Thread: Daily MDA Reader Ready to Take the Primal Plunge! page

valeo44 is offline Junior Member

Red face Daily MDA Reader Ready to Take the Primal Plunge!

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I've been reading the articles on this site for a few months now, along with other Paleo/Primal references and websites. I have come to love *this* site especially because:

- everyone here seems so supportive, intelligent, and passionate!
    - pretty much everything is backed up with honest to goodness science, but explained in a way that this arts major can understand
    - I love the way Mark writes and references other articles - it's not hard to spend hours on this site (I think one member referred to it as a "hyperlink wormhole" - love it!)

I have been overweight most of my life, but have packed on over 100 lbs in the past 12 years. Problem is, it's not only starting to affect my health (I'm currently at 310 lbs), but it's preventing me from doing so many of the things I want to do in life!

I'm currently taking PPI's for GERD and have been for the past 3 months. I just finished a ton of reading today on how going primal can eliminate GERD and how GERD is not caused by an overproduction of stomach acid - what an eye opener! I'm also currently fighting a sinus infection which is taking longer to do than it has in the past. Also, what's up with the fact that I've been sick 3 times this year when normally I never get sick? I'm 100% convinced it's my diet and all the fast food, refined carbs, and crap I am putting into it.

So, I look forward to reading more MDA, hearing from you all, and being a support to all of you out there going through the same struggle. My goal is to submit a Success Story when I'm down to a good/healthy weight. Your stories and experiences have already helped me immensely, so thank you, and here's to a great 2012...
    Last edited by valeo44; 01-05-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Post too long

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    I think you're going to have some great experience with your health if you stick to a Primal way of living! I know my heartburn vanishes when I cut the GRAINS. Interestingly, I can eat all the potato I want and I have no heartburn or weight gain. I can't lose weight, of course, but potato is a safe cheat - even in the french fried form. But throw two slices of bread in there, and I've got raging heartburn and mood issues that don't exist when I'm grain free.

So my advice to you as you start is, if NOTHING ELSE, stay grain free. Even during your 20%. Good luck!

valeo44 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks so much! That is my plan for sure, even with the 20%. I definitely have a sensitivity to grains/gluten... Not celiac, but definite sensitivity.. I've been told, so as to not remain in ketosis all the time, but also to be able to drop some pounds, that it's okay to eat tubers (sweet potato and potato, too) but to keep it between 50 and 100 g of carbs per day. I am so looking forward to 2012 and feeling better with this new lifestyle.
    "Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's *just* a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, 'He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man', or 'That's not a diamond, it's just a rock.' Just."
    ~ Finding Neverland