Thread: Butter vs. Lard question page

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member

Butter vs. Lard question

Hi!

I have been doing lots of cooking since switching to Primal, which I'm loving. I just got copies of a couple of Paleo and Primal cookbooks and am happily trying new dishes. Here's the thing: I can't have dairy at all, and I want the recipes to come out how they are supposed to. Butter is out and, unfortunately, ghee seems to be troublesome for me, too.

I'm thinking I should just substitute lard for butter in recipes? Does that seem like the best plan for it to taste the most like it should?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would think that grass-fed beef tallow or coconut oil would be the best choices. Lard would be next.

There are some casein-free brands of ghee you can buy if you really want it - but I believe it is fairly expensive. You could also make your own and triple filter it to see if that helps. May not be worth the effort - but ghee is so delicious it might be!!

activia is offline Senior Member
    Lard is delicous! I use it for everything, what kind of recipes are you substituting it in? I'm not sure about paleo franken foods but it tastes delicous on any plant/animals I've put it on.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    You can use lard, tallow or coconut oil as good butter substitutions. It depends on whether the dish is sweet or aha and how strong the other flavours are, as to whether I use one or t'other. Sometimes lard can have a strong flavour.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

jammies- I can't have coconut either!! Bummer, but my body just will not tolerate it. Unfortunately, my local grocer can only get tallow in the summer (I have no idea why) but I look forward to trying it then... I'm thinking about trying ghee again in February. I'm doing whole 30 for this month, so don't really want to introduce something new while I'm cleaning my body up. I was sure it wouldn't affect me, but it made me break out... I guess I could try another brand?

activia- no franken foods here! The recipes I'm looking at are quite varied, including things from egg frittatas and omelets to pan fried steaks and pork chops. I generally use duck fat with my eggs, but am kinda tired of the poultry taste and also don't think it will be ideal on stuff like chops, etc.

activia is offline Senior Member
    You can always get the tallow here: U.S. Wellness Meats — Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too.
    I need a chest freezer just for tallow!

Hmm how about bacon fat for the eggs? Lard is delicous...I just love it. So does my husband. I've cooked it on all sorts of meat/veggies but never eggs. I think it might be strange with a sweet meal, I also dont cook things with curry or heavy spice..so not sure how well it mixes there.

I'll give it a go! I'm making pork chops tonight, so we'll see how it goes.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Tallow is really easy to make. Try asking your local butcher to save you some of the need fat they trim off. Just chop it into small pieces, place in a pan over a low heat and leave until the pieces are golden brown crunchy pieces of goodness and the oil now in the pa has stopped bubbling.

Pour through a sieve into a container to get out the crunchy bits, place these in a bowl and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper
    Another easy way that I use is to make stews or curries with fatty cuts and scoop the oily layer from the top, this is tallow too, but it's infused with all the spices of the dish. Great for making fried eggs or veggies more exciting
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow- great info Misabi!! Thank you!