Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.... page

Robbie871 is offline Junior Member

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead....

Primal Fuel
    I was curious as to everyone's thoughts on the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. My gf asked me to watch it with her yesterday(her 2nd viewing). Needless to say we are heading out to get a juicer for her today at some point. She isn't primal/paleo at all, but has told me she wants to jump on our wagon at some point. It was a good watch I thought, but all the negativity about meat kind of put me off. I am definetly more of a carinivore than herbavore. The whole detox thing did make some sense, but I'm not sure if those drastic measures are any better than just going primal/paleo and fasting on occasion.

Maureen M is offline Senior Member
    I only watched the end of the documentary and I agree with many of the proponents of the film, and I think its wonderful for people like the man in the video to jump on board. However, my sister, who has been primal/paleo for about a year and a half did a five day juice fast and said she felt better when she just stuck 100% to primal. I think its because she had already rid her body of most of the toxins by eating clean for so long, so the juice fast didn't really do what it was supposed to. If you are literally fat, sick and nearly dead i think that this is a great idea. Or even if you're like me, new to primal eating and still with a bunch o toxins floating around in ma body. But if you've been primal for over a year....if you like not eating solid food for a minute go for it. But my sister was super hangry (hungry+angry) by the end of it and all she wanted was MEAT. And i like steak too much to go out and buy a juicer. Unless I can juice steak???

faithy22 is offline Member
    I watched the documentary and didn't really enjoy it. He never stopped to think that maybe it was what he was taking out of his diet (grains, processed oils, etc) instead of what he was adding (juices) that lead to his increased health. I read so many articles about various groups of people and how they are healthier than the average American because they eat X - but again, why is no one looking at what they're NOT eating??

jedikelly is offline Member
    I watched the documentary and was very interested in it - it actually got me thinking about going back to being primal. In fact the day after watching I did go back to being primal.

Robbie871 is offline Junior Member
    Ok...bought the juicer and have tried a couple of recipes from the movie over the past couple of days. Tastes.....like....Gr(ass)!!! It's terrible....and I love veggies. Neither of us could stand it so the juicer is being returned to the store. This little experiment has just made me want to eat at least 90/10 primal and the gf has decided to give it a go as well, which I'm very excited about. I hope she lasts long enough to get past the carb flu and really start feeling the benefits of the primal way of life.

Kudos2Fly is offline Junior Member
    Yea juicing is not for everyone or even a long term thing. We have a Champion juicer and do use it from time to time. We have used it for fasting or doing a "cleanse". But other then that I'm not a big fan of juicing, as I'm not fond of the taste.

I did see part of the documentary but turned it off when it seemed he was implying meat is the cause of our health problems. I do think juicing does have its place, but not as a long term deal.

Faumdano is offline Member
    Hint: if you are consuming calories of any kind, you are not "fasting". Always irks me when people say things like juice fast; what a ridiculous contradiction of terms.

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Faumdano View Post
    Hint: if you are consuming calories of any kind, you are not "fasting". Always irks me when people say things like juice fast; what a ridiculous contradiction of terms.
    Can I got on a meat fast, and just liquefy a steak? Does that count?

saturnfan is offline Senior Member
    I watched the documentary several weeks ago and found it pretty interesting. But you have to put it into perspective. If you are severally overweight and eat junk food all day, a juice diet will cause you to lose weight.

The documentary makes it clear that the juice fast is supposed to be temporary as the guy did it for 60 days than switched to a pseudo vegetarian diet (only a few servings of meat a week). By eating a diet rich in vegetables and low in meat and other processed foods, you it is conceivable that you will be far healthier than the average person. The reason being that you are cutting out the junk foods that are epidemic in our diets. It's the long term that is unknown.

But I see the short term merits of the diet. If you desperately need to lose weight, it might be worth a try to do for 30 days.
    Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
    Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
    Goal: 160

Quickdraw is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen M View Post
    And i like steak too much to go out and buy a juicer. Unless I can juice steak???
    Somebody needs to find a way to do this.
    About Me | Journal: "Grok: Deployed"
    "Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James Mattis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast