Thread: Eating Seasonally page

Dirlot is offline Senior Member

Eating Seasonally

Primal Fuel
    Eating Seasonally
    I have been doing a lot of thinking about Primal Eating. I find it very easy, avoid grains eat and eat what I want/need from real food groups.
    I know that sugar and wheat are very addictive and it is easy to slip back into comfort foods and fall off the bandwagon especially when going out with friends etc. Other people seem to wonder about this ratio or that ratio, can i eat fruit, high carb, low carb and many more issues.

I know form the book Mark and others recommend carbs under 100g for fat loss and to keep them around 150g for maintenance. I can see the logic of this in our society when foods are available out of season 365 days a year. It is easy to eat fruit and other food all the time, even when traditionally if it would not be available as often as it is now.

This lead me to thinking would Grok eat lots of fruit? When it was available of course he would. In the Norther Hemisphere traditional picking times would be:

March - April: Asparagus
    May-June: strawberries
    June- July: cherries
    June-August: blueberries, blackberries
    July-September: peaches, figs, tomatoes, green beans
    July-October: raspberries
    August - Figs, Fall raspberries start, early apples
    September-October: apples and grapes
    October: late apples, Pumpkins

So Grok would have a good supply of berries and some fruit throughout the year culminating in the fall when there would be a ready supply of apples, pears and grapes to eat. All fairly high sugar and hi GI foods.

If I understand the physiology of it all eating the fruit would cause insulin spikes causing a lot of that excess sugar to be stored as fat – seems perfect for Grok's winter months.

I guess what I am trying to say Grok would not worry about all these “ratios and stuff” and he would eat what was available to him when he could get it. High carb/low carb didn't matter because he at what he needed and when he needed it.

If we started eating seasonal as well everything would probably work out well for us too although since we are not as active as Grok we would still have to watch our calories and carbs. Since such a variety of foods are available we need to do some tracking by keeping carbs in a range to match our goals but other than that don't sweat the little stuff, eat clean and Grok on!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It's amazingly easy to eat seasonally when you are Primal. It just sort of fell into place naturally and I find myself wanting seasonal foods, and not wanting foods out of season. While strawberries are good, my brain and my tongue don't really jones for them in November. Through winter I find myself wanting a lot of winter squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions. Salads are spring & summer foods, and just don't feel right in January.

That doesn't mean I don't eat things out of season. My dad gave me a big package of tomatoes last week. They're delicious, but my body would much rather have a sweet potato with sauted onions.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Seasonal eating is a challenge for me. I can't help my love for berries/grapefruit/broccoli all year round (although strawberries out of season are not good). I love to have variety and so does my husband so all veggies are on the table. However, I do make a lot more stews/soups as oppose to salads.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I forgot to mention this...

It's amazing how excited you can get over a seasonal food if you only eat it at that time of year. I find myself getting giddy when strawberries are in season, and raspberries & blackberries. We have places here where you can pick your own, and they're organic! I get really excited in the fall when Concord grapes are ready, and pomegranates in late fall, and then chestnuts at Christmas.

These are the only times I eat these foods, and I look forward to them for weeks, if not months leading up to it- lol

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Seasonal for the Northern Hemisphere isn't the same everywhere. We can grow most of the vegetables on your list in at least two crops per year, a spring and a fall crop.

What is fun is eating not just seasonal but native. We have native cherries here that are ripe at the end of September. You can munch on them while hiking. They're not worth collecting in large quantities though. Best left for the birds and bears.

I collect wild greens. I get wild mustard, plantain (not a banana but a green) and stinging nettles whenever I can. Chickweed and bedstraw is edible but a little stemmy. Miner's lettuce is really good when cooked. I've been collecting the mustard and plantain right now. All that stuff will pop up as soon as it rains in fall, winter or spring and some of it grows as weeds all the time. Lately instead of spending $3 for a bunch of swiss chard from who knows where I just take a walk and pick some wild stuff.

I've started learning about mushrooms. I've eaten wild chanterelles and puffballs. The puffballs were supposed to be not very good since they weren't the sought-after variety but I thought they tasted great. Puffballs and wild mustard greens in an omelet is great!

We have tons of acorns here, but the process to make the edible doesn't sound worth it to me.

We have tons of bayberries right now. I read some guy's website where he said he roasted them until almost burnt and ground them into a paste like chocolate. Sounds not worth it to me.

There are other things the Chumash ate around here, like Chia or some of the other plant seeds and berries, but none of them sounded all that appealing. I know some people like Chia but Chia is spiny and hurts like heck. Pretty in spring but painful when gone to seed.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I love the idea of eating native.

My point is that Grok would have eaten what was there and his body would respond appropriately. We need to watch the amount of carbohydrate as per PB because so much more is available. Eating seasonal or even better native and too many carbs become a non-issue.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    my seasonal eating is limited to fruit. It seems like grapefruit are good from the valley from like Nov to April or even May. Then it's blueberries & peaches. Then there's like a dead time before November when there's really not much good local fruit. Altho if cherries are on sale, i might buy them.

i like the idea of seasonal eating but i also love my BAS every day at lunch. I'd hate to give that up! Surely spinach grows year round somewhere in tx?! I'm pretty sure all the stuff i'm getting is coming from CA.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I love the idea of eating native.

My point is that Grok would have eaten what was there and his body would respond appropriately. We need to watch the amount of carbohydrate as per PB because so much more is available. Eating seasonal or even better native and too many carbs become a non-issue.
    Yeah, totally.

The other thing, too, is that I keep parrots and one thing they do is like a certain food for a while and want to eat lots of it and then suddenly they're like, nah, ew, get that nasty stuff away from me. Out in the wild there is probably a tree that comes into fruit for a month and they go around eating that fruit until it's gone, then another tree gets blossoms and they go over and eat all the blossoms for a few weeks and on and on like that. I bet people are similar to that in some ways, too. Much of our native diet is available year-round (meat anyway), but whenever there is such a joyous feeling deep inside for something, I have to think it's natural. I get that joyous feeling when I pick berries, find mushrooms, pick greens that are only good in spring. I'm sure if I could pick them all the time I wouldn't feel anything for them. It's that seasonal thing for sure. I think we're all hard-wired for it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2