Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bacon bacon bacon!!! page

Fatgirlslim is offline Junior Member

Bacon bacon bacon!!!

Primal Fuel
    So from what I have seen on here and also in the cookbooks, Bacon is featured A LOT and eaten by some people to excessive levels.

How is this healthy? What am I missing here? Are people growing their own pigs in their gardens that have reduced fat/ salt etc. Do you buy organic bacon?

Would like some clarification please

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Bacon is definitely a biggie around here. I think it has its place, especially for those just starting out in their primal journey-it's easy to make, tastes good, and has fat to help keep you full. And maybe helps people get over their fear of fat. I wouldn't have it everyday, but some people do and that's their choice. You mentioned reduced fat/salt-why would that make it healthier? If they take out the fat, what do you think they replace it with? Sugar.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Personally, pork is not one of my favorite meats. I don't have a good source for pastured pork and there is a bit of an Omega 6 hit. Not as bad as chicken, mind you, but it's not as good as eating grass-fed beef, either. I do like some variety so I have a bit of pork and chicken here and there. I just try to make sure I'm also eating some fatty fish to get my Omega 3s. The bacon I buy is organic and uncured, but it's still grain fed, so not optimal.

There's nothing wrong with fat per se, as long as it's healthy fat. At least most of the fat in pork is saturated. If you still believe that saturated fat causes heart disease, I've got a bridge for sale. As for salt, I don't worry about it. I'm not one of those rare people that have a blood pressure reaction to salt. It's a required nutrient. If you're not eating processed food, you're not getting nearly as much salt as the average American. When I do salt things, I use an unrefined sea salt for the extra minerals. Very little of the food I eat has salt in it. Bacon is one of those things but it's not something I eat daily.

I was researching this subject on the main site (search "cured meats" or "bacon") and found that Mark recommends getting uncured bacon if at all possible. The sodium nitrite added during curing is the major strike against large consumption of cured bacon. He did say that eating cured bacon infrequently is okay, and chasing it with vitamin C helps.

Sorry I can't give you direct links to what I found; the internet at my apartment doesn't always cooperate well. But a little searching will do the trick, I promise

Fatgirlslim is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for those of you who have responded I appreciate it very much. I guess my brain is still pre programmed to the 'Conventional wisdom'.
    I'm not really complaining! I love bacon!

andygt02 is offline Junior Member
    I could be wrong here because I don't remember the details, but I do remember reading an article a while back that suggested we get a lot more nitrates from eating leafy greens then we do with hotdogs (used in the article). That may apply to bacon as well.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I eat bacon only once a week or so. I'm just not a big fan. Liver is my bacon. Duck fat is my bacon, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Funny, I just posted a similar question, since I, too, am a little confused by the bacon excitement. From my understanding, cured bacon (the typical kind) is full of nasty nitrates, and super high in sodium, which can really wreak havoc on electrolyte and vitamin levels. Plus, 2 tablespoons of bacon fat has almost 3 grams of omega 6 PUFA with about 250 mg of omega 3, for an off-balance ratio of 10:1. I don't understand why folks are embracing bacon, either, and I personally stay away unless it's in super small amounts, with the fat cut off/drained off on rare occasions.

in 28 grams (2 tablespoons):
    2842 mg omega 6
    279 mg omega 3
    ratio: 10:1

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Animal fat, bacon grease

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Two tablespoons is a lot of bacon fat. But that is more than offset by half a fillet of salmon. Still, when I cook with bacon fat, I would use that amount to roast enough brussels sprouts for four people. So we're talking 0.7g of PUFA per person. With over 3g of Omega 3 in that half fillet of salmon, I'm just not going to stress out about eating less than a gram of PUFA here and there.

With cooked bacon, it's even better since you're rendering it out:

Fats & Fatty Acids
    Amounts Per Selected Serving (1 slice - cooked)
    Total Fat 3.3g
    Saturated Fat 1.1g
    Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4
    Total trans fatty acids 0.0g
    Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids ~
    Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids ~
    Total Omega-3 fatty acids 16.0mg
    Total Omega-6 fatty acids 15.5mg

Read More Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Pork, cured, bacon, cooked, broiled, pan-fried or roasted

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    My wife and I just ate a pound of uncured bacon with six egg omlettes(cooked with grassfed butter) for breakfast and a whole avocado for me! We eat bacon once or twice a week and again sausage another time or two. We have a good local source of pork.
    I am continually getting leaner and stronger and blood pressure and lipid profile is great.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast