Thread: What's up with all the bacon fat? page

BestBetter is offline Senior Member

What's up with all the bacon fat?

Shop Now
    One thing has me a little puzzled - I've seen quite a number of people on this forum all gung-ho about using, saving, eating, cooking with bacon fat, but it's my understanding that pork fat has high levels of omega 6 PUFA AND very low levels of omega 3 PUFA, which in my mind makes it unhealthy.

For example, in 28 gramsof bacon fat (2 tablespoons), there are:

2842 mg of omega 6
    279 mg of omega 3

For a ratio of 10:1, which is the average ratio in a standard american diet, and which is always condemned for being so out of whack.

Am I missing something here?

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Animal fat, bacon grease

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Fats & Fatty Acids
    Amounts Per Selected Serving
    Total Fat 27.9g
    Saturated Fat 10.9g
    Monounsaturated Fat 12.6g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 3.1g
    Total trans fatty acids ~
    Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids ~
    Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids ~
    Total Omega-3 fatty acids 279mg
    Total Omega-6 fatty acids 2842mg

Read More Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Animal fat, bacon grease
    So the O3:O6 ratio isn't great, but we're also talking about the O6 being 10% of the total fat. Most of it is saturated. Still, I tend to regard bacon as a treat and use a little bacon fat for flavor, but I do tend to moderate it because of the O6. It's good mixed with pastured butter, by the way.

andygt02 is offline Junior Member
    Whenever I eat bacon I take a fish oil capsule with it to help balance the O6:O3 ratio

activia is offline Senior Member
    I use it as a treat myself. Once a week and then I use the fat to flavor some new dish but its signficantly less fat then eating the bacon itself.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    That's something that has been bothering me a bit lately, especially since I choose not to supplement fish oil anymore. I've chosen to increase my oily fish consumption instead. So I've replaced my bacon with steak.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    So the O3:O6 ratio isn't great, but we're also talking about the O6 being 10% of the total fat.
    True, but 2 tablespoons has about 3 grams of omega 6 - that seems like quite a lot.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    True, but 2 tablespoons has about 3 grams of omega 6 - that seems like quite a lot.
    That's pretty easy to undo with a little salmon.

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    I think the majority of people view it as a treat. I think recent primal/paleo converts tend to be VERY gung ho about the bacon, but after a while they kind of scale it back.
    If you want to talk about health issues related to bacon, you have to add in the nitrates/nitrites and AGEs, by the way. Overall, the fatty acid makeup isn't too terrible, since it is mostly satfat.

Besides, occasionally cooking in bacon fat isn't THAT big of a deal... especially when it's just so damn good.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Given that a significant portion of the meat Grok ate would have been approaching rancid, if not already there, it seems to me there is at least the possibility of delving too deeply into the details of things.

If eating a couple of slices of bacon helps keep someone from eating things that are clearly much worse, I would be inclined to consider that a pretty good win.