Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we humans have "instincts" to kill for food? page

Consistency is offline Junior Member

Do we humans have "instincts" to kill for food?

I decided to start thinking about what I should be eating without anyone telling me what I should eat. I came to the conclusion that I don't have any instincts to kill animals; sure meat tastes great cooked however it makes my jaw click, even raw meat. I don't seem to have a strong jaw for meat. I also started asking myself.. why do children spit meat out of their mouths if they are meant to eat it? We dont see young tiger cubs spit meat out.

I noticed that killing is not a learnt behaviour. I know this for certain because I have cat that I got when she was the size of a baseball, too small to learn to kill from her mom, anyways.. now she has been killing mice, rabbits, birds, etc.. for years.. it is obviously simple to say that she has an instinct to kill. She is hardwired to kill.

I don't see us having instincts to kill for food however we do have a thrill of shooting guns and throwing sparrows. This does not count as killing instincts to me. It looks like typical copy&paste human behaviour. We saw a carnivore kill and eat meat... so we got curious and started doing it.

Are my conclusions false?

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    You would have to put a baby human in the wild and see if it grows to kill. Otherwise, your instinct to not kill might be a result of your learned behavior.
    During my vegan trial, I asked my mother if I ever spit out meat when I was a kid, and she said "no, you loved it. So did your brother and sister." In fact, I called steak "candy".

I also got extremely irritable and angry when I went without meat for a long time, which to me seems like an instinct to kill. If I felt like that in the wild with no vegetation, I would strangle an animal to death if I had to.

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    When I go to the zoo I get hungry, those zebras look yummy. The squirrels are looking all plump and ready for pot too.

amandalw1 is offline Junior Member
    Babies spit meat out of their mouths because as a culture we introduce solid foods way too early. It's called the tongue thrust reflex and babies aren't ready for solid foods until they've lost that reflex, sometime after 6 months of age but often as late as a year or more.

Consistency is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DubleYoo View Post
    You would have to put a baby human in the wild and see if it grows to kill. Otherwise, your instinct to not kill might be a result of your learned behavior.
    We learned NOT to kill? Can you actually not learn an instinct? Sounds counter-intuitive.

During my vegan trial, I asked my mother if I ever spit out meat when I was a kid, and she said "no, you loved it. So did your brother and sister." In fact, I called steak "candy".
    No offense to you or anyones mother but mothers tend to forget about what actually happened and will lie just to get people to live how they live. Co-dependent behaviour from parents is more common in todays society.

I remember spitting meat out because it was extremely hard to chew. Unless you actually remember, what your mom is saying cannot be taken into consideration.

I also got extremely irritable and angry when I went without meat for a long time, which to me seems like an instinct to kill. If I felt like that in the wild with no vegetation, I would strangle an animal to death if I had to.
    This is a sign of an addiction. How long have you gone without meat for?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferti View Post
    When I go to the zoo I get hungry, those zebras look yummy. The squirrels are looking all plump and ready for pot too.
    LMAO. Do you actually salivate? Why don't you follow your instincts? jump over the gate and strangle a zebra before it kicks you. Do you have the speed to catch a squirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by amandalw1 View Post
    Babies spit meat out of their mouths because as a culture we introduce solid foods way too early. It's called the tongue thrust reflex and babies aren't ready for solid foods until they've lost that reflex, sometime after 6 months of age but often as late as a year or more.
    I actually remember spitting meat out of my mouth. I must have been atleast 4-5 years old to remember. I also remember gagging on meat like my body didn't want to let it in. I'm taking into account these safety mechanisms that I've overwridden as a child.

Maybe we aren't all "homo sapiens" and just different derivatives of homo.

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Consistency View Post

Maybe we aren't all "homo sapiens" and just different derivatives of homo.
    Yes, this. It sounds like you already know what your personal truth is and thats great.

I personally know that some humans absolutely DO have an instinct to kill. We also have the ability to choose if we are going to or not.

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    You are just too cushy. You let someone else do the killing for you. Go kill somethink to eat and see how it feels. You may not have the speed to out run a squirrel but you have a brain to out smart it. Build a trap, kill a squirrel. Get over it!

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    "The fact is, you don't know what it does. It could be anything. It could be a Trojan Horse, we build it, and out pours the entire Vegan army."

Kitz from Contact (1997) on this thread.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I have the instinct to kill the dog that lives behind
    me that never stops f*cking BARKING.

And then yes, I'd eat it, to get rid of the evidence.

Turn the fur into a nice hat and parka set, too.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We learned NOT to kill? Can you actually not learn an instinct? Sounds counter-intuitive.
    Yes, you can learn to sublimate an instinct. You learn that instinctive behavior will cause you problems in life, and so most of us control those instincts. That's why you don't just go over and hump the hot chick in the bar, even though you're attracted to her.

No offense to you or anyones mother but mothers tend to forget about what actually happened and will lie just to get people to live how they live. Co-dependent behaviour from parents is more common in todays society.

I remember spitting meat out because it was extremely hard to chew. Unless you actually remember, what your mom is saying cannot be taken into consideration.
    I think I'd take my mom's recollection as a grown adult over my own distorted ideas of what happened when I was 3 and still believed in Santa Claus.

This is a sign of an addiction. How long have you gone without meat for?
    Wanting something that is good for you isn't a bad thing. I get a little cranky when I don't get oxygen too. I don't see myself ever wanting to cut back on that, though.

LMAO. Do you actually salivate? Why don't you follow your instincts? jump over the gate and strangle a zebra before it kicks you. Do you have the speed to catch a squirrel?
    No, but I have the intelligence to do it. I just find it easier to let someone else do it for me.

I actually remember spitting meat out of my mouth. I must have been atleast 4-5 years old to remember. I also remember gagging on meat like my body didn't want to let it in. I'm taking into account these safety mechanisms that I've overwridden as a child.
    So... what happened when you ate a whole lot of bananas?
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast