Thread: Vegan bodybuilding successes? page

jalthouse2 is offline Junior Member

Vegan bodybuilding successes?

Primal Fuel
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/sp...R_AP_LO_MST_FB

Hey all,

I wanted to know what you thought of this article. Though it certainly doesn't change my primal mind, I find it amazing that anyone is able to put on muscle with the paltry amounts of protein-rich foods available to a vegan. It's hard enough to do it on a meat-filled diet!

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    From the artificial he eats "tofu and plant based protein powder."
    Eating primal you can get away without any of that.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    “Is it possible to be a good bodybuilder and be a vegan? Yes,” said Jose Antonio, the chief executive of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. “But is it ideal? No.”

bingo.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Actually a really good article- hits the both sides well.

I hate bodybuilding and vegans though. They do seem to fit together- both self-righteous, pointless activities that harm you while accomplishing nothing.

People don't like to hear it, but genetics play a bigger role in the way you look than anything else, especially in bodybuilding. Much of it is as simple as body ratios, like shoulders to hips and such, which cannot be changed barring radically unethical surgery.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Actually a really good article- hits the both sides well.

I hate bodybuilding and vegans though. They do seem to fit together- both self-righteous, pointless activities that harm you while accomplishing nothing.

People don't like to hear it, but genetics play a bigger role in the way you look than anything else, especially in bodybuilding. Much of it is as simple as body ratios, like shoulders to hips and such, which cannot be changed barring radically unethical surgery.
    Amen, also, muscles respond to stress regardless of what you put down your gullet.

FitMountain is offline Member
    Mike Mahler is a super strong vegan (though not bodybuilder). More power to those who can do it I suppose, but def not the ideal.
    http://facebook.com/fitmountain

Know your limits. Then shatter them.

Also spray-tans hide the nasty pallor of vegans...

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    vegans = more meat for me
    I like vegans
    ad astra per aspera

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I have a problem with that statement. Anyone that exercises to build strength is by definition a "bodybuilder." I don't walk around in a ripped T-shirt with a milk gallon full of water sporting a glowing orange tan all year 'round, but I lift hard and I lift heavy and I center my workout around the big boys:

Deadlifts
    Squats
    Benchpresses
    Shoulder Presses
    Calf Raises
    Weighted Chin-ups
    Weighted Dips

These are the kings of heavy, stressful, complex movements, and I do it to get bigger, stronger, leaner...overall, just to improve my physique. I am Primal, so I'm clearly health-minded, I eat a lot of protein, read about it for fun and spend hours a week at the gym strictly because I love it. I am, by all definitions, a bodybuilder. A 5'7" 135lb bodybuilder. I don't think I'm particularly self-righteous, and my activities are far from pointless. Without them, I'd be an incredibly weak stick, wouldn't look half as good as I do now (and I still have lots of improvement to go!) and wouldn't be nearly as healthy.

Just saying. Genetics are actually overrated and everyone uses them as an excuse. The problem isn't a person's genes - it's the person. Some people may get "shredded" more easily than others but no one has genetics that keep them from getting reasonably lean to a healthy level of body fat (11-16% for a man, 20-25% for a woman).
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I have a problem with that statement. Anyone that exercises to build strength is by definition a "bodybuilder." I don't walk around in a ripped T-shirt with a milk gallon full of water sporting a glowing orange tan all year 'round, but I lift hard and I lift heavy and I center my workout around the big boys:

Deadlifts
    Squats
    Benchpresses
    Shoulder Presses
    Calf Raises
    Weighted Chin-ups
    Weighted Dips

These are the kings of heavy, stressful, complex movements, and I do it to get bigger, stronger, leaner...overall, just to improve my physique. I am Primal, so I'm clearly health-minded, I eat a lot of protein, read about it for fun and spend hours a week at the gym strictly because I love it. I am, by all definitions, a bodybuilder. A 5'7" 135lb bodybuilder. I don't think I'm particularly self-righteous, and my activities are far from pointless. Without them, I'd be an incredibly weak stick, wouldn't look half as good as I do now (and I still have lots of improvement to go!) and wouldn't be nearly as healthy.

Just saying. Genetics are actually overrated and everyone uses them as an excuse. The problem isn't a person's genes - it's the person. Some people may get "shredded" more easily than others but no one has genetics that keep them from getting reasonably lean to a healthy level of body fat (11-16% for a man, 20-25% for a woman).
    I was referring specifically to the act of getting into a thong in front of judges, as is referred to in the article.
    Last edited by Apex Predator; 01-12-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Spelling