Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inflammation page

keevelish is offline Senior Member

Inflammation

With respect to Omega 6, grains and rancid fats and their effect on the body and heart disease what exactly -is- inflammation. What are the specific physiological changes? We say such and such causes inflammation. But what IS it?

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Omega 3 and Omega 6 are both essential fatty acids, and cannot be made on our own, so we must obtain from our diet. Omega 3 would be from cold water fish (salmon, sardines, black cod) and from leafy greens, walnuts, flax seeds.....just to mention a few. both sources are teh building blocks for hormones that control immune function, blood clotting and cell growth

On the other hand omega-6 fatty acids are found everywhere, especially if you start your day with a pop tart, have lunch at McDonalds, and then have some cookies and icecream for a snack! Omega 6 are also found in whole, real foods--like many types of nuts. But the junk food is loaded with it mostly because of refined vegetable oils, and soy products.

The body also constructs hormones from omega 6 fatty acids. In general, hormones derived from the two classes of essential fatty acids have opposite effects. Those from omega-6 fatty acids tend to increase inflammation (an important component of the immune response), blood clotting, and cell proliferation, while those from omega-3 fatty acids decrease those functions. Both families of hormones must be in balance to maintain optimum health.

Many nutrition experts believe that before we relied so heavily on processed foods, humans consumed omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in roughly equal amounts. But to our great detriment, most North Americans and Europeans now get far too much of the omega-6s and not enough of the omega-3s. This dietary imbalance may explain the rise of such diseases as asthma, coronary heart disease, many forms of cancer, autoimmunity and neurodegenerative diseases, all of which are believed to stem from inflammation in the body. The imbalance between omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids may also contribute to obesity, depression, dyslexia, hyperactivity and even a tendency toward violence. Bringing the fats into proper proportion may actually relieve those conditions, according to Joseph Hibbeln, M.D., a psychiatrist at the National Institutes of Health, and perhaps the world's leading authority on the relationship between fat consumption and mental health.

On a personal level, and a very basic approach to the effect of 'inflammation': My husband has horrible arthritis, and has had since he was in his 20's. He has had a knee replacement and Hip replacement....He is no stranger to pain of joints. When he watches his Omega 6 intake, and ups his Omega 3's you can see a huge difference, when he first started he went from walking slightly stooped over to walking upright and a little quicker. Within 4 weeks he has stopped taking his 12 Tylenol and 6 Motrin EVERY day, He now only takes Motrin every 5 or 6 days when needed. He also no longer has sinus issues like he used to.....This was not from Primal, the only changes we made at the time were upping Omega 3 foods, and watching Omega 6 intake...this was pre-primal.

Hope that helps a little. Inflammation is commonly thought of as swelling of the joints, and it IS that, but it is also so much more!
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

Ok, but with respect to heart disease: grains are said to cause 'inflammation' in the arteries, the cholesterol heads over there to repair it, and then it's the cholesterol that gets oxidized by rancid fatty acids.

So. What is the specific physiological process that is occurring within the cells of the arterial walls? Hahah I guess I want the detailed biological specifics- the actual response that is happening that we refer to as inflammation. Guess I should go look it up.

otzi Guest
    Here is a blog devoted to inflammation: Cooling Inflammation: anti-inflammatory diet

I have tried to pin down 'inflammation' as well, and can't really get a good, easy answer--I don't think there is one. When I was on the SAD, I had terrible gout attacks. Gout is an inflammatory condition, same as arthritis. Now that I've been 1 year primal, I haven't had a gout attack in 9 months or more.
    However, if I eat something that doesn't agree with me, which could be veg oil, sugar, corn starch, MSG, flour -- you know, the hidden stuff that sneaks up on you when you eat out or at friends--I will see it in my love handles! My abdominal fat stores seem to become 'inflamed' almost overnight. It's as if all of my remaining fat cells soak in as much water as they can hold, and it will add 1-3" to my waist measurement and an increase of 3-5lbs! When this happens, I also get achy joints and it feels like it used to just prior to a gout attack in my feet.
    If I eat extremely clean, low carb for the next week or two, I return to normal. You read on here about people doing carb refeeds and gaining 5 pounds in a few days, this is inflammation.
    Some people eating the SAD are in a state of chronic inflammation, I know I was one of them. Hope this helps.

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Well I purposely did not give the detailed Biological specifics because I didnt think you were asking for that LOL. But there is ALOT of information out there, so simplistic, alot scientific.
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

Well as much as I gleaned it's an immune response and through chronic inflammation the proteins of the cells become damaged through the periodic healing and damaging, rinse, repeat, and a chronic 'wound' is created. Phew. Lol.

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    I was confused with inflammation as well until I read those articles.

UggaBugga is offline Junior Member
    On a side note I've managed to drop my C-reactive Protein (an inflamation marker) number in 4weeks from 4.8 to 0.3 by eating a few squares of very dark chocolate every day. Along with a morning and evening tablespoon of diatomaceous earth dissolved in water. (Thanks to Grizz's Ubiquitous links on the forums) Making smoothies every other day with a whole tablespoon or two of Turmeric spice mixed with Primal fuel and some blueberries 1/2 avacado (Awesome!!) . Including fish oil supplements and Curcumin pills at every meal. Nipped my inflammation dead in it's tracks!! My doctor was amazed.

JoeC is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My wife suffers from a type of vasculitis called Takayasu's Arteritis, which is basically chronic inflammation of her aorta and branching arteries. Should the primal blueprint minimize the effects of this disease? She is currently on her second round of prednisone and methotrexate treatments after another flare up in January.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast