Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FabBecky's journey to Primal Fabulousness page 3

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    So glad you finally got oil. Congrats on the loss. Keep it up!
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Quote Originally Posted by Fabbecky View Post
    Wow - so many replies to my thread already. It really makes me feel welcome. I will have to look for those thread on converting kids. I need to find a mac and cheese substitute for my carb loving 4yr old monkey boy. I have convinced him that bread makes him feel yucky (it really does) so at least we are heading in the right direction
    Annie's makes a gluten free mac and cheese with rice noodles. If your kids like chicken nuggets, Ians is a good brand. I tried making nuggets from scratch, but my 7 yr old wouldn't eat them. I switched out all of our cereal over to Rice chex gluten free. My men are more gluten free than truly primal, but I am making the changes as I can. For snacks we do fruit, cheese, pepperoni, GF cookies etc. My big problem is GF bread. My 7 yr old will not eat any of the ones I have tried. He eats PB & J every day.

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member
    I have been making a lot of bread from scratch for the last 2 years using my bread machine - the company I get (got) my flour from does a gluten free blend that gets rave reviews so I think I will try it for our bread

My boys are definitely heading towards being GF - last night eating hamburgers at my MILs they took off the buns, folded the burgers in half and gobbled them like that - and told grandma that the bread makes their tummies hurt. I will have to try the Annie's Mac and Cheese - I made regular mac and cheese this weekend, they both took a couple bites and wouldn't eat the rest! They didn't like the way the noodles and fake cheese tasted after eating so much regular cheese and eggs and grain free pancakes... It makes me feel good when they refuse the gluten heavy foods they used to love. Even at such young ages they seem to understand that it makes them "feel yucky" when they eat it and that they will get "Strong and big like daddy" when they eat the meat and vegetables

Ohh bread machine, good idea. It might look more like "regular" bread. My son has Asperger's and is a true creature of habit. Looks and texture are super important. What is the name of the flour company?

King Arthur Flour I love this company and when I started using their regular wheat flour everything , every recipe, every time came out wonderful. Their GF stuff gets the same kind of rave reviews.

ETA: If you have Wegmans in your area, mine carries the King Arthur GF stuff.

So my MIL got me a pair of pajama pants for Christmas (she always does) and got a Men's (again, always men's) XL - normally I would actually be a XXL so when I tried the pajama pants on right after New Year's I was not surprised when they were for too tight and uncomfortable to wear all night long. I threw on a different pair, folded the new ones and put it with the rest of the clean PJ's for a time when they might fit.

Last night - when we finally had working heat after 6 days of near freezing temps in my house (the only reason the pipes didn't freeze is because their is such a drip in the kitchen faucet that it never stops running!) I was ready for clean PJs and something that I had not been wearing in 4 layers... As I was looking through the PJs I saw the pants from my MIL and decided to give them a shot - see how much closer I was to being able to wear them since I had lost some pounds and inches since January 1.

THE PANTS FIT!!!!! I was estatic - I showed the hubby, he was impressed. So I had a new pair of PJs in a smaller size that fit beautifully. A little snug through the thighs and loose in the waist, but they are designed for men so...

And to top it off I am down another 0.6lbs this morning. This brings me to a new low of 250.8 - about the weight I was when I got pregnant with my moose baby (now 2.5 yrs old). I feel so go, so happy, so full of energy and joy. I love being Primal!

I did not weigh myself today as I am confident it would have reflected some poor choices yesterday - and I did not want to see the setback when I know I will bounce back quickly.

Yesterday I made some oat bars for my boys - we have an absurd plethora of quick oats (given to us by the 4yr old Monkey's preschool). The boys do not eat oatmeal AND we do not have a microwave... but I thought I could make them a little granola bar and feel confident that it was gluten free and had no seed oils or crap in it. 2 cups of oats, a stick of butter, 1/4C of raw sugar toasted and then pressed into a bar shape and put in the freezer to harden. When I went to cut it up for the Monkey I grabbed a piece, then a slightly bigger piece. I was originally just tasting it to make sure it was okay - unfortunately it was AWESOME and I ended up eating a whole bar on my own. My husband had a nibble and instantly demanded I make more so he could have some too. I am not beating myself up for this, but accepting that I live a real non-perfect life, I had a bit of granola - that I made from scratch with trusted ingredients - but I did not have a whole pan, I did not go back for seconds, I did not let PMS and a little sugar overrule my senses. I had a reasonable dinner, a little almond/walnut/coconut butter and celery sticks for a snack and felt better.

I also noticed exactly how much even that little bit of sugar affected me. I was ravenous for the rest of the day. I really had trouble getting control of my hunger - something that has not been a problem for a few weeks at least - not even after having some sweet potato the other night.

So this morning I am trying to tweak my program a little bit by starting to follow the Leptin Reset protocols. I tried my first 50g of protein breakfast this morning and man that really is a lot of food I am going to try a protein shake tomorrow and see if that is easier and keeps me full as long - well a shake of real whole foods (coconut milk, eggs, nuts and maybe a scoop of hemp protein). If the shake works it will be my go to breakfast on school mornings. Here's hoping!

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I've found (before the Whole30 when I was using protein powder) that having some kind of protein shake plus real food in the morning kept me going best, until dinner sometimes. My shakes were usually some kind of milk (coconut milk doesn't always make me feel good, often used the carton kind of almond or coconut milk), a scoop of protein powder (mine had 25g of protein and was vanilla flavored) a banana, and a spoonful of almond butter. Sometimes I'd do frozen berries with the milk and powder. I think if I go back to using these on occasion, I'll get chocolate or flavor it myself with cocoa powder or just fruit, to reduce the sugar content. Anyway I usually paired that with an omelette or some kind of meat and it was easy to hit the 50g of protein.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

@Nameless - those shakes sound excellent. I have done similar ones before. The one I like best I use a Tbsp of cocoa powder, vanilla whey protein (I like the vanilla best because I can flavor it how I want) 1 packet of stevia, a dash of cinnamon, and a milk of some kind. Ice weirds me out and gives me headaches so I really don't like using ice to thicken the shakes, but I will add chia seeds or Xanthyn (?) gum. I have been known to add kale or baby spinach too to up the overall nutrient content, but if I am pairing this with an omelet I will likely just give the veggies a light saute

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You are doing some good work girl! I will try the king arthur gf flour for bday cakes, etc. I was very loyal to their other products. xoL

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast