Wow... that was quite a break! I've decided that keeping up with recording was driving me a little crazy. Oral preliminary exam is coming up, and is occupying all of my time. I'm still eating primal/paleo, but am staying off eggs and nightshades for the rest of the month. I haven't noticed a difference in how I feel, so I will reintroduce eggs March 1. I've also decided to up my carbs into a more recommended (by MDA and Robb Wolf) range. There is a theory out there that super low carb causes the body to slow the metabolism by preventing the conversion of T4 to T3. Matches up with my blood work and my experience (weight still = 165). Workouts are still inconsistent (about 3 x a week bodyweight or run), but sleep is improving.

If the 20% carbs instead of 5% moves the scales, it may tell the story of preventing T4 --> T3 conversion. It may also answer why low carb diets tend to work better the first time out for people. Atkins discussion boards show this over and over again. People will go low carb, lose weight and feel better, then spin out. When they come back to Atkins, it doesn't work as well the next time. Could part of the switch to fat-burning metabolism include slowing carb metabolism? If so, I'd love to know the mechanism. Is there a down-regulation of zinc transporters for example. That would explain my low zinc, too. Any thoughts out there? Links?