Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, what about Ham? and salami? page

verdilak is offline Member

Shop Now

Is ham and bacon okay to eat?

The only bacon I buy and eat is the uncured kind.

The only ham I buy and eat is the kind that comes with the bone, has no sugars, with only 2% of the salt and nitrates crap.

I dont eat it all the time, but a few chunks/slices every couple of days with some romaine lettuce leaves as a make-shift wrap/sandwich... is that paleo or am I just kidding myself?

Also, salami. I love Genoa salami.

Typically, Genoa salami is a pork salami, although some producers mix in beef and veal as well. In addition to the loosely chopped pork, Genoa salami also includes garlic, salt, fennel seeds, whole peppercorns, and a small amount of white wine. The peppercorns create explosions of spice in the finished product, making Genoa salami a rather zesty food to eat. By tradition, white peppercorns are usually used in Genoa salami.

This says to me that Genoa salami that one gets from a deli or meat market should be rather primal. But I know they prolly add the nitrates and extra salt to it. So, again with the ham, am I just kidding myself or not?

And if I AM kidding myself, will this ruin me? I mean, if I am LC and 100% paleo/primal friendly food in order to lose weight, will eating ham, salami, bacon once every couple of days stop the weight loss?

Oh, and I fast daily, eating 1 meal a day 3-4 days a week, and eating 2 meals a day the other 3-4 days of the week. Never 3 meals a day.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986

mcschmidt_00 is offline Junior Member
    Bump ... curious about this too.

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    I like both on occasion, had some ham in a BAS for dinner. I don't think it has effected my weight loss, one thing i have noticed is that the more processed hams are really low fat so I try to stick with ham on the bone.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I love ham, and we eat it often. Like the op we buy ham on the bone, without sugar and extra crap. We're not concerned with nitrates really.

Genoa salami is a great treat! Mmmmmm so tangy and spicy. I don't consider it a staple food, but definitely a great primal treat.

I've decided to eat my Genoa Salami and my Ham since the ones I get have no sugars or corn products involved and my ham I get from off the bone.

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    Concerns with ham or salami can be classified into:

a) Hidden carbs: sugar or starches and all their variations (including, for eg.: evaporated organic cane juice).
    b) Salt content.
    c) Too lean. This can be a concern if there are not enough fats in other parts of the diet.
    d) Much less bang for the buck (i.e. protein / $ or fat / $) than when buying fresh meats. I find that getting the good stuff costs much more than just buying quality meats and preparing them. You get a little convenience in exchange, and it'll be up to you to gauge how much you value this convenience.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    For bacon, check this article out:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-quick-guide-to-bacon/.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Cured and smoked meats are my passion, and I love making them myself. Just made 8 pounds of hickory smoked sausage yesterday with all primal ingredients. Some store-bought varieties are okay, and they're often my go-to food when I have no other options at work. The convenience factor is huge, and they're often healthier than the other available options like fried food or Chinese take-out. We've talked a lot about nitrates here; there's nothing to worry about. Most of the "nitrate-free" brands use celery juice, which the FDA doesn't force them to disclose, but it's all the same thing. I'd far rather there were nitrates and no botulism, than have botulism and no nitrates! And the trace amounts of carbs in store-bought sausage are not enough to worry about, although I often wonder why the manufacturers put that crap in their sausage. It's certainly unnecessary.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    A word of caution, though.
    Smoked meats, bacon, sausages are so very tasty, it's easy for some people to eat WAY more than they need.
    I was one of those people ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast