Thread: Dilemma page

MvEssen is offline Senior Member

Dilemma

I was faced with a dilemma today and was wondering what you people would do.

Ok so I'm a poor student with a big appetite. I love me some salmon but it's crazy expensive around here so can't afford to eat it often really. Where I live the supermarkets have all these special holiday foods because people want special dinners and stuff during these days. The party's over and all this stuff needs to go again to make room for the usual products. So they go for extremly low prices. There is enough to fill my freezer for the next 2 or 3 months.

I found me some salmon, good quality stuff. And with the discount it's really cheap. Probably even cheaper than the meat I usually buy. Problem? Marinaded in a little sunflower oil . It's just a little bit (it's third on the ingredient list right after salmon (90%) and water. But still, it's frigging sunflower oil. Is the upside of eating salmon once a week less than the downside of eating a little bit of sunflower oil with it?

What would you do in my case, leave it or buy it?

otzi Guest
    Buy it! Rinse off the oil, surely not much has penetrated the meat. Wanna try something awesome? Make a batch of bone broth, then cook the salmon in the broth. Eat the salmon and drink the broth...smakkelijk!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Buy it! Rinse off the oil, surely not much has penetrated the meat. Wanna try something awesome? Make a batch of bone broth, then cook the salmon in the broth. Eat the salmon and drink the broth...smakkelijk!
    I agree with this. It's redeemable.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I agree with this. It's redeemable.
    Me three

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'm a fan of wild caught salmon as well but I have also discovered mackerel. Mackerel is cheaper and I think it tastes great as well.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I agree - mackeral is very tasty and great value for money. Sardines too. Both fish are often available in olive oil or tomato sauce in the UK.

It's annoying that I can't eat these fish very often due to their high histamine content.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Buy it. Rinse it off and cook it in some good fats like grass fed butter.

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hehe, yeah I bought it. Would have expected critisism from most people though. Good to know I'm not crazy :P

As for the other types of fish, I always disliked most fish except for trout, salmon and tuna (when raw like on sushi). But have to admit I disliked quite a few things I started enjoying recently. Geuss I'll have to try again sometime.
    Last edited by MvEssen; 01-08-2012 at 11:34 AM.