Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sun damaged skin... page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

sun damaged skin...

Shop Now
    I've been having 30 minutes of sun exposure every day, since starting Paleo and loving it.

Reestablishing my love of the sun, and enjoying the warmth of it on my skin has been great. Except... I KNOW I am getting sun damage. Not so much worried about melanoma, and I've always refused to wear chemical-laden sun-screen, but for the past few months have been watching this massive age spot (liver spot) appearing, and darkening, in all it's ugly glory!

So, just back from having had a huge brown ugliness removed by laser. in a bit of pain now, I have to say, and the smell of my own burning flesh... well, that's another reason not to get any more!

The dr. doing the procedure said I should wear sunscreen... I said, no way. She said, I could get more of these ugly spots if I didn't.

Here's my question, does eating Paleo help protect the skin from sun damage as well as skin cancer? Or, am I really gonna get more of them getting my daily dose of Vit D?

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I would say, yes~ eating paleo/primal will help ~ but I might use a mineral type sunscreen (like Sunforgettable) on my face~

from Sunscreen Alternative: Nutritional approaches to preventing sunburn and skin aging

In conclusion, there is strong evidence fruit, vegetables, and omega-3 fatty acids do provide protection against skin damage from the sun while also providing a myriad of other health benefits.
    Last edited by Nady; 01-06-2012 at 03:29 AM.

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    I say, "no". I get spots easily, too. I'm not entirely sure sunscreen helps either, since I notice that my skin darkens even more when I wear sunscreen than not. I get really dark.

OK, a 50/50 split between the 'yeses' and the 'nos'.

I'm a bit nervous about those mineral sunscreens, cause they use nano technology - and it's a notoriously unregulated industry. I just don't like the idea of absorbing anything I wouldn't eat through my skin!

I wonder what Mrs. Grok would have used for her sunscreen? Perhaps a thick layer of mud, or bentonite clay...

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Do you take vitamin D? Some people find they tolerate sun exposure more when they are vitamin D replete.

Raine is offline Member
    I would say no as well. Getting a tan, even just a mild one, leads to cell damage which leads to skin cancer. Natural sunlight is good, skin cancer is not, your spots are your bodies warning signs that need to be listened to. I would wear sunscreen a hat and sunglasses for cataracts.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Do you take vitamin D? Some people find they tolerate sun exposure more when they are vitamin D replete.
    I have heard this as well. I myself take vitamin d3 and I seem to have more tolerance with the sun. But you have to know your own limits which is determined by your overall skin tone. If you are a lighter person and burn easy you definitely want to cover up, wear hats etc. if you are going to be out for a prolonged period of exposure. For lighter skinned people I would recommend 15 minutes of sun exposure before you need to cover up. Other alternatives may be to get your sun exposure in the late afternoon to prevent burning. But overall you have to know your own body and know when you start to burn. It only take a couple really bad burns to really increase your risk of skin cancer.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    OK, a 50/50 split between the 'yeses' and the 'nos'.

I'm a bit nervous about those mineral sunscreens, cause they use nano technology - and it's a notoriously unregulated industry. I just don't like the idea of absorbing anything I wouldn't eat through my skin!

I wonder what Mrs. Grok would have used for her sunscreen? Perhaps a thick layer of mud, or bentonite clay...
    Nano technology the mineral sunscreen I use, Sunforgettable, is like mineral makeup~ but without color~ no nanos, just sits on the skin as a powder~

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I have heard this as well. I myself take vitamin d3 and I seem to have more tolerance with the sun. But you have to know your own limits which is determined by your overall skin tone. If you are a lighter person and burn easy you definitely want to cover up, wear hats etc. if you are going to be out for a prolonged period of exposure. For lighter skinned people I would recommend 15 minutes of sun exposure before you need to cover up. Other alternatives may be to get your sun exposure in the late afternoon to prevent burning. But overall you have to know your own body and know when you start to burn. It only take a couple really bad burns to really increase your risk of skin cancer.
    I agree completely with this. Sun exposure comes with sun damage. There is really no way around that. Vitamin D MAY help minimize that, but no way to stop it.

Personally, I wear a sun hat and glasses when out for short walk. Sun screen on my face for longer hikes.

I do take vit D, and I make sure I don't burn.

As I said, I'm not so worried about skin cancer (maybe I should be) but, I've spend most of my life in the tropics...

Hence, I do already have quite a lot of sun damage!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast