Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needing a little inspiration and encouragement page

Andrew mckenna is offline Junior Member

Needing a little inspiration and encouragement

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Guys;

I joined the primal quest last summer, and was seriously keeping up with primal for 3 months, I made some great gains and enjoyed the lifestyle, but I strayed due to my depression, and have slipped into my old ways of drinking and have even managed to start smoking again. I spend most of my days beating myself up because of my lack of will power to overcome the daily pressures of modern life and the old habits which I have developed since I was a teenager, Im now 36 and am really feeling the strains from my depression and the lack of exercise, Im aware of what I need to do, but could really do with some help from the primal gang to get me back on track.

Everyday I encounter numerous occasion to quit but I really want to give myself a break and go Primal, so many failures lead me to believe Im a failure and I can't do it, I understand its not an overnight task and it takes a good amount of willpower and determination, so Im calling out to the PRIMAL WORLD for some tips and advice on how to shake my normal routine and get my ass into gear.

I admire you all and when I read the forum posts, I proud and jealous of how well you are all doing.

WELL DONE and if you can spare a moment for a primal struggler, I would be very grateful

All the best

Andy

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Choose one thing to change right now like cutting Wheat.
    You may want to continue to change one thing each week.
    It may help to set S.M.A.R.T. goals to help guide your path.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Thanks Dirlot,

Ill take that advice, its definatly a good way to start, we have an agreement with my wife and a friend to try it together on Monday so I will be going straight into it, I'm and all or nothing type of guy who feels I have to give it all, but cutting out 1 thing at a time is a wise idea.

thanks for your advice

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I love giving it my all too but as they say Rome was not built in a day...lol.
    Enjoy the journey.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

BZM
    BZM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew mckenna View Post
    ...we have an agreement with my wife and a friend to try it together on Monday so I will be going straight into it, I'm and all or nothing type of guy who feels I have to give it all, but cutting out 1 thing at a time is a wise idea.
    Dirlot's advice is good - set goals that are attainable, given your knowledge of yourself. Cut out the thing that would be easiest for you to live without, and set a standard that allows you to say, "Done!" Each success will give you the confidence to reach higher. Go all-out on each interim goal instead of kicking yourself for not achieving the highest level all at once.

(BTW, I'm a newbie at PB, but I've been around the block elsewhere...)

Second, cut yourself some slack. I know you said all or nothing, but allow yourself to slip somewhat. JUST DON'T ALLOW YOURSELF TO QUIT.

Third, and I'm just sayin' because it's the way I am, as soon as you set a goal, start reaching for it. Don't wait, don't waste any of your life not working on your goals. That's a slippery slope, and our days are numbered anyway. Why wait?

Fourth, congratulations for doing what you're doing. You're an inspiration because you're trying so hard. Keep it up! You can do it!

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hey Andy,
    Just remember, that this is a LIFESTYLE change, and not a DIET. Going cold turkey is not always the easiest, or is it the best way to go(IMHO). Create goals, and steps to go along with those goals. Maybe create a "Goal Chart", and tick one off every time you achieve a certain one. Don't be afraid to ask for help, from either here of from those in your life. None of us is too proud to not ask! And last, be easy on yourself. We can be our own worst enemy. Free your Mind, and your Grok will follow!

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    I think also, for a while at least, make sure your 20% doesn't include wheat of any kind. I think you do far, far less damage if you slip with a big plate of french fries in horrible oil, than you do if you eat a sandwich. This has been my experience.

I ate bad all through the holidays. So much french fries, mashed potato, chocolates, gluten free sweets... I did not gain a single ounce. That's huge for me. I had a sandwich made with bread yesterday and I was doubled over in pain, crabby, had a fight with my husband, had heartburn, etc. etc.

And wheat has NEVER bothered me like that before I avoided it religiously for several weeks.

And I still wanted more wheat!!! Pasta or something. That's how powerful that crap is.

So if you slip, slip with anything but wheat, and you'll probably be far less likely to fall off completely.

BeachTeach is offline Senior Member
    Honey, first off, please be kind to yourself. Beating yourself up constantly does more harm to you than anything else. As someone who used to beat myself up relentlessly~and still needs to be mindful of it~I can tell you it only digs the hole deeper.

Can you get out and walk daily? Exercise alleviates anxiety and reduces depression. It might help to commit to just 5 minutes daily...the hard part is starting, so usually, once you've begun, you'll actually do more. But if you don't, well, at least you walked for 5 minutes.

Alcohol and caffeine are about the worst things you can put in your body if you're dealing with anxiety and/or depression, and usually anxiety likes to hang out with depression. In the depths of my challenges with these things, I had to get rid of them completely. I now have both occasionally, and as long as I don't go overboard, I'm okay.

Are you seeing a therapist? Go to one that will give you specific strategies to put into place. There is nothing like feeling like you're doing something about your life! Use the strategies that work, dump the ones that don't. Dump any therapist that you don't click with.

I don't love medication, but when I was too deep in the hole, I went on antidepressants with the goal of getting off of them ASAP. They don't solve your problems, but, when used while also in therapy, they can put a floor under your feet so you can do that work. I was off within 3 months, and I don't regret that choice at all.

Tape something on your mirror that you read and repeat every day. Something like, "Today is a new day. I am moving forward in my life. I have all the tools within me to succeed." That might sound woo-woo, but I know doing things like that helped me a lot. Rephrasing any put downs also helped. I had to get conscious about the destructive thoughts I was having.

It helps also to write. Rant on paper. Ask questions and see what answers you come up with. It doesn't have to be writing, though; expression through art, dance or music are also fantastic. I participated in a drum circle one time and found myself sobbing in the middle of it. Not sure what that was about, but tears are cleansing, a release. Clearly something released.

Again, please be gentle with yourself. We are all on a path. Sometimes we move forward, and sometimes we take side trips. We always have the opportunity to learn from what doesn't go well and to make a different choice in the next moment.

Instead of paying attention to what isn't going well, try paying attention to what you got right. Focus on that and build on your successes.

Hang in there! Bless you.

Freaker is offline Member
    Hey bud - just keep your head up and have a short memory with your slip ups. And come by here for inspiration and tips.
    Starting Weight - January 3, 2012 - 276.4 lbs
    One Month - February 3, 2012 - 260.8 lbs
    Two Months - March 3, 2012 - 253.8 lbs

Current Weight - April 3, 2012 - 246.0 lbs

My Journal

My new blog dedicated to creative writing and dark spirits

Smile Many thanks

You guys ROCK

Thanks so much for all your advice and support, I start in 10 hours and really looking forward to it, I will keep a weekly update to keep you in the loop at how I'm doing.

Im sure I will do well, if I have the support from you guys, Thanks heaps for all you're post you all rock and Im glad your with me

RESPECT X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast