Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Water? page

TKBSJ is offline Member

Coconut Water?

Primal Fuel
    Apologies if this has already been discussed (I couldn't find anything specific on the advanced search...)

I am interested in adding some coconut water into my diet after reading a lot about its potassium and mineral properties...

I'd dive right in but its quite expensive here so I was wondering...has anyone out there experienced any really positive or negative effects of regularly drinking coconut water?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I use it as a sport drink alternative for rehydration after intense workouts but don't really drink it daily. It works well for that purpose, but I only drink about a 250 ml serving. I buy it in the 1L tetra boxes and go through one every couple of weeks.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

lazatiger is offline Member
    I treat myself to it once in a while. I have a membership to GNC and get it cheaper there. I buy VitaCoco as that's the only kind I really like. It's so good. I'm thinking about trying it in smoothies :D

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I use it as a sport drink alternative for rehydration after intense workouts but don't really drink it daily. It works well for that purpose, but I only drink about a 250 ml serving. I buy it in the 1L tetra boxes and go through one every couple of weeks.
    +1
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Ande is offline Senior Member
    It is expensive and depending on the brand, it can have quite a bit of carbs, so if you are watching it there then just exercise moderation.
    Personally I love coconut water but because of the cost, and the carbs, and the fact that my favorite brand comes in a 2 serving can which I can't refrigerate after just one serving do to poor willpower, I avoid it. However, if I worked out more, and had more money, I would definitely drink a lot of it if not just for the potassium alone as it's such a great source.
    BTW, my fav brand is C2O Pure Coconut Water. They carry it at Whole Foods, although sporadically in my area. Second fav is Natural Factor Organic Coconut Water, more potassium in that brand per serving, and the small can means less carbs and no need for willpower.

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    I drink it pre-race (running that is) with some extra electrolytes, maybe 60 calories worth. Think of it as gatorade.

Its also excellent to drink when hungover -- drink it cold -- or as a prophylactic right before bed if you've had some to drink.

ancestral_stars is offline Junior Member
    I like the stuff but only use it on occasion. It is pretty high in sugar and there are better sources of the minerals. But for re hydration after illness or .. uh.. hangovers. .. it cant be beat=)

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    I buy young coconuts fresh off the tree and open them with my machete, and yes, I swear by them. Daily. I love coconut water!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Coconut water is going in my labor and delivery bag, but otherwise I don't tend to drink it b/c of the carbs.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Geopame is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I drink coconut water after working out because it contains electrolytes (read here about coconut water nutrition facts), i can't say that im a fan of coconut products but water is qute delicious, thirst quenching and not too sweet.
    Last edited by Geopame; 09-13-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast