Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie here . . . has this happened to anyone? Two unrelated questions. page

Mhatcher17 is offline Member

Newbie here . . . has this happened to anyone? Two unrelated questions.

Primal Fuel
    I worked out two days ago using the PB fitness routines. I am mostly completing level one exercises and I can get to the number suggested, but barely. Anyway, I tried to work out today and I could not hold myself in a plank for over 30 seconds. I did the other exercises . . . but could not do the planks. Muscles feel tired and really sore. Should I try to wait another day in-between until my body starts getting used to working out again?

Second, I have no space for a pull up bar, so I have one of the ones that fit in the doorway. It is not high enough to stand on a chair and it is too high for me to do with out an aid so thus far I have been using a step stool. One foot on the ground and one foot on the stool and I use the foot on the floor to help then when that foot in in the air I use the foot on the stool to help me the rest of the way up. I then lower myself slowly without using much to help. Am I ok doing that?

Just so you know my background--former chronic cardio, have lost 15 lbs but just starting to workout again after injury.

Thanks for your help!

peril is offline Senior Member
    You should only do the LHT exercises twice a week
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Negative chin ups, what you're doing, is the BEST AND FASTEST way to get to a real
    unassited dead hang chin up.

Keep up with those.

With regard to the other, yeah, quit the planks for a few days and see how you feel, say,
    by Monday. Then give them another try.

Direct core exercises like that do NOT need to be performed every single day.

Two days a week is optimal, more than that is just a waste of time, that is for DEDICATED DIRECT CORE
    EXERCISES.

If you're mixing in squats, deadlifts and other moves that affect your core, groovy, you're golden, and
    can do those three times a week in addition to your two days of planks or whatever.

Good luck, and take it easy.

The first time I ever lifted a weight and did negative chinups, I could BARELY MOVE the next day.

Here I thought the full body routine I had was easy peasy, because I too was Cronic Cardio Queen,
    doing 2.5 hours of INTERVALS on the treadmill every.single.day.

When I finished the full body workout, which was a 3X8, I was like "is that it?".

Yeah, well, the next day - all I could mumble was "holy f*ck, how am I going to be able to
    do anything for my kids today! THIS WEEK?!?!?!"

So take it easy, and don't rush into it. Listen to your body, but don't be a slackard either. HA!

Julie

Mhatcher17 is offline Member
    Thanks! For some reason I though that LHT was 3x a week . . . guess I better read over the material again!

Julie, what do you mean when you said,

"and can do those three times a week in addition to your two days of planks or whatever."

So are other strength exercises ok to do as well?

I would think so.

I started a full body lifting program in 2007, when I was 39 and had
    never lifted a weight in my life.

I was doing it EVERY OTHER DAY and I didn't succumb to any deleterious
    effects.

In fact, it became my crack, and I almost had to pitch a tent in the gym because
    I never wanted to leave.

What you need to do, if you're going to start with weights, is really focus on form
    and get your ego out of "how much weight" you're lifting.

That's where people run into trouble and hurt themselves.

I think if you wanted to do a full body routine, you could do it every two days
    as long as you felt okay.

Recently I took a training break and didn't go to the gym for 1.5months.

I went on Wednesday and did my usual thing, and was going to go again today,
    but since I basically need a WHEELCHAIR NOW and a NANNY for my children
    because I have the worst case of DOMS EVER (delayed onset muscle soreness),
    yeah, I'm going to save that training session for tomorrow....... heh.

Let me know if you'd like my full body routine. It's a very basic push/pull routine
    that hits everything, and can be done with dumbbells if you have any, or access
    to a gym.

Julie
    p.s. i never did any direct ab/core work while doing this routine and my
    midsection wasn't exactly cut like a washboard, but boy was it svelte!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Oh man you guys are scaring me. I signed up for fitness classes, weight lifting and stuff like that. Classes start Tuesday. Should I install bars next to my toilet and in my shower?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

I guess it depends on how many reps of stuff you're going to do
    and if it's bodyweight or weighted.

What I did on Wednesday, for legs, was a 3X5 of lunges with
    an extra 30lbs (I used to be able to use 50) and then I did a
    3X10 on the lying leg press with JUST the skid... down low,
    wide stance.

Even today, getting onto the toilet is a freaking CHORE.

It's like I've never worked out before in my life and it seems to
    be getting worse as the minutes tick on. SO LAME!

Oh well, it's what I get for taking a month and a half off, but seriously, I feel 95.

Moronic.

So after your classes (hopefully they're not back to back days) give yourself time
    to see how you feel. If DOMS don't hit one day, you may just be in for it on the
    second day. Ya never know.

I'm now going to take myself on a lame ass 6 mile walk on flat ground.

Better find my walker. . . .

Love Always,

Grandma

p.s. today I worked in my son's 1st grade classroom (i correct the homework), and after sitting
    in those little itsy bitsy chairs, at the itsy bitsy desks, getting UP from that stupid micro chair, I
    almost let out a groan like an old person it hurt so much! GAH! SERIOUSLY?

as god as my witness, i will never take a month and a half off again........

Ha ha you make me laugh. I have felt really sore after some crazy-ass hikes, so sore that I have to lower myself to the toilet holding on to the sink. It's so embarrassing. I will try to take it really easy at this class. I have no idea what the classes are like, but I'll try not to let the instructor push me. The class I want is 2x a week. The description says "You'll primarily use free weights and gravity as resistance with some stability balls and bands thrown in." I think that sounds like the right thing.

Yeah, that sounds pretty good.

Should be perfect to start off with.

I hear you on the hiking thing, though you hike WAY longer than I ever have.

My cousin was getting ready for a trip to Nepal, so we decided to do a trail over
    here called the PG&E trail.

10 miles, no biggie, I've done longer, but what I didn't realize (but I should have
    since my cousin was going to FREAKING NEPAL FOR A MONTH MOUNTAIN SCALING),
    was that the hike was 5 miles straight up, then 5 miles straight down.

Not only was I wanting to hang myself from ANY tree, mid-way, but it was ENDLESS...

Endless I tell you. I thought I'd never make it out alive.

And then the next day, I wished I was dead.

'Course, like childbirth (which is funny in itself cuz I had two c-sections), we
    did it the next weekend too... and then the next... and then the next.

Never got easier and still felt the same the next day.

Musta been catnip.... or meth in the air or something. Snicker...

Julie

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds like a great hike. Sometimes those brutal ones are the best. When I do them with friends, we laugh at the brutality. There's a long distance trail called the Continental Divide Trail (~3000 miles long--no I haven't done it) that has the motto "Embrace the Brutality." I totally want that printed on a shirt or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast