Thread: Ray-NJ's p90x2 IF Experiment! page

Ray-NJ is offline Member

Ray-NJ's p90x2 IF Experiment!

Primal Fuel
    Happy New Year! Since I'm changing things up a little to begin 2012, I'm also going to start a new thread to keep track!

I'll be doing a round of p90x2 through early spring and continuing to practice intermittent fasting 16x8 Leangains-style, carb cycling between more intense workout days vs. rest or low intensity days.

Nutrition will focus mostly on whole foods with minimal gluten and dairy, and I will be counting calories to via fitday ensure I hit target protein and calorie goals. I just haven't had success otherwise! Thanks to the bodymedia FIT device, I'll also be tracking calories burned as well as sleep.

Goals with p90x2 are to develop a more solid core to help me avoid injury when I get back into heavy lifting later this spring. In addition, I'm trying to unhide my abs, which have been tucked away for 34+ years.

p90x2 - Week 1 Update

Weight: 136.0 (-1.0, -10.6 lbs since August) - new low!
    BF % (3-pt Test): -0.3% (-7.5% overall)
    Waist: 28.1" (-0.2", -3.2" overall)
    Stomach: 28.0" (-0.2", -3.5" overall)

Back to pre-vacation numbers more-or-less! Holidays conquered thanks to, in my view, Intermittent Fasting.

Exercises Completed:
    Core, Plyocide, Total Body

Exercises Not Completed:
    Recovery (Optional), AbRipperX2, Yoga (Partial Complete)

The first phase of p90x2 really focuses on the core and doesn't really give your muscles an intense workout. That's not to say it isn't difficult. Incorporation of foam rolling is great given my cranky ITBS and all the stretching made me realize just how stiff I got just doing Starting Strength. I'll do this for 3 weeks before switching to the strength phase.

I skipped AbRipperX2 Thursday to avoid an 85-90 minute workout, which just seems like overkill, but will be giving it a go today since it's the weekend and I have more time. With Yoga, I just don't have the patience to go 67 minutes! I'm hoping slowly I'll be able to build a tolerance towards it!

Thanks for checking in!

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Just a short 12 hours after the above post, I got hit with either food poisoning or the stomach flu, which completely wiped out Sunday. It was the NFL playoffs from bed after my date with the porcelain king! Today, I began recovering on liquids and soft foods with the hope of transitioning back to solids tomorrow. If all goes well, I'm hoping to be back on the x2 train on Wednesday.

One "fun" side effect from a pretty awful experience is I look pretty darn lean ATM...

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Welp, this week was a total disaster so I'll be reseting this weekend and will be back at it this coming week. No "stats update" since my stomach flu cleaned me out, but I weighed in this morning at a whopping 133.4 lbs! Even after returning to work Wednesday, I wasn't up for any kind of working out so I'm sure a little muscle wasted away in the process. Aside from Sunday and parts of Monday, I did stick with whole foods and make sure both protein and healthy fats were up.

The sickness may have cut down on my metabolism as the BMF had me burning between 1,850-1,950 even after I was back at work. That either speaks to the prolonged effect of exercise (burning more even on rest days when regularly working out) or I was just moving around a lot less even while seated.

So.. back at it for week 2 next week of the x2 Core phase with an abbreviated week 3 the following week leading into a quick ski weekend! With my weight down this low I'm considering going into a Leangains +20%/-20% mode now rather than waiting until spring since I'm looking just a little bit gaunt.

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Recovery week.. getting back into the swing of things. Sleep's been kind of disturbed since getting back to work after the new years. But looking forward to hitting the slopes this coming week!!

p90x2 - Week 2 Update

Weight: 134.2 (-1.8 from 2 weeks ago, -12.4 lbs since August)
    BF % (3-pt Test): -0.5% (-8.0% overall)
    Waist: 28.0" (-0.1", -3.2" overall)
    Stomach: 27.9" (-0.1", -3.6" overall)

I gained back almost 1 lb lost from the flu.. but kind of hanging out at a new low weight. I think I'm getting the nerve to start putting on some weight soon after basically 5 months of cut, cut, cut. As usual, stuck to mostly whole foods but allowed a few slip ups due to the weight loss last week (had 2 slices of pizza for the first time in ages and paid for it with heartburn). Not to mention my birthday this past week, which of course involved a little ice cream cake!

Big discovery for me this week were Quest Bars! Just got Cinnamon Roll in yesterday and even with all the rave reviews, I was skeptical. But it tastes really, really good especially after a quick 10 sec in the microwave and has a solid nutritional profile for a protein bar (sweetened by stevia, 20 g protein, 17 g of fiber!). These'll be great for on-the-go or trips.

Exercises Completed:
    Core, Plyocide, Total Body + AbRipperX2 (Today)

Exercises Not Completed:
    Recovery (Optional), Yoga, Balance & Power

The flu threw me off, but depending on how I feel, I'll probably transition to Phase II of p90x2 beginning the following week, with higher cal/carb days on strength training days. I'll do that for about six weeks leading into a vacation week, then come back for the final three weeks in Phase III. By mid-April it will be back to standard weight training and outdoor sprints and the occasional jog!

Ray-NJ is offline Member
    Wow.. it's been awhile!

Crazy year so far.. work was crazy and my personal life went south for a little while this winter but things hopefully are back on the up and up with summer approaching.

I went through the full p90x2 cycle and started more of a true leangains style of eating - +20% on workout days and -20% on rest days and making "If it fits your macros" allowances and basically I didn't really ever see any evidence of a recomp happening. All in all, I felt like I flailed around for 3 months of doing this.

So, after p90x2 ended, I ended the calorie/carb cycling, cleaned up the diet a little more and reincorporated the three basic compound lifts RPT-style. And by week 2, I heard a popping sound in my back during a Deadlift (of just 140 lbs after several sets of warmups) due to bad form. This, after spending a couple hours watching youtube videos on form! That was 4 weeks ago and I still have varying degrees of discomfort, but slowly incorporating back weights and hope to be able to go for a jog again soon. I'll say I was so infuriated when this happened - I feel like the fitness community preaches the importance of DLs without the appropriate notes of caution. There is some serious risk of injury if your form slips in the slightest. I'm not sure I'll ever reincorporate them.

The good news I suppose is, despite "stepping away" from this journal as well as my recent injury, my stats in the post above are exactly the same. 134.0 lbs and a 28" waist this past Saturday. BF might be a tick or two lower, but hard to say. Still intermittent fasting every day, eating mostly primal and have now incorporated juicing organic vegetables in favor of the Green Vibrance powder I had used as a sub to the real deal. Also trying to incorporate "food combining" principles to help digestion of late, since that never quite regulated itself since eliminating breakfast.

Anyway, hope all is well with all of you who've read in the past!

14emom is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ray-NJ, I have been doing X2, the first phase is def. hard on the core, but it's starting to get annoying now, bc I want to work the rest of my muscles. So I am going to switch to phase 2. Have you done X2 again? How did the whole round go? Can you give any pointers?