Thread: So confused about cholestrol :( page

saffronmama is offline Junior Member

So confused about cholestrol :(

Alright. I have been primal for about a year now and in the past 4 months, also went gluten free due to being celiac. At the end of 2009, I had blood work done and over the coarse of 2 years, my totals went like this:
    (I'm 5'1" and on high blood pressure meds. I take 2 fish oil tablets a day, potassium, magnesium and 2000 IU of vitamin D daily. I only drink water and have for the past 4 months. I use EVOO and coconut oil exclusively when cooking. NO grains/wheat etc, VERY little sugars except berries and dark chocolate)

11/7/2009: Total 199 Tri 189 LDL 117 HDL 44 Glucose normal, weight 175
    9/8/2010: Total 227 Tri 125 LDL 147 HDL 55 Glucose normal, weight 165
    6/22/2011: Total 226 Tri 133 LDL 148 HDL 51 Glucose normal, weight 165 (primal)
    12/22/2011: Total 247 Tri 149 LDL 164 HDL 52 Glucose normal, weight 145 (primal and gluten free)

Now this last blood work that came back has my doctor calling and saying to call him so he can get me on statins quick to lower that total cholesterol. I'm leery of those meds and would rather use diet to get this under control. He says its NOT my diet that is causing this but my genetic disposition 0_0 Please, I have a doc appt in June and want to show him diet is the way to go but I dont know exactly how to lower these things or at least get the ratios improved. Any help would be appreciated!

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.

I have the same concerns...

I had a stroke in October 2010; my total cholesterol was under 200, but barely. I reduced it to 139 by following the low fat - moderate carb diet given to while in the hospital rehab. I was allowed '4' carbs per meal, with one carb equaling 16 grams of carbs. My wife monitored me and my meals so I couldn't cheat.

I lost about 25 pounds while being strictly monitored both in the hospital and at home but I have since plateau.

I also have Type II diabetes and researching it, I have found people claiming to have reversed it by eating primal. That is what brought me to Mark's Daily Apple. I would like to start eating primal, but the fats concern me. I have decided to at least eliminate grains from my diet and see how that goes.

I survived the stroke with very few consequences and aside from developing arthritis in the neck vertebrae creating pressure on my spinal cord causing limited function in my legs, I am fine. I want to keep it that way.

My search is for anyone who has had an MRI of the brain with definitive proof that all of this fat has not clogged up the blood vessels in the brain. I was told that I had 'inner-cranial arterial sclerosis' a rarity for people like me.

So add my concerns to saffronmomma's thread.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Cholesterol per se is not bad for you - Mark has several recent posts explaining recent science behind cholesterol. I've had primal discussions with my cardiologist and with an endocrinologist, both of whom are big readers of recent research findings, and they both said that it's well understood that heart disease is one of chronic inflammation and not one of cholesterol - cholesterol molecules are the firefighters, not the fire. Tim Russert had TC under 100, on a statin, before dropping dead of a massive coronary - like lots of people with normal and low cholesterol do.

As to the second poster - why would you think that "all this fat" is going to "clog the blood vessels in your brain" -is there any evidence that eating fat does that, or is it your imagining how the body works? Fat is DIGESTED and USED by the body, it doesn't just go swimming around screwing things up.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
    I had a stroke in October 2010; my total cholesterol was under 200, but barely. I reduced it to 139 by following the low fat - moderate carb diet given to while in the hospital rehab. I was allowed '4' carbs per meal, with one carb equaling 16 grams of carbs. My wife monitored me and my meals so I couldn't cheat.

I lost about 25 pounds while being strictly monitored both in the hospital and at home but I have since plateau.

I also have Type II diabetes and researching it, I have found people claiming to have reversed it by eating primal. That is what brought me to Mark's Daily Apple. I would like to start eating primal, but the fats concern me. I have decided to at least eliminate grains from my diet and see how that goes.

I survived the stroke with very few consequences and aside from developing arthritis in the neck vertebrae creating pressure on my spinal cord causing limited function in my legs, I am fine. I want to keep it that way.

My search is for anyone who has had an MRI of the brain with definitive proof that all of this fat has not clogged up the blood vessels in the brain. I was told that I had 'inner-cranial arterial sclerosis' a rarity for people like me.

So add my concerns to saffronmomma's thread.
    This would prove absolutely nothing because things like that have more to do with genetics than actual diet and exercise. Some people live into their 90's eating like garbage their whole life and some people eat healthy and exercise but die of a heart attack in their 30's. If you are fit and active the amount of fat you eat is unlikely to effect your overall heart health. It has been shown that replacing saturated fats with carbs seems to increase your risk of heart disease...these studies have also suggested that replacing saturated fats with polyunsaturated fats seems to reduce risk of heart disease. For something like diabetes low carb is probably your best bet, and low carb is bound to be high fat.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    This would prove absolutely nothing because things like that have more to do with genetics than actual diet and exercise. Some people live into their 90's eating like garbage their whole life and some people eat healthy and exercise but die of a heart attack in their 30's. If you are fit and active the amount of fat you eat is unlikely to effect your overall heart health. It has been shown that replacing saturated fats with carbs seems to increase your risk of heart disease...these studies have also suggested that replacing saturated fats with polyunsaturated fats seems to reduce risk of heart disease. For something like diabetes low carb is probably your best bet, and low carb is bound to be high fat.

I think I have found part of my answer in another thread. It explained the difference between naturallyaly grown fat, i.e. grass fed beef vs grain fed beef. I almost lost my brain to high fat dairy and beef (ice cream and fast food burgers), so you can understand my concern and I am only in my mid-fifties. I also understand most of the fat from some plant grown sources are better for me. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this, especially having just recently meeting with my nuero-vascular surgeon who attended to me during my stroke. His warnings were stronalbeitiet from the CW point of view. Since I am just starting the PB journey, you can see how I am conflicted and confused. I will also need ammo to justify it to my wife. she is concerned because our youngest is only almost 12.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Saffron,
    Don't do anything until you watch these videos:
    How Bad Science and Big Business Created the Obesity Epidemic - YouTube
    I have high cholesterol, and I don’t care

Also, you are not taking enough Vitamin D3. 2,000 IU daily is not going to do it. You need to take enough to get your 25(oh)D blood test up to 80 ng/ml. Most people require 10,000 IU Daily of Vitamin D3. You can get an at-home blood test for $65 or a blood test at your nearest Lab Corp for $50. Details below the line in my sig.
    Vitamin D optimization thoughts - Jack Kruse
    Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world

I also think you should be taking a good multi-vitamin every day.

One last thing: The most important video of all time:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgB...e_gdata_player

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-07-2012 at 07:56 AM.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    You need to check out Track Your Plaque by Dr. William Davis and get a better cholesterol test. CALCULATED LDL isn't a terribly useful value. I'm a little surprised by how high your triglycerides still are, given your weight loss and paleo diet. Anyway, he mentions a few basics about low carb diets and etc in this article:
    Low-carb is heart healthy | The Heart Scan Blog

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I thought the MDA (or at least MDA forum) guideline was for Tris to be <100 (ideally <70) and Tri/HDL < 2.0. Both are violated pretty severely by those results, even the most recent ones. It seems rather surprising (concerning?) that your Tri levels are going UP over an extended period of time, even as you've cleaned up your intake.

Personally, I would get retested at a different lab, to confirm the results, then I would sit down with doc, (politely) explain my reluctance to start with statins, and see what alternatives he has to offer.

Something doesn't seem right...