Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Splenda Addict page

22599 is offline Junior Member

Splenda Addict

Primal Fuel
    Hey Guys: Just started the PB way of eating after reading the book. I have always been low carb, in good shape but in my first week of this new way of eating. The hardest part for me has been adding so much fat to my diet as I have always been low carb/low fat. But my allergies suck so hoping this helps and I have to say...three eggs over easy and a side of bacon is awfully fun! ANYWAY, I am a 99-1 guy...but need my coffee and my Splenda (dextrose, maltodextrin, sucralose) with it. But for the Splenda I am wholly Primal. Am I better off having real sugar instead (ewwww)? What are the effects of these artificial sweeteners on my body? Should I be concerned or scared straight to black coffee (I don't like creamers). Lastly, should I be limiting my coffee intake. I currently drink about three cups of strong coffee a day. Way addicted.

Thanks!

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    This was all I had to read a couple of years ago to get me off the White Death.

I had 100% of all the symptoms and had no idea that it was from the splenda.

I actually went on Prozac for a time thinking I was depressed (and if you know me, "depressed" is
    not in my vocabularly - more "hyper and annoyingly happy" is more like it).

When I quit the splenda (I was using 10 packets a day), I noticed improvements in two weeks.

After that, I was a brand new person!

Artificial Sweeteners -- More Dangerous than You Ever Imagined

Julie

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    poison in a packet!

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    You don't need it. It's poison.

Alainneire is offline Senior Member
    I used to love Splenda - bought into the whole "natural, made from sugar etc" crap. It has been POSSIBLY LINKED to several illnesses including thyroid disorder. And i did develop Graves disease after consuming it like mad for years.... Not saying it caused it, just saying i'm sure it didn't help my health. Now my motto is if i can't grow it, i won't eat it.... Stevia is my sweetener of choice, i actually grow my own and make my own extract... but i think even the store bought is FAR better than any sugar substitute. In a pinch however, regular (raw) sugar is my go-to.....

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member
    I go back and forth on stuff like this.

First, you're not going to be perfect overnight. I've been doing this for a year now, and I do it MUCH better now than I did when I started, and I've experimented with lots of different things over the course of the year.

However, there has been a constant in that I've gotten DRASTICALLY healthier over the course of the year.

So part of me thinks that the Splenda (even though it's nasty stuff) probably isn't the biggest of worries right now.

The other part of me wants to tell you to cut it for 30 days (you can do without it for a month), and see how feel. Then, if you want, add it back in, and see if you notice anything different.

PrimalPam is offline Member
    I've been a Splenda addict for years. On January 1, only 5 days ago, I started eating "truly" paleo, and I started following Dr. Kruse's recs: Super hi-pro breakfast, absolutely zero snacking, addince coconut oil every chance I get. I bought some Stevia for my morning coffee but had run out.

So right now, as I type, I'm drinking coffee with 2 packets of Splenda, as I don't have any more Stevia. I was JUST thinking, right before I read this thread, how "too sweet" and awful my coffee tastes, and how I need to get back to the Stevia, or even none at all.

For the month of December, I "tried" (yes, in quotes) to eat Paleo but I binged on sugar because it was there. So I decided to really start the Leptin Reset on Jan. 1. I have slept better these past 5 nights than in the past 5 years.

I think that with time, the sweet cravings for Splenda will completely go away. All I can say right now is, I can't stand the thought of finishing this cup of coffee, but I put 1/2 tbsp. of coconut oil in it & I don't want to waste it.

Pam
    5'2" 156.6 lbs.
    Turning 50 in a couple of months....
    Would loooove to get off this Synthroid

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    you're better off using a tsp or two of sugar than eating that crap. what part of "artificial sweetener" makes it appetizing or a good choice to people? i just don't get stuff like this...

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    you're better off using a tsp or two of sugar than eating that crap. what part of "artificial sweetener" makes it appetizing or a good choice to people? i just don't get stuff like this...
    +1

That's exactly what I did, too.

Started off with a tablespoon a day (yeah, I know, get off me) for a week, to half of one, then a teaspoon a day, then to nothing
    but 15g of heavy cream in my coffee.

It took a month, but man did I feel better.

My husband still uses splenda and feels nothing from it. 3 packets.

I make his coffee for him on the weekends along with mine, and one time I took a sip, thinking
    it was mine, but it was HIS. I almost spit it all over the kitchen it was so damn sweet. Holy f*ckballs
    I thought to myself! I used to drink that shit all the time and think NOTHING of it. GAH!

Nasty disgusting Cup -O- Chemicals...... can't even CALL it a cup of joe - joe DIED.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Only you can determine if it is impacting you badly. Try going without for at least 2 weeks, and see if you want to go back.

In my case, stopping to drink coffee drastically improved my sleep and energy levels. The first week was hell on Earth, and then it was great. Now, i drink a cup of hot broth instead of coffee in the morning. I just buy Campbell's Organic, dilute it some with water to prevent the salt kick, and I find that it smells, tastes and picks me up waaay better than coffee!

With sugar, I never had it in coffee or tea, ever since my grandma put salt into my tea by mistake when i was 6 yo, but I used splenda on dairy and in smoothies, then switched to Stevia, and now I am doing Whole 30 at a 'no sweet flavors' clause, no fruit, no sweet potato, no carrots... I know that I am a sugar addict, and I really want to break the dependency.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast