Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sun damaged skin... page 2

Raine is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    You absolutely should be worried about skin cancer... even if you don't burn, sun damage adds up over time and can lead to cancer.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raine View Post
    You absolutely should be worried about skin cancer... even if you don't burn, sun damage adds up over time and can lead to cancer.
    I just don't buy that! I've known peopel who hardly see the sun get it, and others who are always in it NEVER have it! It's not just as simple as being in the sun... Besides, I just can't get my head around the sun being a 'bad' thing. It gives us life for starters, and if our ancestors got skin cancer from the sun, we would have died out millennia ago!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not out laying in it every day, for hours on end, and, I'm not saying thatdoesn't damage the skin, because my ugly age spot shows that it does... but in my mind, it HAS to be a combination of sun + other factors (bad diet, chemicals in skin care, pollution, vitamin deficiency. etc)

And, if I'm going for a walk in nature, I absolutely refuse to cover up every inch, and slather on god-knows-what sh$t onto my skin, where I can absorb it into my body.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Gradual exposure to the sun with some tanning is not as harmful as a great dose of sun causing a blitering peeling sun burn. I grew up on a beach and at my age (I just turned 41 on the 5th) I have had a couple of dermatoligist determined suspicious moles removed and and biospied. I have more damage fromthat scariring than the sun! Dermatoligist have big mortages ... beware. they are hacks!
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Lindsay Grok is offline Member
    I just don't buy that! I've known peopel who hardly see the sun get it, and others who are always in it NEVER have it! It's not just as simple as being in the sun... Besides, I just can't get my head around the sun being a 'bad' thing. It gives us life for starters, and if our ancestors got skin cancer from the sun, we would have died out millennia ago!
    Exactly. I'd say genetics and hereditary have a lot to do with it. If you're fair with blue or green eyes you need to be more careful. But the recommended amount is 15 minutes a day (?) and I can't see that being significant enough to worry about.

As for the age spot... well, I know they're not gorgeous but I'd say the benefits of regular sun exposure far outweighs the benefits of momentary vanity. After all, I'm sure one day we'll all wish we only had ONE to worry about! ^.^
    Lindsay Groks On

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
    -- Mark Twain

jammies is offline Senior Member
    It depends if you are talking about melanoma skin cancer (the malignant one that can kill you) or basal or squamous cell carcinoma (which are not going to kill you but can disfigure and cause lots of suffering). There is really no doubt that sun exposure causes basal cell carcinoma. Farmers in rural areas get tons of it - always on sun exposed areas of their bodies.

Melanoma is more controversial. I believe there is even data suggesting sun exposure can be protective.

Lindsay Grok is offline Member
    basal or squamous cell carcinoma (which are not going to kill you but can disfigure and cause lots of suffering).
    I might be wrong but doesn't this require quite a LOT of sun exposure? I doubt the risks would be significant from 15-30 minutes of sun a day? But I could be wrong...
    Lindsay Groks On

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
    -- Mark Twain

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    I just don't buy that! I've known peopel who hardly see the sun get it, and others who are always in it NEVER have it!
    That's what I've seen too. My mom (classical musician, librarian, rarely sees the light of day) has had some skin removed but my dad (golf at least once a week, always out in the yard working on stuff) never did.

I'm a blue-eyed fair-skinned blonde and I work outside in the desert, literally out in the sun from sunrise to at least 2pm, sometimes until sunset. I've done this job for 4 years, and in previous years, I would sometimes use sunscreen during the summer, sometimes not. If I forgot, I would get a sunburn, and I absolutely KNOW that is damaging.

Now, I don't use sunscreen. As the seasons change and the days get longer, I'm slowly and naturally building up a tan. I haven't had any sunburn at all. The only exception was when I was on vacation at the beach. Yeah, they don't generally let me wear a bikini at work so I got a sunburned belly.

So it can be done. You just have to work your way up to it. Sunburns are definitely bad, and I think that's where my mom got her skin cancer from. I don't honestly see the problem with getting a nice, slow tan.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Raine is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post

Don't get me wrong, I'm not out laying in it every day, for hours on end, and, I'm not saying thatdoesn't damage the skin, because my ugly age spot shows that it does... but in my mind, it HAS to be a combination of sun + other factors (bad diet, chemicals in skin care, pollution, vitamin deficiency. etc)

And, if I'm going for a walk in nature, I absolutely refuse to cover up every inch, and slather on god-knows-what sh$t onto my skin, where I can absorb it into my body.
    I have to say our ancestors probably sought shelter under trees etc in the hottest part of the day. It also depends on where you live to, the sun is different in the UK or a similar "cold" country to what it is in somewhere like Australia (UV harshness wise).

I live in Australia and the number of people dying from melanoma is now through the roof and this is young people in their 20's. Most are just living the healthy active outdoor lifestyle and surfing/swimming at the beach, but it all adds up over time.

If you don't want to wear sunscreen etc, download a weather app to your phone (if you have a smart phone) and check to see what the UV rating is for that day. If it's classed as low or under 2 you can get away with minimal or no protection. If it's above that you need sunscreen, hat etc. Here in Australia in the part where I live, I have never seen it go under very high, even in the winter. So someone like me would be nuts not to cover up.
    Last edited by Raine; 01-07-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Grafvitnir is offline Member

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    PrimalCon New York
    I use copper peptides, mineral sunscreen and Egyptian Magic to help my sun damaged skin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast