Thread: Primal Journal (Mat) page

Mat
    Mat is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (Mat)

Primal Fuel
    My body is the product of chronic cardio (Iíve run a couple of half marathons recently). In college I lifted weights diligently, and gained a nice amount of bulk and strength. While I was big and strong at the time, I didnít like the way I looked; I wanted to be lean and strong. So I began my journey into chronic cardio, and starving myself on a SAD diet.

Gaining strength, muscle, and energy are my goals for this year. I have already been exercising and eating primaly for a week, and my energy level has skyrocketed; so, I already feel like I am on my way to achieving all 3 of my goals.

Most of the success stories I have seen on the site have been about weight loss. If anyone reads this and has achieved success striving for the same goals I am, please let me know what worked (or didnít) for you along the way. I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Mat

Picture will follow later today.

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    Its pretty amazing how quickly some of the positive effects kick in, isn't it? Welcome and good luck from another newbie! L

Mat
    Quote Originally Posted by primal4fifty View Post
    Its pretty amazing how quickly some of the positive effects kick in, isn't it? Welcome and good luck from another newbie! L
    Good luck to you, too! Thanks for the warm welcome.

It is crazy how quickly my energy increased. It's a constant energy, too; no drastic crashes during the day.

Mat
    I did my first set of sprints, yesterday. With having recently finished a half-marathon, I thought sprinting wouldn't be too difficult. I was dead wrong. After my 4th 20 second interval, I thought I was going to die. It took me probably 20 minutes to fully recover, but when I did I felt amazing!!!

Tonight I will do some body weight exercises and try my hand at making primal cookies!!

Mat
    Tonight, my wife and I cooked lamb (for her), bratwurst (for me), and bacon and brussels sprouts (for both). It was delicious!

I am really proud and excited that she is trying this whole primal lifestyle with me. Hopeful we will be able to keep each other motivated.

Mat
    .....oh and the primal cookies are amazing! There is only one left. I am giving the cookie its last rights, because it won't last through the night.

Mat
    Still sticking closely with the plan. My wife is too. Nothing too earth shattering to report other than I feel great and can't wait until my next workout.

Mat
    I removed my shirtless before picture because some of my coworkers are starting to frequent the site. I feel that it is in my best interest professionally to remove that photo.

My wife and I, however, are still going primal. We try to follow the 80/20 rule which allows us 1 or 2 cheat meals a week. We mainly use those cheat days when visiting family or friends, or after an intense workout when our bodies are starving. We also have kept dairy in out diets, but I feel that we are still reaping most of the benefits of the primal diet. You can no longer find any grain in our pantry other than a bag of flower that we are keeping around in case of a zombie apocalypse.

We are fortunate enough to work for a great company that puts health and well-being near the top of its priority list, so we have joined a boot camp that the company puts on 3 times a week. The workouts are high intensity and the personal trainer that conducts the camp is a big proponent of lifting heavy things until muscle failure. On our off days, the trainer does want us to participate in chronic cardio, but we skip that, of course. I am ready for the spring and summer so I can incorporate more sprints into my exercise routine; it is just too tough to sprint when it is cold and wet outside all the time.