Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloating and consitpation - i'm too young for this, please help! page

debbiej is offline Junior Member

Bloating and consitpation - i'm too young for this, please help!

Primal Fuel
    Hi!
    I was hoping you guys out there could give me some much needed tips/pearls of wisdom!

I'm a 25 year old female, healthy, fit and mostly primal (still in transition-but have been low carb for a long time).

I'm petite, so definitely not overweight.

My issue is constipation, and extreme bloating. I'm guessing it's something i'm eating, but i'm yet to figure the nasty culprit/s. My stomach/digestive system just seems so darn sensitive, i'm really don't know what i'm doing wrong.

My main question is what are the common causes of this, and also what are some natural remedies. I've done a bit of research on the net, but the same old CW of whole grains, fibre, heaps of water comes up time and time again.

I haven't given primal eating a full go yet, so that could simply be the problem. However i'm frustrated because i do eat pretty well most of the time, but maybe that is not enough?

Have you guys noticed a significant change in such symptoms with going primal?

I'm truly at my wits end with it, I don't want to put up with it for the rest of my life, and i'm just not sure what to do!

Please help!
    Much appreciated, and thank you in advance for any pieces of advice!

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    The main culprits are likely to be dairy or grains, you can soon work it out by eliminating them for a little while then re-introducing. You might also want to google FODMAPs and GAPS.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    It was grains for me. Cut them out completely and within a few days I ws much better. Took a few weeks to normalise into a regular as clockwork patter.
    Plenty of fiber from all the veggies and adequate water.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to only have a negative , but I don't eat either dairy or grains, and I continue to have chronic constipation problems (all my life, so it's not from primal eating, but that hasn't helped).

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljq309 View Post
    The main culprits are likely to be dairy or grains, you can soon work it out by eliminating them for a little while then re-introducing. You might also want to google FODMAPs and GAPS.
    +1 If you know it's not dairy or grains.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    If you go to a doctor they will do blood work (a good idea) and possibly tell you to go on an elimination diet (also a good idea, and you can still eat paleo) to rule out any potential food issues. If they start ragging on your diet, make sure you explain to them that this all started BEFORE your current diet (honestly, whether or not it's true, it's the only way I got the testing I wanted done). They can test your urine for bacteria levels and determine if you have the right amounts of "good bacteria" in your gut. The GAPS protocol is excellent for repopulating gut bacteria. I am following a modified Whole 30, low histaimine/paleo diet to try and sort out mine.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    If you haven't completely eliminated grains yet, try that. When I did, my bloating went away and I became regular for the first time in my adult life. After that... you might have an allergy/sensitivity to something you haven't been able to isolate yet.

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member
    Agreed. If I eat any grains, I immediately bloat A LOT, and I have lots of fun digestive issues. If you haven't gotten rid of those for 30 whole days, I'd give that a whirl and see what happens.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Take a Magnesium Citrate supplement daily.

Also, indigestible fibers (broccoli, kale, skin of apples, white part of oranges, mandarines etc) don't get digested and get fermented (by your gut bacteria and hydrochloric acid) until the end of days. The by-product of fermentation is gas (bloating). Indigestible fibers can cause intestinal obstruction that barricade everything else behind it...giving pain, discomfort, more bloating and symptoms of constipation.

Peel your apples, skin tomatos, do whatever you can to cut down on indigestible fibers.

GutSense.org is a good site to start reading up on digestive problems (Book Fiber Menace)

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    More fat was the key for me. Now I'm regularly productive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast