Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How crappy do you feel after you have a cheat (grains and sugar) day? page

completebeginnings is offline Junior Member

How crappy do you feel after you have a cheat (grains and sugar) day?

I am 10 days into Primal. Loving it! I have had no sugar or grains since day one and my carbs from fruit and veggies have been between 30-70 per day. The first 5 days were awful getting off all the carbs but now I feel great, appetite down, bloating gone, energy, and no carb cravings, also down 6 lbs of 50 I have to loose. I have a date night planned with a couple of friends tonight and I know there will be things like artichoke dip and bread and fondue etc. I would like to have a little bit but I am terrified of throwing myself back into the misery of a SAD and craving point of being. Ideas? Anyone have anything to make it easier? I know I can just not eat it and I am considering that as well.

Beasley is offline Member
    I had 12 slices of bread yesterday, a litre of milk the night before and several servings of pasta at a family meet-up the other day. Despite being the son of a painfully gluten intolerant/lactose intolerant woman, it seems I'm not as bad off as I thought...so long as I don't have gluten daily, I think I get by alright.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post
    I am 10 days into Primal. Loving it! I have had no sugar or grains since day one and my carbs from fruit and veggies have been between 30-70 per day. The first 5 days were awful getting off all the carbs but now I feel great, appetite down, bloating gone, energy, and no carb cravings, also down 6 lbs of 50 I have to loose. I have a date night planned with a couple of friends tonight and I know there will be things like artichoke dip and bread and fondue etc. I would like to have a little bit but I am terrified of throwing myself back into the misery of a SAD and craving point of being. Ideas? Anyone have anything to make it easier? I know I can just not eat it and I am considering that as well.
    My suggestion? Think of something delicously primal and how it will make you feel and avoid it. Then eat a delicous primal meal.

It really depends but some symtpoms that I get are... floury stuff gives me Knotty stomach (I mean serious stomach PAIN) for about 30 mins... things that are too sweet make me feel like puking

If I have a LOT of the offending thing then I get bloated/gassy and just uncomfortable for awhile.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I feel totally awesome.
    If you feel terrified of going back to the SAD, then you may be headed towards orthorexia. A good countermeasure would be to go out and eat whatever and have a good time. Try to make good choices, but don't worry about anything that you put in your belly. Your friendships are more important. Consider that some people live past 100 years eating bread.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Also remember the issue is insidious and chronic toxicity and gradual weight gain. A little ice cream once every few weeks is nothing a healthy and clean body can't sweep up on its own. It's the lifelong daily pounding of the body with rubbish that you want to avoid. My wife and I have our date night once a week, and it's usually pseudo-primal or just SAD dinner with no regrets. Guilt will kill you faster than a weekend cheeseburger.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have no problems with the occasional non-primal meal for the most part. I am very intolerant of a couple of foods, so I do generally avoid those even when I am having a whatever-the-heck-I-feel-like evening. However, most non-primal foods are not a big deal for me once in a while.

It's a good experiment to do anyway. If certain foods make you bloated, swollen, etc then you make a mental note of it.

I do have a rule that I never eat two non-primal meals in a row. It keeps me guilt free when I am indulging and makes it easy to pop right back in to primal eating after.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Usually no problems; occasionally even a small quantity of something wheat-heavy, like a few biscuits, will leave me with fearsome acid indigestion, which I never normally have at all.

But over Christmas I ate mince pies, Christmas pudding and way too much sugar generally for about 5 days. Felt OK until I had to stand for a few hours on a train on day 6, when my joints ached like fury - I'd forgotten how they used to do that...

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    My suggestion? Think of something delicously primal and how it will make you feel and avoid it. Then eat a delicous primal meal.

It really depends but some symtpoms that I get are... floury stuff gives me Knotty stomach (I mean serious stomach PAIN) for about 30 mins... things that are too sweet make me feel like puking

If I have a LOT of the offending thing then I get bloated/gassy and just uncomfortable for awhile.
    That is one of the things it does to me - and reflux as well if I lie down within about 3 hours of eating the stuff. Not worth the discomfort, I just avoid them. Have some dip with vege sticks or something, bound to be some if it is a smorgasbord sort of affair.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I feel "fine", but here are the insidious side effects:

* My body starts to hurt. Especially my back. For whatever reason, my back just winds up getting achy after one too many cookies, pies, or cakes.
    * My weightloss either stalls or reverses.
    * Acne.

No doubled-over in pain experiences, and the paleo cops don't show up and beat me with a side of beef.

The crud just creeps back in. I kind of wish it were more dramatic, sometimes. But not really.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It makes me feel like total and complete crap -- crap in PAIN -- for about 6 hours.
    The next day, I feel puffy (water retention, GI bloating) but otherwise okay.
    ...and then there's the long-term damage, like acne.

Only you know whether it's worth it.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast