Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to eat while suffering the stomach flu? page

sasuga is offline Member

Exclamation What to eat while suffering the stomach flu?

Primal Fuel
    I recently came down with a nasty stomach flu, this is my first time while being paleo. doctor tell you to eat crackers, bread, rice, all that "good" stuff. but i know better now xP

so i just sipped gatorade and sucked on ice chips yesterday, it was all i could handle. today i'm feeling better, but i'm so hungry! D:

I managed to keep jello and apple juice down, and i know these aren't real paleo things, but i'm desperate guys, an at least i didn't have an all you can eat buffet of grains and starch.

but what are some foods that fit into the paleo diet that are easy on stomachs during a time like this?
    Eat to live, don't live to eat.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i just learned that it's best to eat nothing when you are sick; it interrupts the body's natural healing process (which includes fever, aches and pains, etc.)...so forget what most doctors recommend; they are treating the symptoms, not the illness.

now that you're hungry, i'd say go with lighter foods (i had the flu a week ago...best to ease back in for a day). probably one of the best things i can think of is garlic soup. here's a link to a thread about it: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19191.html
    it has broth/stock (go with chicken instead of veggie), garlic, eggs, spices...and it's delicious. it's also light, easy, and makes you feel better. after that, move up to more solid foods like eggs and cooked veggies, then to meat and whatever. i had the flu on monday, garlic soup and gatorade on tuesday, and was back to real food and exercise by wednesday. something in that soup works.

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Another vote for nothing but water. Gatorade? Seriously?! Maybe that's why you're so hungry!

When you start feeling better and truly hungry - not sugar water induced hungry - then homemade chicken soup is easy and nice.

Feel better!

sasuga is offline Member
    what are some light foods?
    like seriously, i don't feel like cooking.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    I will get flamed for this, but I'd do the Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Tea routine.

sasuga is offline Member
    i'm gonna try eating surimi. not totally paleo, but, protien. and my stomach is rumbling like crazy.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Cure your flu or a nasty cold by eating 4 chopped up garlic cloves. Let them sit for 15 minutes before eating them.

You can mix them into a smoothy, or into your food. Do not eat them on an empty stomach.

Grizz

reflex is offline Member
    Just curious, but what do you have: influenza or viral gastroenteritis or food poisoning? Vomiting? Diarrhea? If your appetite is good, eat whatever you want! Gastroenteritis can deplete the lactase from your small intestines, so going light on the dairy is probably a good idea for a week or so. Otherwise, I would eat your routine diet, unless you are vomiting (which is unlikely, if you are hungry!).

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I was a digestive mess a few months back, and I stuck with beef broth and white rice for a couple of days. Seemed to "stick" and it was pretty simple.

After that, I added in my normal foods, but nothing fancy so I would know if anything was a problem.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Raine is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Replace the gatorade (sugar aide!) with pure coconut water (with nothing added) - it does the same thing. Coconut water is naturally high in electrolytes and good for you.

As for food, I would stay away from eggs, oils, butter, dairy, nuts and heavy protein as they will further upset your stomach. Stick to a light homemade chicken and vegetable soup, possibly pureed in the blender for easy digestion and snack on blueberries and other light low sugar fruits. The soup is easy and quick to make. This is what I eat when I have influenza.

The most important thing though is to keep your fluid/electrolyte levels up to avoid dehydration and feeling sicker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast