Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help losing weight - so far it's not happening page

Raine is offline Member

Smile Need help losing weight - so far it's not happening

Primal Fuel
    I started on full paleo 2 weeks ago for a permanent lifestyle change and for weightloss. How ever the weight isn't coming off and I have heaps to lose.

I can't do formal exercise due to exercise intolerance caused by a disease I have (not heart disease) so this makes burning off fat harder obviously. I do get about 5-10 minutes of normal paced walking a day though from walking around to shops/other places as I don't drive and carry heavy grocery bags home - so some weights.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get into the fat burning zone without exercise?.
    Last edited by Raine; 01-09-2012 at 08:31 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    To really give the best advice it would be helpful if you could tell us more about your stats - height, weight, any metabolic issues, etc.

Assuming you have more than 20 lbs to lose, I think that it is best to not consume to much dairy, nuts, or to drink very many of your calories. My suggestion would be to either eat a real lunch or have nothing. I would also get rid of dairy completely - maybe with the exception of ghee. You may find it helpful to add some cooked greens or other veggies to your breakfast and lunch.

As for exercise - I lost all the weight I needed to eating this way with only walking as exercise. I walk 40 minutes - 2 hours per day. Longer walks on weekends, shorter during the week. So it can definitely be done.

Good luck and welcome

Raine is offline Member
    Hi Jammies,

Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by Raine; 01-09-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    ground almonds, linseed and sunflower seeds
    Fail.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

emmie is online now Senior Member
    Don't try to 'burn off calories' with exercise. Exercise is healthy and can keep you toned as you lose weight, but 90% of weight loss is what you eat (or don't eat). You mention a 'good size' portion. What I'd do is track to see exactly how many calories you're consuming. There's no weight loss without a calorie deficit, regardless of what you're eating. Unfortunately for us, the calorie needs of women are far less than those of most men.
    In addition, what your optimum level is cannot be determined by comparison to others or online calculators. We're all unique in this regard, and you'll only arrive at your level by trial and error.

I know that "fat is good" for primal eaters, but I personally cannot tolerate too much fat. I emphasize protein with moderate fat. And it's possible that the amount of fat you're eating is raising your calorie level to high for weight loss.

In your situation, I'd track to identify exactly how many calories I'm eating and then try cutting 500 cal a day for a week to see if that stimualtes weight loss. The body only can lose 2 lbs of fat a week--beyond that, it's devouring muscle mass. So you want to find a level that allows you to lose 1-2 lbs a week, understanding that loss will probably not be linear, as hormonal shifts with TOM will often inhibit loss at that time.

I'm writing as someone who has lost 200 lbs over the past several years, only about a pound a week, but at any time I 'stalled' and did not lose, the problem was always that I wasn't creating the necessary calorie deficit. I ate about 20g of carbs daily--and still do.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest that 5-10 minutes of carrying shopping bags around is far, far too little exercise for general health, let alone weight loss. Basically then, a trip to the mall is the most demanding activity you might attempt in a week?
    I highly recommend, in addition to whatever diet advice you follow, that you commit or work up to an hours' walk per day. That is still really not a lot of activity in the grand scheme of things. Its true that diet willl affect far more change than exercise, but you gotta do more exercise than that.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and the lunch you listed is the exact kind of concoction Id make if I wanted to gain weight! Try having a piece of fish or something instead.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    eating almonds and nuts caused my weight loss to stall big time. stop eating them and i bet you will have better luck

LisaAnn is offline Junior Member
    You have to experiment to see what works for you! Your typical diet seems very restricted to me. I'm no expert but for me weight started coming off once I stopped restricting myself so much. If I were you I would track all of my food at least for a few weeks, just to see hat you are taking in and how you could tweak it for experimentation. I used to eat anything I wanted as long as I kept it under 1700 calories. I'm 5'10 and currently trying to lose 35 pounds (down 12 so far). I also used be at the gym 5 times a week running and doing the eliptical. I saw little to no results and I was always hungry and I dreaded the gym. Then I tried something different. I am not completely paleo but I like the idea and follow it but I do cheat. Now I don't watch my calories. I make better food choices, make sure I eat around 80 grams of protein and don't let my carb count go over 100 grams a day. I am exercising two or three times a week just pretty much lifting weights for twenty minutes each time and I do some sprints one day a week. The weight is coming off at a nice rate (about one to one and a half pounds per week). That is what is working for me. Some people may not agree with what I do but I'm losing weight and I feel great. However, it took me a little while to figure out what will work for me! So try different things! See what works! Try eating a little more maybe!

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    I think your lunch needs to be re-examined. It's completely PACKED full of stuff that should be condiments at best. A small handful of almonds is 270 calories alone. Just because you CAN eat it it doesn't mean you should make it a main staple of your day. I'm all for getting fat in your diet but maybe switch to something like 1/2 an avacado and/or a couple of hard boiled eggs or some full fat greek yogurt.

Furthermore, really watch your amounts. We really don't need to eat dinosaur sized steak. More protein isn't necessarily better - after a point it's just more. I'm supposed to get between 82 and 110 grams a day. 4 oz of chicken is like 35, a cup of shrimp is 40 etc. A single container of Fage is 18. It adds up fast.

It's not just WHAT you eat but how much you eat too. Especially if you can't exercise.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast