Thread: Maximize Fat Loss page

Trakkstar9 is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Maximize Fat Loss

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I'm new to the primal lifestyle (just transitioned a few days ago), but I've been reading and researching since fall 2011. Here's a question that I'm sure a lot of people have, but with slightly different parameters:

How can I maximize my fat loss potential? I am in my late 20's, morbidly obese (330lbs), muscular, and athletic. Most people wouldn't understand how I could be a mix of those things, but I am... I had my checkup with my doc and all of my levels are great (cholesterol, thyroid, blood pressure, insulin levels, etc). He told me that at my activity level (I play women's pro tackle football) he wouldn't think I should get anywhere below 210-215lbs (most docs wanted me to follow the typical guideline and be somewhere between 140-170lbs). I just started preseason training, and would like to lose a good chunk of fat in the next 3 months before our season begins to help with my asthma. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Ps- I have horrible upper body strength: I can't do a single pull up and doing negatives isn't so much lowering my body slowly as it is my body dropping down quickly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I can't wait to one day help inspire others as so many on this forum have inspired me!
    Former yo-yo dieter. Adopted the primal lifestyle 01/03/2012. Currently trying to be the best version of me while enjoying competitive sports (full tackle football- yes an all female competititve full tackle league exists).
    I am 6'0" and fairly strong with an excess of fat.
    Starting weight/ BF: 330/ 33.4%
    CW: 324.6
    Goals: in or under a 36x34 pant size/ 17-22% BF

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Do women's pro football teams have strength coaches? I would think a lot of what you could do would depend upon and have to work around what you have to do at practice to earn the game checks. Lifting heavy would be my first step. Deadlifts, squats and bench press. 3x5 at first then move to 5x5. Military press for shoulders and upper body. Bent-over rows for low back. Work the core. To that I would add some minutes walking daily. It will help with soreness and practice will have you running and sprinting already.

What league do you play in?

Forgive me but I'm only acquainted with the LFL.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    3 months and 90-100% Primal along with your pre-season training will help you lose a shitload of fat. I would think you could be easily under 300lbs by end of March.
    Do not over-train (as an athlete you probably understand this) and don't over-think it. You are making a huge step in the right direction just by trying Primal and trying to tweak it to perfection right out of the gate will only result in you getting frustrated quickly.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

@IcarianVX
    3 months and 90-100% Primal along with your pre-season training will help you lose a shitload of fat. I would think you could be easily under 300lbs by end of March.

--I have no doubt I will be there. Thanks for the encouragement

@pace2race
    Do women's pro football teams have strength coaches?

-- yes we do, but we only lift once per week as a team. We do speed and agility work 2x per week, but I have to supplement my own workout 1 of those days due to traveling for work. Individually we have time to lift our own program which is position specific. (I currently play defensive tackle, defensive end, and some tight end-- I run a 7.3sec 40 yd dash which is quicker than most women my size)

What league do you play in? Forgive me but I'm only acquainted with the LFL.

-- I get that a lot I'm in the WFA, no lingerie here lol

Thank you both so much for reading and responding. I've been reading a lot more and have started to incorporate a few exercises in during the day (inverse row, Pushups, kettlebell swings). I think this is the most excited I've been in a while... And to be honest I can't wait to see the changes. My coaches last year told me I'd make a helluva middle linebacker if I lost 40lbs. I plan to blow them out of the water. Besides, I want to be in "beast mode" with my best friend on the team who is an all-pro defensive end in our league.
    Last edited by Trakkstar9; 01-07-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    Former yo-yo dieter. Adopted the primal lifestyle 01/03/2012. Currently trying to be the best version of me while enjoying competitive sports (full tackle football- yes an all female competititve full tackle league exists).

Blah is offline Senior Member
    Inverted rows show take you a long way towards a pull up.

I'm mostly just posting to mark this thread, I'm interested to know how it works out for you.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

RunBikeLift is offline Member
    Hey Trakkstar! I used to play women's pro football for the Cincinnati Sizzle- I was their QB for their first 3 seasons. I quit playing 4 years ago, and since then I've put on a lot of weight and haven't been able to lose it. I'm currently 5'9, 225lbs, yet still muscular. I've considered going back to playing again, but it's too much of a time commitment. I run and mountain bike these days instead. I'm also new to being Primal, and right now I'm doing the Whole30 Challenge. The Primal Blueprint was basically a life changer for me! I think I've finally found the secret to losing the weight!!!

Good Luck to you!
    Overweight athlete going PRIMAL

11/4/11
    SW: 228lb
    GW: 160lb by August 2012

11/24/11- 222
    12/30/11- 229
    1/7/12- 225
    1/17/12 (2 weeks into Whole30)- 218
    5/15/12- 218 (Need motivation to eat a clean Primal diet!!)

@RunBikeLift
    Hey Trakkstar! I used to play women's pro football for the Cincinnati Sizzle- I was their QB for their first 3 seasons. I quit playing 4 years ago, and since then I've put on a lot of weight and haven't been able to lose it. I'm currently 5'9, 225lbs, yet still muscular. I've considered going back to playing again, but it's too much of a time commitment. I run and mountain bike these days instead. I'm also new to being Primal, and right now I'm doing the Whole30 Challenge. The Primal Blueprint was basically a life changer for me! I think I've finally found the secret to losing the weight!!!

--That's awesome! It's nice to have a fellow female football player to relate to Let's keep each other posted on our progress...

@Blah
    --Yes, I expect the inverted rows to help. I'm trying be well rounded in working on my major muscle groups. I'll keep posting updates on this thread and may include those unflattering before and after pics once I've made enough progress.

Well, it's been 5 days since going primal and I've lost 7.6lbs... I'm celebrating that progress even though I know it was mostly water weight. I tried on a long sleeve button down shirt that I bought over the summer (when I was a few lbs lighter) and I can fit it though it's still a little snug. When I bought it I couldn't get it over my arms. I still have yet to do any real workout. I tried the inverted rows, but I don't have a bar to use that's low enough. I really just need to stop making excuses and do SOMETHING. I go to football practice this weekend, so that'll be my sprint/LHT day. I hope you all are having a great Monday!
    Last edited by Trakkstar9; 01-09-2012 at 10:19 AM.