Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So there's this whole duck thawing in my fridge... page

Greensprout is offline Senior Member

So there's this whole duck thawing in my fridge...

Primal Fuel
    I picked it up on sale frozen a few months ago. I've never cooked a duck. I recall a few threads or maybe even a MDA blog post about duck over the past year that I'll do a search for. Any suggestions for what has worked for you? Crispy roasted? Going out on a limb and doing a confit?

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Roasted all the way. I used to have ducks so they were a fairly common dinner item. I had the best success when I lightly scored the thickest areas of the skin, however my guys were leaner than store bought duck so I didn't do much of this. Duck really needs to be well up from the pan because of the amount of fat that will render out. I like to use solid root veggies as an oven rack, so the duck would be up on onion halves, big chunks of turnip, potato halves, that kind of thing. Added bonus is tasty veggies!
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member
    Roasted and stuffed with a mixture of granny smith apples, onion, celery, and pork sausage. Cook the sausage first of course. You can do a bit of orange juice and honey as a basting glaze too.
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Is it really whole? Do you need to remove the intestines first?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Is it really whole? Do you need to remove the intestines first?
    Ha, perhaps I should clarify...frozen in a package, whole minus head, and though I've not opened the plastic yet, I can only assume also without feathers and guts! Might include giblets, however...

The ideas for roasting sound great, still sorting out the details of what I'll do. I think this will be dinner tomorrow. I like the idea of veggies roasted in the fat underneath, and am hoping to collect some extra fat as well.

Anyone else have any other great ideas for duck?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I did this for Christmas. It was divine.
    The Best Way to Roast a Duck (Hello, Crispy Skin!) | The Hungry Mouse

I saved the duck fat. It's so good for cooking.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I did this for Christmas. It was divine.
    The Best Way to Roast a Duck (Hello, Crispy Skin!) | The Hungry Mouse

I saved the duck fat. It's so good for cooking.
    Thanks!! The step by step tutorial is great.

Definitely planning to save the fat.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Crispy roasted. 3.5 hours at 300*F rotating once every hour. I made a duck on Monday.

Sooo good.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    I took mine and steamed it on a standing chicken roaster for an hour. I spiced mine with Chinese 5 spice, ginger and a few other ingredients. Basically a Peking duck recipe. Then removed it from the pot. I took a fork and poked the skin all over. Then add a few seasonings and stuck it in the oven to roast. The skin got really crispy. It was so good.

It was our first whole duck. The kids were concerned about eating the duck. They ended up loving it. Now, they ask for it. Well, I told them once in a while.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    I always roast a duck the same way - boring, I know, but it always comes out delicious. I pierce the skin through the fat but trying not to pierce the flesh - or the juices run out. Pierce all over - and underneath too. Rub with sea salt. Take a deep roasting tin and put the bird on a rack in the tin, roast as high as the oven will go for 20 minutes. Now turn the oven down to 160 C (320 F) and tip about a cup of boiling water into the roasting tin (this is to stop the juice that come out buying under the hot fat). Cook for around 2.5 - 3 hours, until pulling a wing / leg shows that it it will pull away easily. (Keep topping up with water - you don't want the juices to burn).

Tip the fat and juices into a pan, spoon off the fat (keep it - divine for cooking) and make gravy with the juices left in the pan.

The bones / giblets make a wonderful stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast