Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's doing the Spartan Race this year? page

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

Who's doing the Spartan Race this year?

Shop Now
    Why not put all that strength and conditioning to good use by entering one of the many Spartan Races in the US, UK and Canada. Plus, you'll get the chance to shout:

"THIS IS SPARTA!!!"

at the top of your voice and not feel too silly.

Sandbag Fitness: Spartan Race - US, Canada and UK Events!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    best race i've ever done. thanks for reminding me...i haven't registered for the one in my area yet. time to start practicing some spear throwing, or suffer through those burpees.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    best race i've ever done. thanks for reminding me...i haven't registered for the one in my area yet. time to start practicing some spear throwing, or suffer through those burpees.
    Training for a race is a great, great motivator (or any other event in fact). I think every race should involve spear throwing!

BuffaloGrok is offline Senior Member
    I'm plannin on doing my first one this spring. Going to sign up for the nearest Sprint and Super when I get a chance. I've been following their WOD's the past couple of weeks and they post some real killer workouts.
    My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

Seermark is offline Junior Member
    Did the Spartan Sprint last year. Fun time, kicked my arse though. By the end of the race it was all I could do push out that last burpee or two for failing some of the obstacles, heh. It's good motivation to NOT fail obstacles, though. Stupid spear throwing...

Signed up the Spartan Beast this year...a few months after the Tough Mudder. It's going to be a rough. but fun, Spring and Summer...

Definitely add burpees to your workout routine (30 per failed obstacle...almost turned into vomitees near the end of the race). And I'd suggest some gloves, too. It sucks to fail an obstacle you know you can do just because the rope is all muddy and you can't get a decent grip on it.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I did Spartan sprint last year as well, forget when, but it was a blast even though I hadn't really trained for it. It was fucking brutal! my quads were not ready at all and actually really hurt after this obstacle in which I didn't use them (the crawling in mud under barbwire for what felt like miles) my theory is they got a chance to relax and didn't want to work anymore. I may have also been dehydrated or something. Either way, the pain slowed me down a lot and I also had cramps in both. I finished, and I didn't fail any obstacles. It was a great time. I was in so much pain the next two days.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I did Spartan sprint last year as well, forget when, but it was a blast even though I hadn't really trained for it. It was fucking brutal! my quads were not ready at all and actually really hurt after this obstacle in which I didn't use them (the crawling in mud under barbwire for what felt like miles) my theory is they got a chance to relax and didn't want to work anymore. I may have also been dehydrated or something. Either way, the pain slowed me down a lot and I also had cramps in both. I finished, and I didn't fail any obstacles. It was a great time. I was in so much pain the next two days.
    Yuh, I hear ya. At the one I was at there was what felt like multiple football fields of yardage of rocky mud under the barbed wire, with increasingly higher wall climbs in between each of the mud pits. The last section was under extremely low wires (messed up my shirt real bad, heh), uphill, with some severely sharp stones thrown into the sludge...so in addition to scrapes and bruises galore, my legs cramped up like you wouldn't believe right near the end. Just fatigue, dehydration, and probably the much colder temperature of the mud. The last few yards were hell and I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to even stand up. Thankfully it was near the end of the race, and I didn't need to do anymore low crawling.

I felt like I earned that free beer and turkey leg at the end, though. Even if I was too exhausted to do much but lay down and stare at the sky.

jedikelly is offline Member
    May 19th in Texas! Already signed up

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seermark View Post
    Yuh, I hear ya. At the one I was at there was what felt like multiple football fields of yardage of rocky mud under the barbed wire, with increasingly higher wall climbs in between each of the mud pits. The last section was under extremely low wires (messed up my shirt real bad, heh), uphill, with some severely sharp stones thrown into the sludge...so in addition to scrapes and bruises galore, my legs cramped up like you wouldn't believe right near the end. Just fatigue, dehydration, and probably the much colder temperature of the mud. The last few yards were hell and I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to even stand up. Thankfully it was near the end of the race, and I didn't need to do anymore low crawling.

I felt like I earned that free beer and turkey leg at the end, though. Even if I was too exhausted to do much but lay down and stare at the sky.
    was that New England? sounds pretty much identical to the one i did. i wouldn't even call that last bit of barbed wire through mud...it was wet gravel. i still have a couple of scars on my lower legs from dragging them through that hell.
    on the up side, they were spraying us with fire hoses at that point, so if you didn't mind a water punch to the face you could get a little hydration.

it's back in amesbury in august...i hope they change up the obstacles a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    was that New England? sounds pretty much identical to the one i did. i wouldn't even call that last bit of barbed wire through mud...it was wet gravel. i still have a couple of scars on my lower legs from dragging them through that hell.
    on the up side, they were spraying us with fire hoses at that point, so if you didn't mind a water punch to the face you could get a little hydration.

it's back in amesbury in august...i hope they change up the obstacles a little bit.
    Yessir, Amesbury it was. That last bit of mud and wire was just sheer nastiness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast