuff might start with decent ingredients but the end product is the same processed crap you can get at Vons.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    organic valley has always scored high on cornucopia's dairy scorecard. it's a shame that it's UHT, but as others have pointed out, that's pretty ubiquitous. when it's available, i buy kalona products (formerly Farmer's Natural), which are vat pasteurized. i was also bummed by finding corn starch and skim milk in OV's regular sour cream.

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    Trader Joes has no added crap and is not ultra pasteurized. They have two varieties, organic and regular. I complained to Horizon about their crappy low fat milk about 10 years ago since it had added milk solids and was told individual states set laws and limits. I used to buy OV but now it has been reformulated for Calif. Complain to your elected officials and keep in mind, in California, the average of our elected congressmen and senators is about 67. Not that you cannot have a brain at that age ... But these folks are dyed in the wool career politicians who exist only to keep the dairy, meat, and grain lobbyists happy.

Vote with your money but don't forget the voting booth also.

I usually avoid making nutrition political on this site but politicians have determined what we eat going all the way back to that crackpot McGovern.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It was hard to find, but I get this, located in Fresno and sold in a couple of outlets in my city:
    ORGANIC PASTURES FRESH RAW DAIRY
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast