Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why have I've become so sensitive page

evertastica is offline Member

Why have I've become so sensitive

Sorry about the error in the title :/ Can't edit that

I became primal in July 2011, followed it fairly strictly the first few weeks then went more 80/20.
    I cut out all processed junk/sugar/wheat/grains/gluten the whole thing. Now I would occassionally slip up, but not badly.

Now I've noticed that my sensitivity to foods has grown. I used to consume all sorts of crap but now, after not consuming fruit for a few weeks (various reasons...) I had some apples/raisins the past few nights. I feel absolutely horrible from it, I woke up dying of thirst one of the nights, and now i've developed a lovely painful cyst just inside my ear. My face has started breaking out too. Did some research and it is most likely a reaction due to sugar. Really!?! This is just fruit, yes it may have been in a little excess but this was never an issue before.

I have have had similar reactions to peanut butter too. And I cut out/down on dairy too a few weeks ago, then starting consuming some HC and got super bloated.

When I tell people i'm allergic to wheat/gluten/corn/peanuts/dairy i'm using it as an excuse to not explain primal/paleo. I guess it's become the truth...

I'm just wondering if anyone else experienced this since changing their habits? How can my body go from tolerating it for years to this?
    Last edited by evertastica; 01-05-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Think of it this way: Now that you have eliminated the bad stuff from your diet, your body no longer has its "defenses" up for those things. The inflammation and other symptoms is your bodies DEFENSE against these things. When a toxin is found, tissue fills up with water as to dilute it. Whatever it may be (inflammation, antibodies) your body has reduced it because the threat is gone.

Many people believe "not getting sick" is the sign of a good immune system. It's just the opposite. The reaction your body has to the intruder IS your immune system at work. Phlegm, inflammation, these are all signs of WORKING defenses.
    Last edited by Bosnic; 01-05-2012 at 02:53 PM.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    For a while I've wondered if I should eat a little sugar or a piece of bread occasionally just to keep up my resistance, so to speak. It's all well and good to eat clean and primal, but I don't want to get stuck in a fast-food hell where I can't have anything at all. I can't IF for days on end either.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

evertastica is offline Member
    Bosnic, thanks! I never really thought about my body having defenses up/down for such things. Guess it explains my reactions, also makes me wonder how sick most people are today...just not aware.

Oxide, yes this makes me a little afraid of having those little treats/cheats. Even stuff thats still primal, but I don't want to deal with negitive reactions for days after

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    For a while I've wondered if I should eat a little sugar or a piece of bread occasionally just to keep up my resistance, so to speak. It's all well and good to eat clean and primal, but I don't want to get stuck in a fast-food hell where I can't have anything at all. I can't IF for days on end either.
    Don't worry your body will readjust again quickly if thats all you have to eat. I have increased my sensitivity just as much as all of you. I couldnt take much of anything.. then when I went on my honeymoon and slowly fell off the wagon because I didnt want to have to stress about every bite and the tours did not always have primal options and I wanted to enjoy local fare.. my body soon tolerated the crap again. I even had danishes for breakfast one morning without much of a problem..now it would put my stomach it knots and make me want to puke.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evertastica View Post
    Bosnic, thanks! I never really thought about my body having defenses up/down for such things. Guess it explains my reactions, also makes me wonder how sick most people are today...just not aware.

Oxide, yes this makes me a little afraid of having those little treats/cheats. Even stuff thats still primal, but I don't want to deal with negitive reactions for days after
    I think its good! It makes it so much easier to stay away when you have bad reactions! It's just not worth the pain then we dont have to worry about slipperly slope.

huntingBears is offline Senior Member
    Many people believe "not getting sick" is the sign of a good immune system. It's just the opposite. The reaction your body has to the intruder IS your immune system at work. Phlegm, inflammation, these are all signs of WORKING defenses.
    christ what a trully depressing thought - bad immune system = no sickness, good immune system = sickness at the smallest things

I think I've become more sensitive to things since turning primal which i hoped would be the opposite - once the body stops being swamped by toxins etc it can recover and efficiently deal with the small amounts that come with the occasional slip ups, but instead it seems becoming a 'finely tuned' person = extreme sensitivity, by this logic asthma and hayfever should all get worse on this diet
    If man made it, don't eat it

VTmeetsMontréal is offline Senior Member
    Hi there - Just wanted to let you know I think this is totally normal and I had the same experience. I cut all the breads/sugars/grains/processed anything from my diet for a while... then whenever I slip now I feel itchy everywhere, swell up immediately with water and break out. I now use this as a motivator to not slip up when something looks tempting, because frankly, you do now have a mild allergy to these things! Think of how horrible you'll feel after the treat ... and suddenly it doesn't look so appealing

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    What you described as the example sounds like Fructose Malabsorption.
    Fructose malabsorption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it's entirely possible that you will become less sensitive over time, especially if you eat lots of gut-friendly food (continuing primal & making sure your gut flora is in good shape with probiotics or probiotic foods).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are you sure raisins and fruit caused your break-out? I would wait for something like that to happen at least twice before I decided it wasn't a coincidence.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast