Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to eat while suffering the stomach flu? page 2

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    I will get flamed for this, but I'd do the Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Tea routine.
    Me too...once I was hungry anyway. I lived on white rice and applesauce a few weeks ago for a couple days when I was recovering from a stomach bug.

p.s. I cooked the rice in chicken stock, which makes it better nutritionally and tastier.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I would fast for a day and then have bone broth until you can handle heavier foods. Definitely no Gatorade! Have coconut water, or make lemon water w/celtic sea salt.
    Last edited by tradawg; 01-07-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Kitmao is offline Junior Member
    I know this is an old thread, but I ran across it since I'm recovering from a stomach bug right now.

Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    I would fast for a day and then have bone broth until you can handle heavier foods. Definitely no Gatorade! Have coconut water, or make lemon water w/celtic sea salt.
    This one is right on. I'm pregnant, so I feel like I'm starving even when I can't actually hold food down. So, the first thing I attempt is homemade bone broth. Hopefully, most have a supply of this. If not, and you have bones or a whole chicken in your house, just dump it in a pressure cooker or crock pot, add some salt, and get to making it. It doesn't have to be fancy for this application! You're just trying to survive here.

When I can finally keep bone broth down, and I'm sure I'm hungry (usually this is a 12 hour fasting period after the last bathroom visit for me), I will move on to applesauce (no sugar added, of course) and a banana. Then, a few hours later, I may have broth and fruit again, or move on to soup. The crappy thing is if you don't have soup made or you have no one to make it, soup doesn't feel like a real option. In that case, just keep reaching for lighter primal foods you have that you can keep down. You might find that a little protein works better than you think it will. At this point, you should be well enough to be done vomiting, so its just a matter of being gentle with your stomach. That takes about a day or two for me.

I know this person is hopefully LONG over the flu, but I figured I'd add my two cents since it seems like everyone out there is getting this mess lately and maybe someone new is searching this post.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Ok, it's not totally primal- but white rice and plain yogurt with honey to taste. Although after reading all the suggestions for garlic, that could also be good for the taste. If you get the good yogurt with live probiotics, it'll help repopulate anything you might have lost with the illness.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Try a bit of intuitive eating. The body is pretty good at telling you what you need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12