Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maddieaddie's Primal Run page 2

maddieaddie is offline Member
    Food: Breakfast 2 fried eggs, 1 piece thick bacon, 2 x 2 oz sausage patties
    Lunch: leftover filet, cauliflower and two "coconut buns"
    Snack: salt and vinegar pork rinds
    Dinner: yield from 6 oz grass fed ground beef, 2 c lettuce, homemade ranch, 1/2 c artichoke hearts in oil, a couple of handfuls of kale chips roasted with salt and olive oil. **Man, I love this food!!!**

calories 1845
    fat 130 (64%)
    carb 30 (6%)
    protein 133 (30%)

fitness: cold and rainy -- skipped it

I've also been feeling kind of run down and cold, so I thought today would be a good day to skip my workout. I want to cut my calories, but I'm afraid it will not have the intended effect :-)

Food:
    Breakfast - 2 fried eggs
    Lunch - leftover filet, cauliflower and one coconut bun
    Snack - salt and vinegar pork rinds
    Dinner - yield from about 8 oz pork loin, roasted turnip fries with olive oil and salt
    post-dinner extremely B.A.S.

calories 1927
    fat 120 (56%)
    carb 21 (5%)
    protein 182 (40%)

Fitness:
    I'm still feeling pretty run down today. I wish the girls would go to bed so I could, too! If I catch my second wind before kids' bedtime, I'll head out. Otherwise, I'll do the 5 essential moves and run in the morning. I've always done better working out in the morning in the past, but I'm pretty whiny about getting out of a warm bed when it's cold outside. Luckily, it's supposed to warm up this weekend (upper 60s), so it would take some epic whining to avoid my workouts!
    Last edited by maddieaddie; 01-13-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Trying to cut calories... we'll see how it goes...

Food:
    Breakfast - 2 fried eggs
    Lunch - leftover pork and turnips
    Dinner - Ted's Montana Grill "grilled salad" (no cheese, no croutons), split a bottle of wine with the hubby
    Snack - came home and split another bottle of wine with the hubby while we babbled about fraud in science (inspired by a recent report that Dipak Das fabricated hundreds of findings related to the health benefits of red wine http://www.bostonherald.com/news/nat...osition=recent). A dark day for scientists and boozehounds alike! Fun, but unfortunately is not helping me on my quest to lose weight. I think the wine is best set aside completely, at least until the Primal Mud Run is over.

calories: 2072 (ouch!)
    fat 102 (46%)
    carb 35 (7%)
    protein 99 (20%)
    alcohol 80 (27%)

Fitness:
    5 essential moves; 1.55 mile run
    Last edited by maddieaddie; 01-14-2012 at 06:06 AM.

Rather a strange day today. You see, I had an online book business for 12 years, which I have spent the past 2 months shutting down. I arrived at the condo where the books are stored at 9 am to meet 4 groups of people with boxes and vans ready to haul away the final 6000 books + shelves. After working at moving books and breaking down shelving units for several hours, I decided to break for lunch only to realize that I had forgotten my wallet. I counted up my change, which came to $1.06. Hmmm. I had already skipped breakfast, and had to go work in the lab later on, so I was going to have to eat something. I ended up getting 2 packs of peanuts from the gas station -- I know, evil legumes, but I couldn't afford the almonds.

It was sad to see the last of the books go out the door, like the end of an era. I had to remind myself that the books had become a burden in recent years, and that they were finding new homes with some booksellers who are just starting on the journey. The books allowed me to take the time off to hike the Appalachian Trail in 2006, and that is something that will always be with me. I hope the new owners find their own unexpected joys in the stacks!

Food:
    Breakfast: none
    Lunch: 2 packs of peanuts
    Snack: the salt and vinegar pork rinds I seem to be making a habit of
    Dinner: a few celery stalks and tons of meatballs and spaghetti sauce

calories: 1590
    fat: 111 (61%)
    carbs: 46 (12%)
    protein: 106 (27%)

Fitness: hard to say... I was on my feet moving books and breaking down shelves from 9 am - 2 pm. I'm feeling a bit stiff and will definitely be skipping the primal moves and run tonight.

I'm noticing that my calories are pretty stable (except for the day I had wine), and my carbs are on the low side, but I am not losing any weight. Should I restrict carbs? calories? For now, I'll wait it out for another week and see what happens. I'm not sure if my nutrition is screwy or not.

Breakfast: 3 eggs with artichokes, 2 pieces sausage
    Lunch: meatballs
    Snack: pork rinds, piece of bacon
    Dinner: eye of round roast, asparagus with garlic and butter, Elana Amersterdam's coconut bar

calories 2004
    fat 150 (67%)
    carb 26 (5%)
    protein 133 (28%)

Fitness: skipped workout

Weight: 164. Not really moving the scale. I'm going back to functional medicine doc next week, but not feeling very hopeful. I am 30 pounds overweight, and am willing to make a change, but I am no longer sure what change to make. I feel like my eating is pretty clean (except maybe the delicious salt and vinegar pork rinds), and my workouts are sane. Any thoughts out there?
    Last edited by maddieaddie; 01-16-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Food: didn't record... ate similarly to previous days (meat, veggies, fats). I'm thinking about not recording and just trying to eat less in general. Too much recording makes me a little obsessive.

Fitness: 5 essential moves, 1.55 mile run in 20:32.

I did try one chin-up, but there was NO WAY it was going to happen yet! I'm going to look around for ideas for something in between a 1-leg assisted pull-up and a full on chin-up. Any ideas out there?

Weight: holding at 164. Grrrrr!

I just read that Robb Wolf recommends the autoimmune protocol if autoimmune diseases are suspected (I'm thinking gluten intolerance). Essentially, cut out eggs and nightshades. I could do without tomatoes, but the eggs and hot peppers would be a little tough. I'm not sure how to eat breakfast without eggs! I suppose I could triple dinner recipes and have leftovers for breakfast and lunch. Anyway... thinking about it. I used to love the success stories and have even written a few myself... in my head on my drive to and from school. Now I'm just trying to stay on the rails.

Food: still paleo + no nuts and no fruit. I won't be cutting out eggs and nightshades until next week (new groceries on Saturday!). Food intake seemed pretty similar day to day, so I'm not recording. I am thinking about being strict about cutting out processed meats (bacon, the occasional hot dogs, and the addictive and delicious salt and vinegar pork rinds). It sucks, but I weighed in at 164.5 again this morning, so I'm going to have to be extreme. My arms were a little weak last night, so I used it as a skip day. I brought my stuff (except the pullup bar) to school today. If I can manage to get my workout in at lunch, I'll bring the pullup bar to school with me tomorrow.

I'm also signed up for a free session at one of the local Crossfit establishments on Saturday morning. We'll see how that works out. Crossfit in general is pretty expensive, but the nutrition side of things just isn't getting me there. I'm thinking Crossfit could be promising since I'm getting my food dialed in and still not budging the scales. I'm trying not to get down about it. For all of you "deranged metabolism" folks out there, I'm not giving up!!!!! If you are doing primal/paleo exercise and nutrition, and the excess weight is not coming off, there still has to be an answer - and we'll find it!

I'm back... well, yesterday I found a bare bones gym to try out and it's great! It's kind of grungy and the price is right ($150 a year - yeah, that's right, a YEAR). I ran on the treadmill for 1.55 miles, and it took me longer than on the road (20:52). I don't know if my road mileage is off or the treadmill is, but who cares? At least I can run inside instead of whining about the cold and pulling blanket overhead.

After my run, I looked around for the pull-up bar. I couldn't find one. After I looked around a bit for a good bench to do my modified pushups and elevated jackknife press, I kind of chickened out. All these muscle guys walking around, and I'm thinking, oh man, I'm going to look like a doofus doing my girly pushups. I decided to just shower and do my essential moves at home. I'll get my husband to come and play personal trainer for me next time, and then I'll just have to get over it. Also, <note to self: for $150 a year, don't expect a "spa treatment" locker room> I'll be showering at home, thank you.

Food is still paleo/primal with no fruit. I did have some nuts yesterday, but just a handful. In general, I am eating less quantity since I stopped recording. Weight same. How do you spell making a raspberry? Phtttht?

I'm still thinking paleo/primal is the bees knees. I'm sure that I would feel worse on SAD, but I'm still having trouble losing any weight, and my hair loss has increased to patches missing and eyebrows are dangerously thin. I've decided to give up on the functional medicine doc and go see a bona fide endocrinologist. First snag... I need a referral for fancy-schmancy Duke Endocrinology, but my functional medicine doc is out of town, and my regular doc doesn't have my test results. I had to send in results to my regular doc (thereby confessing that I've been cheating on him with quack doc!) and ask for a referral. We'll see how it goes.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Checking in after an interesting weekend... we tried out Crossfit Local in Chapel Hill, which had a free introductory class on Saturday at 11. The workout was tough and only lasted 11 minutes, but I am STILL sore. The hubby may be up for it, but I am not there yet. I like the idea, but can't handle the intensity. We're planning a joint workout at the basic gym (cardio equipment, weight machines and some free weights) on Thursday, and he'll give me some pointers on bodyweight exercises and beginning free weight stuff I can do to build up my strength.

2 days no eggs. Ok, back to work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast