Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground almonds? page

PollyMM is offline Junior Member

Ground almonds?

Shop Now
    Greetings from England!

I have only been eating Primal/Paleo for the last two weeks but already feel so much better: sleeping better, more energy and less bloated.

I have been searching the UK shops for almond meal but have only found ground almonds - is it the same thing I wonder?

Thanks!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    same thing. caveat emptor though, it's not an ingredient you want to rely on. use sparingly.

PollyMM is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Jakey - I have seen almond meal as an ingredient in a few recipes and look forward to experimenting. Thanks for the warning though!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    White rice flour, tapioca starch and potato starch are all far healthier alternatives to almond meal. You're taking huge quantities of omega 6 polyunsaturated fat, grinding them up into a fine powder to increase the surface area an order of magnitude and removing the protective skin, then baking it at hundreds of degrees for a prolonged period of time. The end result is a highly oxidized, highly inflammatory omega 6 bomb with an absolutely massive caloric density. I would take almost any flour over that debacle. Being a non-celiac, I'd probably rather have white flour. You're much better off using benign gluten-free starch like I listed above, and the results will come out much better since the above flours more closely resemble wheat flour. The benign starch you'll eat is much less harmful than the rancid, caloric disaster that is heated almond meal.

Of course the ultimate goal is to avoid baking bread-like things altogether, but if you want to remain low carb and low GI, your best alternative is coconut flour.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    White rice flour, tapioca starch and potato starch are all far healthier alternatives to almond meal. You're taking huge quantities of omega 6 polyunsaturated fat, grinding them up into a fine powder to increase the surface area an order of magnitude and removing the protective skin, then baking it at hundreds of degrees for a prolonged period of time. The end result is a highly oxidized, highly inflammatory omega 6 bomb with an absolutely massive caloric density. I would take almost any flour over that debacle. Being a non-celiac, I'd probably rather have white flour. You're much better off using benign gluten-free starch like I listed above, and the results will come out much better since the above flours more closely resemble wheat flour. The benign starch you'll eat is much less harmful than the rancid, caloric disaster that is heated almond meal.

Of course the ultimate goal is to avoid baking bread-like things altogether, but if you want to remain low carb and low GI, your best alternative is coconut flour.
    I've been eating ground almond in moderation purely for Magnesium for the past few months, but always feel bloated after eating it. That's the only nut I've eaten since I went primal. Shame because I do like the taste. Would almond nut butter be any better?

I'm sure there are safer sources of magnesium besides v low choc and green leafy veg... alternatively perhaps I should just eat more salt. I have low blood pressure 110/65 and would like to raise it a bit, as it can dip below that when I have a high histamine attack. I've been told that low magnesium can be a cause of low blood pressure - as I do a lot of cardio I sweat a lot which makes me lose a lot of salt, so if I'm low in sodium I will sweat magnesium.

Are magnesium supplements effective and safe?
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-06-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Almont nut butter would be MUCH better. Also white rice has a good amount of magnesium as well.

Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Almont nut butter would be MUCH better. Also white rice has a good amount of magnesium as well.
    Thanks - I'm sure almond nut butter would taste much better too. I eat about 100 g of white rice a day but that doesn't seem to be enough.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Thanks - I'm sure almond nut butter would taste much better too. I eat about 100 g of white rice a day but that doesn't seem to be enough.
    I have low blood pressure too..so I add salt to a lot of things! Yum

I'm liking salt now. I never used to, but eating more salt seems far far easier than attempting to increase my magnesium intake.

I was obviously an idiot believing CW that salt would raise my bp and give me heart disease!

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

Choco, do you have any studies or links that talk about oxidation with almond flour? Mark doesnt quite have the same opinion as you and I'm wondering where you learned this?

Are Roasted Nuts Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Although he does mention that it should be a treat, but more because of the caloric density

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast