Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kettlebell DVD recommendations? page

Primal Fuel

Looking to get into Kettlebell WOs, but I am one of those people that like a follow along DVD (love me some P90X). Who has a recommendation for an advanced kettlebell WO DVD? And, what size bell should I buy? As a point of reference, I am training for a powerlifting competition, can bench 130, squat 160, and deadlift 255.

bruce.b is offline Member

http://www.dragondoor.com/dv036.html

Enter The Kettlebell without a doubt. You can spend a long time doing just the program minimum.

An advanced program is Return of the Kettlebell but you *do not* want to start there no matter how experienced you are at weight training.

I'd say go for a 36 pounder, which is a 1 pood bell. You can swing it right away but you want to get good at get up technique with a light dumbell before you use this for get ups.

bruce b.

musajen is offline Junior Member

For a follow-along workout, Iron Core is good - though a throwback to the bubble-gum-pop-annoyingly-cheerful aerobics instructor. I've got an Art of Strength kb video that is intense and follow-along. I see there are others from Art of Strength too...http://www.artofstrength.com/online-store/shop-dvds.aspx

Bruce - is Enter the Kettlebell actually a follow-along? I'm a little shy to choose video's from Pavel since From Russia with Tough Love was strictly instructional and not at all what I was looking for.

I'm not sure. It's not a DVD where you do what the instructor does, like an aerobics DVD, but the program is very simple and specific. It shows you in detail how to do the two exercises and then gives specific instruction of exactly how to do the program. It's so simple that there would be no point in anything more. I do simple structured workouts and only use DVD's or Utube to get my form down. I use the books for everything else.

I've never done a kettlebell DVD where you follow along with the instructor like The Firm programs. I know they are very common.

bruce b.

Bubba Guest

Try the Art of Strength dvd's. They are follow along and are really good. Find them at Art of Strength.com or Google it.

Charles Farley is offline Junior Member

I would highly recommend Gray Cook's Kalos Sthenos DVD which gives a detailed breakdown of the Turkish Getup.

It is a deceptively simple exercise/movement that will kick your butt.

Roland Guest

For more of a "follow along" kettlebell workout, check out Lauren's DVDs. http://www.socaltrainer.com/videos.html

You can find a few videos of her on youtube, too. See if you like her style. She's an RKC, but she does general fitness and fun stuff for beginners to kettlebells.

Charles Farley is offline Junior Member

If you want a great KB workout look for Kenneth Jay's VO2 Max stuff.

This thread brings up an important issue. The OP never said what their goals for a k'bell workout are. There is a huge difference between wanting to lose weight and get aerobic conditioning and trying to pack on muscle. It's the difference between dancing with two pound dumbbells and doing heavy deadlifts.

The other thing is if you're training for a powerlifting competition adding in kettlebells with that is a really bad idea. It's going to hurt your powerlifting performance if you do any sort of real kettlebell program, the combo is way too much. After the comp is over is the time to add something else in while also backing off on the powerlifting stuff for a while. In most instances mixing and adding different programs together isn't better, it's worse.

Another thing is just because you're experienced at one type of exercising doesn't mean you can start at a high level in another. If the OP hasn't done kettlebells before they need to start at the beginning, not at an advanced level for the obvious reason that they are a beginner. Kettlebell lifts tend to be very technical and progressing slowly and in complete control is the fastest way to improve. Yes, I meant to combine progressing slowly with the fastest way to improve, rushing through the early stages of any skill acquisition going to bite you in the butt in several different ways later.

As far as Kenneth Jay's V02 max program, it's great. It's an amazingly intense program, but it's not for beginners. Doing snatches for V02 max is a great idea after you're been doing snatches consistently with excellent form for a year or more. You might get away with it sooner if you have excellent mechanics and strong undamaged shoulders, but I wouldn't count on having both. I haven't done the program (I own the book/DVD and have done a ton of snatches) because I still singlespeed mountain bike a lot and there isn't a way to fit it into my current exercise program.

I'm a very experienced kettlebell person and I can't stress enough how important I think it is to start with the basics. For at least a year I'd do get ups and swings as my main kettlebell program and just play around with snatches, C&J, presses, etc to get perfect form and slowly adapt your body to them. The most important thing of all is to find stuff you love to do and move your body.

bruce

Roland Guest

Very good points, Bruce. I saw the P90X and missed the powerlifting training.

Like P90X, most of the KB "follow along with the DVD" sets are for fat loss and general fitness. Good for work capacity or burning calories, but other than having a KB, it's not really KB training.

If powerlifting is the goal, then playing around with KBs (swings for cardio, technique practice with the rest) may be fine, but trying to use them to be stronger would be a mistake right now.

"The goal is to keep the goal the goal" - Dan John

Also agreed on the level of experience portion of your post. My girlfriend is a long time CPT, has trained hundreds of people AND can deadlift 225 herself, but she still has huge bruises on her forearms that say "I don't know how to safely snatch a kettlebell."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast