Thread: So what about extra protein...where does that go? page

So, the post on extra fat is getting some attention, what about extra protein? I am pretty sure that I eat more protein that I eat fat. In fact, I am sure of it. Does that get converted into something other than my biceps?

BigBeck89 Guest

yea...glucose

ATZ Guest

Look up glucogenesis.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

PJA that would be GlucoNEOgenesis.

What basically happens is that amino acids are broken into an amino group and a reminding carbon skeleton. The amino group is excreted via the production of uric acid. The rest is used for the maintenance of tissue and replenishment of metabolites, or used as energy via the production of glycogen or by entering the Krebs cycle.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Conan Guest

I try to keep my protein between 1-1.25g per pound of bodyweight. That is supposed to be the amount required to maintain and build muscle for active people. If you are not active you could probably get by on .75g of protein per pound or maybe even a little less.

Based on what I've read on these boards and in other books/articles, I don't think you want to be as liberal with protein as you are with fat. I think it is better to have a diet that is 60% fat, than one that is 60% protein if you are looking to control your weight.

andrewc Guest

Is the oft quoted 1gm/lb body mass recommendation for protein intake, for active individuals, a level which causes negligible Gluconeogenesis, hence minimal insulin response ?

I'm particularly interested b/c I am attempting to gain muscle using the paleo diet and presume that just ramping up your protein intake along with fat will result in greater insulin production and fat storage, particularly in the presence of very high dietary fat.

Conan Guest

I'm not sure Andrew. I do know that almost everyone that has added muscle has added a bit of fat to go along with it. That's why most bodybuilders go through bulking and cutting cycles. I've heard of some guys trying to do "clean" bulks where they add muscle without fat but I'm not sure anyone has the formula down for it.

Also keep in mind that most bodybuilders are trying to get down to single digit bodyfat levels when they cut and some of them may consider 12-15% bodyfat levels to be fat. So it may be possible to add muscle and keep bodyfat in the 12-15% range.

Clint is offline Senior Member

Ross Enamait did a "clean bulk" trial. He called it his "Mass Building Experimet". He routinely keeps single digit body fat and he is not a bodybuilder. He focuses on athletic performance, primarily for combat athletes. His site is a great resource.

The details can be found here:

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/hardcore.html

The corresponding forum thread can be found here(if you're interested):

http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2516

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Isn't the protein requirements based on lean body weight?